    so far, I am really very pleased with the output quality
    and ease of use. amazing quality for such a low price.
    , Aug 10, 2005

  2. Paul Furman Guest

    wrote:

    > I put up three samples of 2600n output at
    > http://vircen.com/rpd
    > in the hp2600n gallery
    >
    > they were photographed with a D2X set to fine jpg at 6mp.
    > Images were not adjusted after output. they were cropped.
    >
    > the smaller images are jpg quality fine from the d2x,
    > and the whole image is quality reduced to make it smaller.
    >
    > from office depot for $339 on sale,
    > it uses single pass pass inline color cartridges,
    > uses either usb or IP networkable,
    > and starts up and prints within seconds.
    > It is not really photo quality, not for making prints,
    > but really is close enough for photos
    > in newsletters or desktop publications.
    >
    > setup was fast and uneventful.
    > so far, I am really very pleased with the output quality
    > and ease of use. amazing quality for such a low price.

    "Output quality is more than acceptable, with an excellent rating for
    text, and ratings for graphics and photos just below the best available
    for color lasers. (All three ratings are the same for the 2400W.) Text
    quality is good enough for any purpose, with more than half of our test
    fonts easily readable at 4 points, and only one highly stylized font
    requiring 8 points. Graphics earned a rating at the high end of good,
    making them just good enough to use for potential clients you want to
    impress. The only problem worth mentioning is a tendency for white lines
    to show at the edges of objects, such as the slices in a pie chart.

    Photos earned a good rating, with some qualifying as near photo quality.
    In one case, however, we saw obvious posterization (a tendency for
    sudden changes in gradients that should change gradually). We also saw a
    slight green shift in some photos and a reddish-brown tint in a
    monochrome photo. Overall quality is good enough for things like client
    newsletters, but the 2600n won't replace your ink jet for printing
    high-quality photos."

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net