    who buy its phones than the networks who want to fleece those customers
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/breaking-htc-confirms-bootloaders-of-android-phones-will-be-unlocked/2643>.

    (Disclaimer: yes, I own a piece of HTC hardware.)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2011

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 28/05/2011 10:17 a.m., geoff wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Excellent news, to hear that a handset vendor cares more about the
    >> customers who buy its phones than the networks who want to fleece
    >> those customers
    >> <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/breaking-htc-confirms-bootloaders-of-android-phones-will-be-unlocked/2643>.
    >>
    >> (Disclaimer: yes, I own a piece of HTC hardware.)

    > Does that mean you'll be able to load up a PhoneLin then ?
    >
    > geoff

    How much do you know about Android ?
    victor, May 28, 2011

  3. And not just HTC, other handset vendors are becoming more accommodating too
    <http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/05/smartphone-makers-bow-to-demands-for-more-openness.ars>.

    Note the caveats about what the network operators might or might not allow:
    in the US, hardly any phones are bought on their own, they seem to come
    almost exclusively as part of a contract. In Europe, on the other hand, I
    understand buying phones on their own is quite popular.

    I bought my HTC on its own. What do other folks in NZ tend to do?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 28, 2011
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 29/05/2011 1:36 p.m., geoff wrote:

    > PhoneLin was a play on 'Phone Linux'. Sorry if a bit obscure....
    >
    > geoff

    Android uses the linux kernel.
    victor, May 29, 2011
  5. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >victor wrote:
    >> On 29/05/2011 1:36 p.m., geoff wrote:
    >>> PhoneLin was a play on 'Phone Linux'. Sorry if a bit obscure....

    >> Android uses the linux kernel.

    >Sure, but you can't just drop Red Hat ( Old Hat ?), Mandrake, Debian,
    >Ubuntu, or whatever on yer phone and run all yer Linux apps and type in
    >obscure command lines and whatever enthusiasts like Laz do....

    ... plenty of cut down linux versions out there for mobile devices though.
    :)
    Bruce Sinclair, May 30, 2011
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    On 30/05/2011 9:58 a.m., geoff wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >> On 29/05/2011 1:36 p.m., geoff wrote:
    >>

    >>> PhoneLin was a play on 'Phone Linux'. Sorry if a bit obscure....
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Android uses the linux kernel.

    > Sure, but you can't just drop Red Hat ( Old Hat ?), Mandrake, Debian,
    > Ubuntu, or whatever on yer phone and run all yer Linux apps and type in
    > obscure command lines and whatever enthusiasts like Laz do....
    >
    > geoff

    Whats your point ?
    You can't put Windows on them either.
    victor, May 30, 2011
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    On 30/05/11 09:58, geoff wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >> On 29/05/2011 1:36 p.m., geoff wrote:
    >>

    >>> PhoneLin was a play on 'Phone Linux'. Sorry if a bit
    >>> obscure....
    >>>
    >>> geoff
    >>>

    >> Android uses the linux kernel.

    > Sure, but you can't just drop Red Hat ( Old Hat ?), Mandrake,
    > Debian, Ubuntu, or whatever on yer phone and run all yer Linux apps
    > and type in obscure command lines and whatever enthusiasts like Laz
    > do....

    http://www.timeguy.com/cradek/htc-pocketputty

    Cheers,

    Cliff