    3) Doesn't matter.

    I know there is a limit of 256 IDs for the SUP1A but we're only
    talking about 50 vlans in the whole configuration.
    John Stewart, Nov 7, 2004

  2. John Stewart

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In a 6500 with dual Sup1A+MSFC running HSRP, which is considered best
    > practice for the HSRP group ID:
    >
    > 1) Use a separate ID for each VLAN
    > 2) Use the same ID for all VLANs.
    > 3) Doesn't matter.
    >
    > I know there is a limit of 256 IDs for the SUP1A but we're only
    > talking about 50 vlans in the whole configuration.

    I don't know if it's best practice or not, but I always use separate ID
    for each VLAN that is the same as VLAN_ID.

    There's some more to consider.... when you do not directly specify
    virtual mac-address, it will always look like this:

    0000.0c07.acXX

    where XX is the standby group number. So if you use standby 10, you will
    get virtual mac as: 0000.0c07.ac0a ( a = HEX (10)).

    HTH,

    --
    -Ivan.

    Ivan Ostreš, Nov 7, 2004

  3. John Stewart

    mh Guest

    Using a separate HSRP group id for each VLAN is a good practise.

    When you are inspecting the MAC-address table you will see a discrete
    virtual MAC address for each HSRP virtual IP address
    mh, Nov 8, 2004
  4. John Stewart

    John Stewart Guest

    > Using a separate HSRP group id for each VLAN is a good practise.

    We use a subnetted network 10, so 10.4.79.0 would have a VLAN ID of
    479. Looks like I can have the HSRP ID match the VLAN ID but not at
    the same time that it matches the Subnet.
    John Stewart, Nov 9, 2004
  5. John Stewart

    John Stewart Guest

    > I don't know if it's best practice or not, but I always use separate ID
    > for each VLAN that is the same as VLAN_ID.

    I use a VLAN ID which matches the subnet, in our case a subnetted
    network 10, so subnet 10.4.79.0 has a VLAN ID of 479. I hadn't read
    255 unique HSRP group IDs to mean 1-255 :-(
    John Stewart, Nov 9, 2004
  6. John Stewart

    mh Guest

    You could develop a mapping of your VLAN numbers to the HSRP group number 1 to 255
    mh, Nov 10, 2004