HSRP Design Question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by bigbrorpi@gmail.com, Sep 28, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm struggling with a network design as follows:
    2 L3 switches running HSRP with 2 VLANs - 1 for users, 1 for servers
    I then have a VLAN that my FW is connected to for Net access.

    Now, I have to add on two remote sites.
    These two sites have the main network (described above, call it Site
    HQ) as their default gateway. It is critical that they be able to reach
    the server VLAN and the FW VLAN.
    Now - I want to connect Sites 1 and 2 with redundancy and as much
    automated failover as possible. RIP is running (I plan to go to EIGRP
    later).

    Looking at one remote site only:
    The most expensive and I think most redundant solution would be to buy
    four routers with two T1s and build a square type topology where the
    remote LAN would reside on an L3 switch which would be the default GW,
    with it having default routes to both of the routers depending on which
    was "primary".

    I could also have two routers with Multilink PPP running to load
    balance between HQ and Site 1. My problem there is how do I connect it
    at HQ for HSRP to be effective? I have the "WAN" stuff running off of
    another VLAN on the 3750s - but HSRP is not enabled for that VLAN -
    should it be? If the HSRP master doesn't go down, but one of the T1s
    does, I don't really want the whole network to fail to the HSRP slave,
    I was thinking of just having a backup route pointing to the HSRP slave
    and then out to the remote site.

    Any comments/suggestions/ideas?

    Thanks
    , Sep 28, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I'm struggling with a network design as follows:
    >2 L3 switches running HSRP with 2 VLANs - 1 for users, 1 for servers
    >I then have a VLAN that my FW is connected to for Net access.
    >
    >Now, I have to add on two remote sites.
    >These two sites have the main network (described above, call it Site
    >HQ) as their default gateway. It is critical that they be able to reach
    >the server VLAN and the FW VLAN.
    >Now - I want to connect Sites 1 and 2 with redundancy and as much
    >automated failover as possible. RIP is running (I plan to go to EIGRP
    >later).
    >
    >Looking at one remote site only:
    >The most expensive and I think most redundant solution would be to buy
    >four routers with two T1s and build a square type topology where the
    >remote LAN would reside on an L3 switch which would be the default GW,
    >with it having default routes to both of the routers depending on which
    >was "primary".
    >
    >I could also have two routers with Multilink PPP running to load
    >balance between HQ and Site 1. My problem there is how do I connect it
    >at HQ for HSRP to be effective? I have the "WAN" stuff running off of
    >another VLAN on the 3750s - but HSRP is not enabled for that VLAN -
    >should it be? If the HSRP master doesn't go down, but one of the T1s
    >does, I don't really want the whole network to fail to the HSRP slave,
    >I was thinking of just having a backup route pointing to the HSRP slave
    >and then out to the remote site.
    >
    >Any comments/suggestions/ideas?
    >
    >Thanks

    A few suggestions, based on the level of understanding implied by
    your questions:

    Distinguish between techniques appropriate for WAN designs and
    those only appropriate for LANs (such as HSRP).

    Remember that redundancy ONLY enhances availability if it is
    correctly designed, implemented AND managed. Otherwise, all you
    increase is cost.

    Focus on improving the pieces which are most prone to failure
    first. Fix the pieces with the biggest impact rather than the ones
    which are easiest.

    Consider hiring a competent consultant to hold your hand and guide
    you through the details unless you have lots of time and can afford
    the down time as you learn from trial and error.

    You might want to pick up a copy of my book and read chapters 1,
    2, and 6. Then think about how the concepts presented apply to your
    network requirements.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com
    Vincent C Jones, Sep 29, 2005

  3. Guest

    > You might want to pick up a copy of my book and read chapters 1,
    > 2, and 6. Then think about how the concepts presented apply to your
    > network requirements.

    I tried but it seems to be out of print?

    BTW - Are these your's too?

    MAP/TOP
    United States Army in World War Two....
    , Oct 3, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >> You might want to pick up a copy of my book and read chapters 1,
    >> 2, and 6. Then think about how the concepts presented apply to your
    >> network requirements.

    >I tried but it seems to be out of print?

    Available "new & used" from other vendors on Amazon. The remainders
    seem to be running out, as the price is up to $30.00 plus shipping.

    Vincent C Jones, Oct 3, 2005