HSRP w/ BGP Tracking

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ascendmax, Jul 28, 2008.

  1. ascendmax

    ascendmax

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    I have two 2851 routers connected to two carriers (for redundancy) running BGP. R1 (primary router) is connected via Fa0/1/0 to the Qwest router on site. I have it configured to track Fa0/1/0 and decrement if this interface goes down:

    track 100 interface FastEthernet0/1/0 line-protocol
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/0
    ip address 21.43.20.4 255.255.255.0
    no ip redirects
    duplex full
    speed 100
    standby 1 ip 21.43.20.1
    standby 1 priority 105
    standby 1 preempt
    standby 1 track 100 decrement 10

    But this will not work if the Qwest router stays up but it's WAN connection goes down. How can I configure this router to failover in this scenario.

    ascendmax, Jul 28, 2008

  2. ascendmax

    ascendmax

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    Solution Found

    This is from Cisco TAC:

    "Regarding HSRP you need to change the track, now we will be pinging the default gateway, that way when you loose connectivity HSRP will failover to the secondary Router:

    ip sla monitor 1
    type echo protocol ipicmpecho 6.16.5.29 source 6.16.5.30
    exit

    ip sla monitor schedule 1 start-time now
    track 123 rtr 1 reachability
    exit

    Then apply the track to the HSRP ( and remove the previous one ):

    IE

    interface GigabitEthernet0/0
    no standby 1 track 100 decrement 10
    standby 1 track 123 decrement 10