HTML: ALT and TITLE Attributes

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Blinky the Shark, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. Since there was a brief discussion in here this week (as thread drift
    somewhere), I thought I'd give this a paste -- having just seen
    someone else post it in another group, from the horse's mouth: W3C.

    ===

    alt = text [CS]
    For user agents that cannot display images, forms, or applets, this
    attribute specifies alternate text. The language of the alternate text
    is specified by the lang attribute.
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#adef-alt

    title = text [CS]
    This attribute offers advisory information about the element for which
    it is set.
    [...]
    Values of the title attribute may be rendered by user agents in a
    variety of ways. For instance, visual browsers frequently display the
    title as a "tool tip" (a short message that appears when the pointing
    device pauses over an object). [...]
    http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-title

    ===

    --