    My and the engineer who is in the remote location where I shipped the
    routers had tested and everything works for failover. I just want to make
    sure I engineered this according to spec.. :)
    Mark Holloway, Jul 15, 2003

  2. > I wanted to set up two routers with HSRP on the ethernet segment. I setup a
    > virtual IP which is the known default gateway for servers and of course I
    > have two hard coded IP addresses for the real ethernet interfaces of the
    > routers.

    A few lines of config. would have spoken a thousand words :)
    A couple of things (you haven't given us any config, so I won't assume
    anything) :
    - Assume standby group 1
    - Remember that for rtrA, you'll want something like `standby 1
    track serial 0/0.1 110', (because rtrB's priority is 100, and you want
    rtr B to take over).
    [ I would probably also leave the high priority as 105 (and not
    200), because that way I can be lazy and use the default decrement
    value of 10 ]
    - I would have `standby 1 preempt' on both routers.
    - You haven't specified if you have configured the Virtual IP
    address on rtr B, but you can get away with that (since it will be
    communicated in the Hello messages).

    My config would look something like this :

    rtrA(config)#int fa0
    rtrA(config-int)#ip address 192.168.6.5 255.255.255.0
    rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 priority 200
    rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 ip 192.168.6.2
    rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 preempt
    rtrA(config-int)#standby 1 track serial 0/0.1 120

    rtrB(config)#int fa0
    rtrB(config-int)# ip address 192.168.6.3 255.255.255.0
    rtrB(config-int)# standby 1 preempt
    rtrB(config-int)# standby 1 ip 192.168.6.2

    One router, Router A, is setup as PRIORITY 200 and tracks

    jonathan fernandes, Jul 15, 2003