HSRP + Complete Router Failover

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by philbo30, May 8, 2007.

  1. philbo30

    philbo30 Guest

    Silly question perhaps, but I've not found a clear explanation for a
    scenario like this:

    I have two 1811 routers, "backup" and "primary". Each router has 5
    interfaces: Fast0, Fast1, VLAN1, VLAN2, VLAN3. With the exception of
    the physical IP addresses on the 5 interfaces above, the routers are
    identically configured. When "active", the "primary" 1811 terminates
    ca. 10 VPN tunnels via an HSRP virtual IP address.

    Since I have a network off of each interface, I'd like to run HSRP on
    each interface and then, if ANY interface goes down, I want the
    "primary" router to fail-over *completely* to the "backup" router.

    What is happening now, with HSRP, is that 1 interface goes down and
    that interface fails over to the other router, but the entire router
    doesn't fail over. Since, for example, the VPN tunnels are still
    terminated on the "primary router", traffic arriving at the "backup"
    router's newly active interface cannot find its way to the tunnels
    which are still active on the "primary" router.

    In a nutshell, when a single interface on the "primary" router fails,
    I want the "primary" router to completely fail-over (i.e. *all*
    interfaces go to standby) to the "backup" (all interfaces go active)
    router until the failed interface router comes back online.

    When the "failed" interface on the "primary" router comes back online,
    the the "primary" router should re-establish itself as active.

    philbo30, May 8, 2007

  2. philbo30

    Guest

    On May 8, 2:40 pm, philbo30 <> wrote:
    > Silly question perhaps, but I've not found a clear explanation for a
    > scenario like this:
    >
    > I have two 1811 routers, "backup" and "primary". Each router has 5
    > interfaces: Fast0, Fast1, VLAN1, VLAN2, VLAN3. With the exception of
    > the physical IP addresses on the 5 interfaces above, the routers are
    > identically configured. When "active", the "primary" 1811 terminates
    > ca. 10 VPN tunnels via an HSRP virtual IP address.
    >
    > Since I have a network off of each interface, I'd like to run HSRP on
    > each interface and then, if ANY interface goes down, I want the
    > "primary" router to fail-over *completely* to the "backup" router.
    >
    > What is happening now, with HSRP, is that 1 interface goes down and
    > that interface fails over to the other router, but the entire router
    > doesn't fail over. Since, for example, the VPN tunnels are still
    > terminated on the "primary router", traffic arriving at the "backup"
    > router's newly active interface cannot find its way to the tunnels
    > which are still active on the "primary" router.
    >
    > In a nutshell, when a single interface on the "primary" router fails,
    > I want the "primary" router to completely fail-over (i.e. *all*
    > interfaces go to standby) to the "backup" (all interfaces go active)
    > router until the failed interface router comes back online.
    >
    > When the "failed" interface on the "primary" router comes back online,
    > the the "primary" router should re-establish itself as active.

    here is something to read
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products..._feature_guide09186a00801541be.html#wp1146585

    Roman Nakhmanson

    , May 8, 2007