HSRP Design

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bobg30, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. bobg30

    bobg30 Guest

    Good evening...

    Relatively new to designing networks, hopefully you all can help.

    I've got 7 servers (dual-NIC's) that will be redundantly connected to
    2 Cisco 6509's (gigabit modules). These 2 6509's are already running
    HSRP (I assume). I'm using a /27 for the servers, and the HSRP
    addresses will come from the same space. How do I go about
    implementing HSRP on these switch/routers? Fundamentally, I
    understand HSRP, but in terms of what I put in my configs -- will HSRP
    be X.X.X.1, one 6509 X.X.X.2, the other 6509 X.X.X.3?
    In terms of my VLAN, lets say it is VLAN 30. The trunk that exists
    between the 2 6509's (failover trunk, i'm assuming) -- Do I need to
    ensure my vlan(subnet) is part of that connection.

    If anyone can send me a quick example with a sample config (not every
    statement necessary - just the hsrp statements for each device), it
    would be greatly appreciated...

    THANKS!
    bobg30, Sep 24, 2004

  2. bobg30

    Ben Guest

    Hmmm, from your questions I would say your understanding is somewhat less
    than fundamental.

    Reading any HSRP doc on CCO will give you the same information, however...

    HSRP does not require a trunk link as long as the two standby routers can
    talk to each other, which should be a moot point since they
    have to be on the same vlan.

    You configure the virtual ip address and whatever priority you choose under
    the interface.

    The command starts with "standby"

    It's one of the easiest things to configure on a Cisco, so I will leave the
    rest to you.

    Ben, Sep 25, 2004