    any ideas?
    cheers
    White Shadow
    ahoy hoy, Aug 12, 2005

  2. ahoy hoy

    Andrew Guest

    ahoy hoy wrote:
    > i want to upgrade my cpu to the max my mother board will allow
    > My MB is 533 FSB skt 478
    > i notice there is a 3 ghz cpu for 533 FSB, but it has hyper threading,
    > and as far as im aware my mb doest support hyper threading.
    >
    > to be a cheap skate, i was wondering if the cpu would still work with a
    > non hyper threading supported mb. ie the hyper threading will be ignored
    > or will it crash n burn itself lol
    >
    > any ideas?
    > cheers
    > White Shadow

    HT will be ignored
    Andrew, Aug 12, 2005

  3. "ahoy hoy" <> wrote in message
    >i want to upgrade my cpu to the max my mother board will allow
    > My MB is 533 FSB skt 478
    > i notice there is a 3 ghz cpu for 533 FSB, but it has hyper threading, and
    > as far as im aware my mb doest support hyper threading.
    >
    > to be a cheap skate, i was wondering if the cpu would still work with a
    > non hyper threading supported mb. ie the hyper threading will be ignored
    > or will it crash n burn itself lol
    >
    > any ideas?
    > cheers
    > White Shadow

    If it's an older board, an old northwood P4 2.8 533FSB would be your best
    bet.

    Cheers,
    Steve
    Stephen Williams, Aug 12, 2005
  4. ahoy hoy

    thingy Guest

    Andrew wrote:
    > ahoy hoy wrote:
    >
    >> i want to upgrade my cpu to the max my mother board will allow
    >> My MB is 533 FSB skt 478
    >> i notice there is a 3 ghz cpu for 533 FSB, but it has hyper threading,
    >> and as far as im aware my mb doest support hyper threading.
    >>
    >> to be a cheap skate, i was wondering if the cpu would still work with
    >> a non hyper threading supported mb. ie the hyper threading will be
    >> ignored or will it crash n burn itself lol
    >>
    >> any ideas?
    >> cheers
    >> White Shadow
    >>

    > HT will be ignored

    I thought HT would be a OS thing, so not noticed by the motherboard....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Aug 12, 2005
  5. ahoy hoy

    Enkidu Guest

    thingy wrote:

    > I thought HT would be a OS thing, so not noticed by the motherboard....

    Apparently not, as you can turn it on/off in the BIOS. (I'm
    99% certain - haven't booted into a BIOS with HT processor
    recently)

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 12, 2005
  6. ahoy hoy

    Paul Guest

    A 533 mhz mb needs a 3 ghz CPU
    in order for the HT option to appear in
    the BIOS. No 3 ghz CPU installed, you
    wont see the HT option to turn it off/on
    in the BIOS.

    If your mb supports 3 ghz + it'll use HT
    if u did buy a 3 ghz CPU.

    On the other hand, if the mb was 800 mhz
    you wouldnt have to go as high as 3 ghz to
    get HT. 2.4 will give u HT.

    Paul, Aug 12, 2005