    Neil
    Cat Paintings At Carol Wilson Gallery
    http://www.carolwilsongallery.com
    Nhmiller, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Nhmiller

    Fred in NJ Guest

    Hi.
    I had a similar problem on an assignment a couple of years ago.

    We were printing on cardstock of different vintages. We speculate that the
    dots come from dust or paper particles that get into the system with the
    paper and stick to the master. The dots only appeared when certain papers
    were used.

    The number of copies varied on each toner cartridge between several hundred
    to as many as 14,000 before dots showed up.

    The dots showed up anywhere on the page, but always marching in a straight
    line along the paper path. They are spaced by the circumference of the
    drive or transfer roller.

    If you examine the master carefully you may find the dots (semi) permanently
    on the master. Try gently scraping the dot off. Since the cartridge is
    ruined anyway, you cannot go wrong trying.

    Good Luck

    -fred

    ===
    "Nhmiller" <> wrote in message
    > Hewlett Packard 4ML
    >
    > My Inksell aftermarket cartridge, after being in for about 6 months,

    recently
    > started printing a Dot/Period -- 3 or 4 appearing down the page about 4

    inches
    > from the left margin. Changed to my old genuine HPcartridge, which still

    has
    > some toner in it. It also prints a Dot/Period, 3 or 4 appearing down the

    page,
    > but very faint and much smaller, about 1 inch from the left margin.

    Inksell is

    Fred in NJ, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Nhmiller

    drwxr-xr-x Guest

    On 07 Aug 2004 20:12:17 GMT, Nhmiller hath writ:
    > Hewlett Packard 4ML
    >
    > My Inksell aftermarket cartridge, after being in for about 6 months, recently
    > started printing a Dot/Period -- 3 or 4 appearing down the page about 4 inches
    > from the left margin. Changed to my old genuine HPcartridge, which still has
    > some toner in it. It also prints a Dot/Period, 3 or 4 appearing down the page,
    > but very faint and much smaller, about 1 inch from the left margin. Inksell is
    > taking back the cartridge and replacing it under the warranty. Documents
    > printed prior to the time the dots started appearing are totally clean,
    > regardless of which cartridge used. Anyone know the cause and/or remedy?

    It's amusing -- but still annoying -- that you would ask this
    in
    rec.photo.digital
    instead of
    in
    comp.periphs.printers
    comp.sys.hp.hardware
    drwxr-xr-x, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Nhmiller

    Carl Miller Guest

    On August 07 2004, ojunk (Nhmiller) wrote:
    > Hewlett Packard 4ML
    >
    > My Inksell aftermarket cartridge, after being in for about 6 months,
    > recently started printing a Dot/Period -- 3 or 4 appearing down the
    > page about 4 inches from the left margin. Changed to my old genuine
    > HPcartridge, which still has some toner in it. It also prints a
    > Dot/Period, 3 or 4 appearing down the page, but very faint and much
    > smaller, about 1 inch from the left margin. Inksell is taking back the
    > cartridge and replacing it under the warranty. Documents printed

    prior > to the time the dots started appearing are totally clean,
    regardless > of which cartridge used. Anyone know the cause and/or
    remedy? Thanks.

    If you switch to a different toner cartridge and still have the dots,
    it's probably the fuser. Time to buy a new printer. (That's a 300dpi
    printer. I'd say time to buy a new printer in any case.)

    --
    Carl Miller

    http://www.quickinfo247.com/8557444
    Carl Miller, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Nhmiller

    Nhmiller Guest

    >The dots showed up anywhere on the page, but always marching in a straight
    >line along the paper path. They are spaced by the circumference of the
    >drive or transfer roller.

    That's exactly what's happening.

    >If you examine the master carefully you may find the dots (semi) permanently
    >on the master. Try gently scraping the dot off. Since the cartridge is
    >ruined anyway, you cannot go wrong trying.

    Can you give me additional directions? Is the master the plastic roller in the
    cartridge? How is that turned so I can find the dot?

    Thank you.

    Nhmiller, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Nhmiller

    Nhmiller Guest

    >It's amusing -- but still annoying -- that you would ask this
    >in
    > rec.photo.digital
    >instead of
    >in
    > comp.periphs.printers
    > comp.sys.hp.hardware

    Got no replies in printers. Will try hardware. Got 3 replies here in just a few
    hours. Seemed to me that this topic is of interest in this newsgroup, too. I
    have used the HP to print grayscales of digital photos.

    Nhmiller, Aug 8, 2004
  7. Nhmiller

    Nhmiller Guest

    >If you switch to a different toner cartridge and still have the dots,
    >it's probably the fuser.

    The dots using the old, original HP, cartridge are very faint, much smaller,
    and are 1 inch from the left margin, whereas the dots using the Inksell
    cartridge are the size of a period, fully black, and are 4 inches from the left
    margin. But, tell me more if you still think it's the fuser. Thanks.

    Nhmiller, Aug 8, 2004
  8. On 08 Aug 2004 06:32:27 GMT, ojunk (Nhmiller) wrote:

    >>If you switch to a different toner cartridge and still have the dots,
    >>it's probably the fuser.

    >The dots using the old, original HP, cartridge are very faint, much smaller,
    >and are 1 inch from the left margin, whereas the dots using the Inksell
    >cartridge are the size of a period, fully black, and are 4 inches from the left
    >margin. But, tell me more if you still think it's the fuser. Thanks.

    I have no idea of its technical name... but its probably the big shiny
    round drum... i had the same with a no-name (kyceroir I think) lazer
    and changing the drum solved the problem for a while... but it came
    back after a few 100 prints, so it could have been something that
    "burned" the image to the drum before it picked up the powered ink...
    in the end I gave up on the whole kit as it had only cost me 20 quid
    it was not worth trying to fix (it was a cast off from where I used to
    work)

    Actually getting rid of it was a pain in the bum... it was blody heavy
    and took up half my wheely bin!

    The dots, then "skid marks" were always in the same place... so I can
    only assume it was the lazer/led's that were at fault.

    >Neil
    >Cat Paintings At Carol Wilson Gallery
    >http://www.carolwilsongallery.com

    --