HSRP with DSL and T1

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by woongko@gmail.com, May 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,
    I have two sites connected through WWW(routerA below) and am trying to
    configure HSRP for redundancy at both sites by subscribing
    DSL(routerB).

    My current layout:
    WWW

    routerA(T1)

    Firewall

    LAN

    PLAN for redundancy:
    WWW --------------|
    | |
    routerA(T1) routerB(DSL)
    | |
    | |
    Firewall -------------|

    LAN

    I have a couple of questions. I'd appreciate your help.

    1. Currently routerA uses public IP. Do I need another two valid public
    IPs(one for the additional DSL router and another for virtual IP in
    HSRP)?
    2. How does the incoming traffic work? Can incoming traffic come
    through either routers IP, virtual IP, or active IP?
    3. Is there a way to utilize both T1 and DSL without having to put one
    in inactive status most of the time?

    I hope I provided enough information to clarify my question...:)..
    Thanks,
    DW

    , May 30, 2006

  2. Scooby Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have two sites connected through WWW(routerA below) and am trying to
    > configure HSRP for redundancy at both sites by subscribing
    > DSL(routerB).
    >
    > My current layout:
    > WWW
    > |
    > routerA(T1)
    > |

    > Firewall
    > |

    > LAN
    >
    > PLAN for redundancy:
    > WWW --------------|
    > | |
    > routerA(T1) routerB(DSL)
    > | |
    > | |
    > Firewall -------------|
    > |

    > LAN
    >
    > I have a couple of questions. I'd appreciate your help.
    >
    > 1. Currently routerA uses public IP. Do I need another two valid public
    > IPs(one for the additional DSL router and another for virtual IP in
    > HSRP)?
    > 2. How does the incoming traffic work? Can incoming traffic come
    > through either routers IP, virtual IP, or active IP?
    > 3. Is there a way to utilize both T1 and DSL without having to put one
    > in inactive status most of the time?
    >
    > I hope I provided enough information to clarify my question...:)..
    > Thanks,
    > DW

    HSRP is the wrong protocol for this situation. You probably need BGP, and
    you'll need to get your ISP's to play nice if these services are provided by
    different vendors. A simpler option (but probably more expensive) is to
    look at a solution like fatpipe (http://www.fatpipeinc.com/).

    Hope that helps,

    Jim

    Scooby, May 31, 2006