.htaccess question - HELP!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by paris, Apr 25, 2008.

  1. paris

    paris Guest

    Greetings ...

    Sorry for the length of this - but it's very important to me!
    Try and read the entire post. Thanks!

    I'm trying to input code from a text link site - so I can offer paid
    text
    links on my site. The text link company is telling me that I need to
    edit my .htaccess file in order for the code to work on my site!

    This is what they instructed for me to do:

    HTML to PHP

    Turn your .html and .htm pages into PHP pages without changing the
    extention on the Apache Web Server. Problem: Your site is indexed in
    Google and has lots of .htm or .html pages that are well indexed and
    have links pointing to them. You would like to serve dynamic content
    (news, ads, blogs etc.) while keeping your page extentions intact.

    Here are the easy steps required to tell Apache to interpret
    your .html
    files as php files:

    Edit the .htaccess File: To process .html pages with PHP add the
    line:
    AddType application/x-httpd.php .html

    To process both .html and .htm pages with PHP add the line:
    AddType application/x-httpd.php .html .htm

    This implementation should work on most servers, but some might
    require
    the extra line:
    AddHandler x-httpd.php .html

    Some Servers require:
    addtype application/x-httpd-php .html
    AddHandler x-httpd-php .html

    Notice the httpd-php instead of the httpd.php

    I went to my server using ws_ftp --- and I see .htaccess
    but I also see other .htaccess files with groups of numbers.

    Altogether I have 5. i with .htaccess - and 3 with .htaccess with
    numbers following - and 1 .htaccess.bak

    Also - how do I edit it? Do I simply download the .htaccess to my
    desktop - and open it with notepad? Ad the lines and then upload
    it back to my server? Is that what I do?

    Any help will be so greatly appreciated! Remember - I am new to
    this - so please - walk me through it - step by step!

    Thanks again for your understanding!!!

    Paris

    paris, Apr 25, 2008

  2. paris

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 19:25:30 -0700 (PDT), paris wrote:

    There was another recent query on .htaccess, and links to tutorial sites
    and manual.

    From: Laurie <>
    Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    Subject: Anyone know about htaccess files on websites?
    Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 10:37:59 -0700 (PDT)

    Look for that thread,

    >Greetings ...
    >
    >Sorry for the length of this - but it's very important to me!

    Only to you, so somewhere below is a clear description of your problem?

    >Try and read the entire post. Thanks!
    >
    >I'm trying to input code from a text link site - so I can offer paid

    Don't name the site / company in case anyone else knows about it.

    >text
    >links on my site. The text link company is telling me that I need to

    If it's paid links, pay somone to fix it for you then recover the money
    from the link usage later.

    >edit my .htaccess file in order for the code to work on my site!
    >
    >This is what they instructed for me to do:
    >

    >HTML to PHP
    >
    >Turn your .html and .htm pages into PHP pages without changing the
    >extention on the Apache Web Server. Problem: Your site is indexed in
    >Google and has lots of .htm or .html pages that are well indexed and
    >have links pointing to them. You would like to serve dynamic content
    >(news, ads, blogs etc.) while keeping your page extentions intact.
    >

    >Here are the easy steps required to tell Apache to interpret
    >your .html
    >files as php files:
    >
    >Edit the .htaccess File: To process .html pages with PHP add the
    >line:
    >AddType application/x-httpd.php .html
    >
    >To process both .html and .htm pages with PHP add the line:
    >AddType application/x-httpd.php .html .htm
    >
    >This implementation should work on most servers, but some might
    >require
    >the extra line:
    >AddHandler x-httpd.php .html
    >
    >Some Servers require:
    >addtype application/x-httpd-php .html
    >AddHandler x-httpd-php .html
    >
    >Notice the httpd-php instead of the httpd.php

    Fine.

    >I went to my server using ws_ftp --- and I see .htaccess
    >but I also see other .htaccess files with groups of numbers.

    Better, can see hidden files. The numbers are permissions read, write
    etc for owner, group, rest of world and dog access.
    http://www.perlfect.com/articles/chmod.shtml

    >Altogether I have 5. i with .htaccess - and 3 with .htaccess with
    >numbers following - and 1 .htaccess.bak
    >
    >Also - how do I edit it? Do I simply download the .htaccess to my
    >desktop - and open it with notepad? Ad the lines and then upload
    >it back to my server? Is that what I do?

    Yes, you haven't tried it?

    Why the long post with hosting info about HTML to PHP when your entire
    question was only about how to edit the file?

    >Any help will be so greatly appreciated! Remember - I am new to
    >this - so please - walk me through it - step by step!

    Find the thread mentioned at the top, or www.google.com , something
    simple like

    apache htaccess manual

    Apache Tutorial: .htaccess files
    When AllowOverride is set to allow the use of .htaccess files, Apache
    will look in every directory for .htaccess files. Thus, permitting
    ..htaccess files ...
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/howto/htaccess.html
    - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

    Can't remember about WS_FTP , but CuteFTP aill open a text editor from
    the server filelist pane, don't need to d/l - notepad - edit and upload.

    >Thanks again for your understanding!!!
    >

    >Paris

    Me

    why?, Apr 25, 2008