    mmark751969 Guest

    Just wondering. Can you run hsrp between 2 routers when one router is
    on the local network and the other is the isp's router. Thanks
    mmark751969, Feb 27, 2008

  2. What? Better explanation please or some kind of ascii diagram might help.

    On 2/26/08 10:27 PM, in article
    ,

    Yandy Ramirez, Feb 27, 2008

  3. mmark751969

    Trendkill Guest

    On Feb 26, 10:51 pm, Yandy Ramirez <> wrote:
    > What? Better explanation please or some kind of ascii diagram might help.
    >
    > On 2/26/08 10:27 PM, in article
    > ,
    >
    > "mmark751969" <> wrote:
    > > Just wondering. Can you run hsrp between 2 routers when one router is
    > > on the local network and the other is the isp's router. Thanks

    HSRP requires two routers that have logical interfaces in the same
    network. Provided both of the routers you are listing have interfaces
    in the network where you want HSRP, the answer is yes. If the ISP
    router is upstream, then the answer is no.
    Trendkill, Feb 27, 2008
  4. mmark751969

    Trendkill Guest

    On Feb 26, 10:51 pm, Yandy Ramirez <> wrote:
    > What? Better explanation please or some kind of ascii diagram might help.
    >
    > On 2/26/08 10:27 PM, in article
    > ,
    >
    > "mmark751969" <> wrote:
    > > Just wondering. Can you run hsrp between 2 routers when one router is
    > > on the local network and the other is the isp's router. Thanks

    Additionally and ideally, both routers should also have complete
    upstream functionality and routing. That way if one fails, the other
    has the exact same paths in and out for full network functionality.
    If you have hsrp, and .1 fails over to a second router that doesn't
    have full connectivity, or still relies on the primary router for
    upstream connectivity, then it defeats the purpose of the having hsrp
    except for LAN traffic.
    Trendkill, Feb 27, 2008
  5. mmark751969

    mmark751969 Guest

    On Feb 27, 4:52 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    > On Feb 26, 10:51 pm, Yandy Ramirez <> wrote:
    >
    > > What? Better explanation please or some kind of ascii diagram might help..

    > > On 2/26/08 10:27 PM, in article
    > > ,

    > > "mmark751969" <> wrote:
    > > > Just wondering.  Can you run hsrp between 2 routers when one router is
    > > > on the local network and the other is the isp's router.  Thanks

    > Additionally and ideally, both routers should also have complete
    > upstream functionality and routing.  That way if one fails, the other
    > has the exact same paths in and out for full network functionality.
    > If you have hsrp, and .1 fails over to a second router that doesn't
    > have full connectivity, or still relies on the primary router for
    > upstream connectivity, then it defeats the purpose of the having hsrp
    > except for LAN traffic.

    Thanks. In the network i am in currently though. I have a 7206 that
    has one gige interface connected to a switch. The gige interface has
    the following configuration

    ip address 53.141.140.1 255.255.255.0
    duplex auto
    speed auto
    media-type rj45
    negotiation auto
    standby 1 ip 53.141.140.1
    standby 1 priority 20
    standby 1 preempt

    . The 7206 is then connected to an edge switch that has a 100Mb fiber
    feed to the provider. It looks like this interface is set to do hsrp
    with preemption to the isp's switch. It looks like from what you were
    saying this cannot be possible. Is that correct? Having another
    router running hsrp in standby group 1 that is not part of the local
    network, cannot be done. Thanks
    mmark751969, Feb 27, 2008
  6. mmark751969

    Trendkill Guest

    On Feb 27, 5:02 pm, mmark751969 <> wrote:
    > On Feb 27, 4:52 am, Trendkill <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Feb 26, 10:51 pm, Yandy Ramirez <> wrote:

    > > > What? Better explanation please or some kind of ascii diagram might help.

    > > > On 2/26/08 10:27 PM, in article
    > > > ,

    > > Additionally and ideally, both routers should also have complete
    > > upstream functionality and routing. That way if one fails, the other
    > > has the exact same paths in and out for full network functionality.
    > > If you have hsrp, and .1 fails over to a second router that doesn't
    > > have full connectivity, or still relies on the primary router for
    > > upstream connectivity, then it defeats the purpose of the having hsrp
    > > except for LAN traffic.

    > Thanks. In the network i am in currently though. I have a 7206 that
    > has one gige interface connected to a switch. The gige interface has
    > the following configuration
    >
    > ip address 53.141.140.1 255.255.255.0
    > duplex auto
    > speed auto
    > media-type rj45
    > negotiation auto
    > standby 1 ip 53.141.140.1
    > standby 1 priority 20
    > standby 1 preempt
    >
    > . The 7206 is then connected to an edge switch that has a 100Mb fiber
    > feed to the provider. It looks like this interface is set to do hsrp
    > with preemption to the isp's switch. It looks like from what you were
    > saying this cannot be possible. Is that correct? Having another
    > router running hsrp in standby group 1 that is not part of the local
    > network, cannot be done. Thanks

    Well, it can't be legit since your IP address on that interface is the
    same as the HSRP address. Second, if that router were to drop, then
    how is the upstream router even going to be available to respond to .
    1, even if they were on the same network. Unless there is something I
    am missing, this does not sound like a proper solution. For proper
    HSRP, you would need to have two routers, each with an interface in
    the same LAN, with say .2 and .3 as their physical addresses, and .1
    as the hsrp address. To work properly, all devices should be be
    connected to switches with connections to each of the routers. Or
    connections to separate switches that each have connections to a
    different router. I would need a basic logical diagram, (isp router
    <----> isp switch <---->your router) with some IP addresses, and can
    probably answer a little clearer.
    Trendkill, Feb 27, 2008
  7. Hello mmark751969,

    > Just wondering. Can you run hsrp between 2 routers when one router is
    > on the local network and the other is the isp's router.

    No you can not.

    HSRP is used when the two routers are configured indentically. (Or some parts
    of it, depending on what you want to do.)

    I can not see what you are trying to accomplish here.
    ---
    Helge Olav Helgesen
    http://www.helge.net

    Helge Olav Helgesen, Mar 1, 2008