HSRP and Interface IP will not PING

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gary, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Have configured HSRP on 2 x 3600 routers

    I can ping the 'real' address of the HSRP interface but not the virtual IP.
    I cannot even ping the curtual IP from the router itself that is active.

    Should be able to ?

    interface FastEthernet0/0
    ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0
    speed 100
    full-duplex
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    ip address 10.20.20.2 255.255.255.0
    speed 100
    full-duplex
    standby 1 ip 10.20.20.1
    standby 1 preempt
    standby 1 track FastEthernet0/0

    i.e
    ping 10.20.20.2 works
    ping 10.20.20.1 FAILS ?

    The inside PIX's have route all traffic to the virtual IP and hence do not
    work as this virtual IP is not responding ?

    thx
    Gary
    Gary, Oct 18, 2003

  2. In article <lJ2kb.85594$AH4.56537@lakeread06>,
    Gary <> wrote:
    >Have configured HSRP on 2 x 3600 routers
    >
    >I can ping the 'real' address of the HSRP interface but not the virtual IP.
    >I cannot even ping the curtual IP from the router itself that is active.
    >
    >Should be able to ?

    You should be able to ping/telnet each router's IP as well as the VIP.
    Also try a "show standby" on each router to see they are seeing
    the other correctly.
    These routers should be on the same network too, HSRP is layer 2.

    >interface FastEthernet0/0
    > ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0
    > speed 100
    > full-duplex

    where's the "standby 1 ip <VIP> ?

    Alan Strassberg, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Gary

    datajedi Guest

    Gary,

    I got your e-mail...sorry I misunderstood the problem. There are some bugs
    with the 3600 routers and HSRP, one involves interface tracking.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080
    094afd.shtml#t13

    Hope this helps...
    Ken

    datajedi, Oct 19, 2003
  4. "datajedi" <> wrote in message
    > Gary,
    >
    > I got your e-mail...sorry I misunderstood the problem. There are some

    bugs
    > with the 3600 routers and HSRP, one involves interface tracking.

    There are a bunch of other bugs too. I've seen both 3600's and 7200's
    fail to respond on arp requests for the virtual ip for various reasons. Then
    you'll be unable to forward traffic as well. It does reply to ping in that
    case as long as you have the arp cached somewhere. It forward the
    traffic untill your arp cache ages out. This is something to check out
    perhaps.

    I think I may have seen the arp reply with "debug arp" but not
    actually on the line or something as funny. (Or perhaps I just
    saw it notice the arp request was for it and still not responging.)
    Checking on the other end is worth the trouble here, just to make
    absolutely sure. Make sure the other end has first arp table cleared
    to avoid looking at the arp cache of the end device.

    Pre-empt has lots of bugs when for example
    -nondefault timers are used
    -multiple groups are pre-emptied at the same time
    -interface tracking bugs
    -instability in some cases
    and so on.

    Quite a few examples why arp bugs have appeared are documented
    at the Cisco bug database.

    I've not seen the simultanious multiple group failover bug
    documented or at the bug database. I solved it by tweaking the
    timers so that it is impossible for two groups to fail over at the
    same time, not in the startup or at the interface failure, not ever.
    (A funny little timer list when I had a large number of groups
    and all the timeout values and preempt delays had to be different.)
    --
    Harri
    Harri Suomalainen, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Gary

    Geert Nijs Guest

    Your configs are a bit confusing. I hope that you just included the config
    of ONE 3600 Router !
    The second 3600 is configured alike.

    You cannot run HSRP between two interfaces on the same router !
    The config of your other 3600 router should look like the following

    > >interface FastEthernet0/0
    > > ip address 10.10.10.3 255.255.255.0<<< !!!
    > > speed 100
    > > full-duplex
    > >
    > >interface FastEthernet0/1
    > > ip address 10.20.20.3 255.255.255.0 <<< !!
    > > speed 100
    > > full-duplex
    > > standby 1 ip 10.20.20.1
    > > standby 1 preempt
    > > standby 1 track FastEthernet0/0

    Also FastEthernet0/1 of R3600-1 should be layer 2 connected to
    FastEthernet0/1 of R3600-2
    And FastEthernet 0/0 of R3600-1 should eb layer 2 connected to
    FastEthernet0/0 of R3600-2

    And then it should work........

    mvg,
    Geert