    using this set up had any comments.

    Cheers :)

    Ardz

    ardz, Sep 26, 2005

  2. ardz

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:46:06 +1200, "ardz" <> wrote:

    >Hi im currently using HP1100 Monitors(circa 1999)on 2 PCs and have noticed
    >the DVI input on the back. Upon googling info on the DVI inputs it seems it
    >accepts the DVI analogue standard. My question is...is there a marked
    >improvement using DVI (analogue) over VGA?. Ive noticed the DVI cables are
    >around $25 for a cheap Analogue one so was hoping someone with experience in
    >using this set up had any comments.
    >
    >Cheers :)
    >
    >Ardz

    They are both the same..

    Plus its NOT DVI you are getting confused..

    XP, Sep 26, 2005

  3. ardz

    Richard Guest

    XP wrote:

    > They are both the same..
    >
    > Plus its NOT DVI you are getting confused..

    Err, yes it is, look up the DVI-A connector and you will see a plug with 4 pins
    for analog video, and a big gap where the DVD-D has the pins for digital video.

    Connector is more suited then the crappy 15pin d that VGA uses for high
    frequancies, but in reality I have never seen an improvement in using it over
    the 15 pin.

    Richard, Sep 27, 2005
  4. ardz

    ardz Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > XP wrote:
    >
    > > They are both the same..
    > >
    > > Plus its NOT DVI you are getting confused..

    > Err, yes it is, look up the DVI-A connector and you will see a plug with 4

    pins
    > for analog video, and a big gap where the DVD-D has the pins for digital

    video.

    > Connector is more suited then the crappy 15pin d that VGA uses for high
    > frequancies, but in reality I have never seen an improvement in using it

    over
    > the 15 pin.

    Cheers for that Richard. Looks like im going to save on $25 :)

    ardz, Sep 27, 2005
  5. ardz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <y_ZZe.14496$>,
    says...
    > Hi im currently using HP1100 Monitors(circa 1999)on 2 PCs and have noticed
    > the DVI input on the back. Upon googling info on the DVI inputs it seems it
    > accepts the DVI analogue standard. My question is...is there a marked
    > improvement using DVI (analogue) over VGA?. Ive noticed the DVI cables are
    > around $25 for a cheap Analogue one so was hoping someone with experience in
    > using this set up had any comments.

    Using Digital is going to give the best improvement. Analog is just the
    standard VGA type signals, they provide the analog pins for
    compatibility with existing VGA interfaces. So there will be no
    improvement on the DVI analog connection.

    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
  6. ardz

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43387f31$>, says...
    > XP wrote:
    >
    > > They are both the same..
    > >
    > > Plus its NOT DVI you are getting confused..

    > Err, yes it is, look up the DVI-A connector and you will see a plug with 4 pins
    > for analog video, and a big gap where the DVD-D has the pins for digital video.
    >
    > Connector is more suited then the crappy 15pin d that VGA uses for high
    > frequancies, but in reality I have never seen an improvement in using it over
    > the 15 pin.

    All you are getting on the analog pins is, basically, the VGA signals.

    If it has the digital pins connected and you have a graphics card with
    the digital output then you would be much more likely to see an
    improvement.

    Rob J, Sep 27, 2005
  7. ardz

    ardz Guest

    "Rob J" <> wrote in message
    > In article <y_ZZe.14496$>,
    > says...
    > > Hi im currently using HP1100 Monitors(circa 1999)on 2 PCs and have

    noticed
    > > the DVI input on the back. Upon googling info on the DVI inputs it seems

    it
    > > accepts the DVI analogue standard. My question is...is there a marked
    > > improvement using DVI (analogue) over VGA?. Ive noticed the DVI cables

    are
    > > around $25 for a cheap Analogue one so was hoping someone with

    experience in
    > > using this set up had any comments.

    > Using Digital is going to give the best improvement. Analog is just the
    > standard VGA type signals, they provide the analog pins for
    > compatibility with existing VGA interfaces. So there will be no
    > improvement on the DVI analog connection.

    Cheers Rob,ill stick with the VGA. Perhaps one day ill "upgrade" to an LCD
    monitor. Still nothing wrong with 21 inch CRTs especially at 1600x1200 :)

    ardz, Sep 28, 2005
  8. ardz

    Richard Guest

    ardz wrote:

    > Cheers Rob,ill stick with the VGA. Perhaps one day ill "upgrade" to an LCD
    > monitor. Still nothing wrong with 21 inch CRTs especially at 1600x1200 :)

    I prefer it a little higher then that myself - Gotta love the people selling
    them for $SFA eh ;)

    Richard, Sep 28, 2005
  9. In article <>,
    XP <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:46:06 +1200, "ardz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi im currently using HP1100 Monitors(circa 1999)on 2 PCs and have noticed
    >>the DVI input on the back. Upon googling info on the DVI inputs it seems it
    >>accepts the DVI analogue standard. My question is...is there a marked
    >>improvement using DVI (analogue) over VGA?. Ive noticed the DVI cables are
    >>around $25 for a cheap Analogue one so was hoping someone with experience in
    >>using this set up had any comments.

    >They are both the same..
    >
    >Plus its NOT DVI you are getting confused..

    Ahhh, you can't tell your HDCP from your DHCP, can you?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 30, 2005