    w.
    vancouver bc

    --

    W Chan, Sep 20, 2005

  2. W Chan

    GTO Guest

    Neither. I got the HP/Compaq nw8000. Works fine. Otherwise, look at the Dell
    laptops. I think their decent ones are called Latitude. BTW, which digital
    camera do you use? Do you intend to use it in the field to backup and post
    process your images right at or close to the shooting location? If yes, the
    nw8000 might be a little heavy.

    Gregor

    GTO, Sep 21, 2005

  3. W Chan

    W Chan Guest

    i use nikon d-70 for foto shooting.
    yes i want to use the laptop for image storage and perhaps some basic touch
    up.. while most of the more serious editting wl be done at home... i use
    photoshop and nikon capture.

    at ths point, i tend to favour hp-dv4170... and will upgrade the RAM to 2G.

    i use dell at work (latitude series)... it's ok.. i hv a couple of hard-disk
    failures and the cd burner is quite a hit-miss... it's heavy too.. it may
    not be the latest model...

    w.

    W Chan, Sep 21, 2005
  4. W Chan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    W Chan wrote:
    > hi, shopping for a laptop for my home use/photoshooting/editting..
    > i use ms office/email/photoshop..
    >
    > compare hp dv4000 (dv4170ca) vs. sony vaio fs660w..laptops.
    >
    > which one wud u go for, why/why not?
    >
    > w.
    > vancouver bc

    I have been quite satisfied with my HP laptop. However, such aspects as
    weight, and price might have different priorities in your case. The
    Sony will likely be lighter, and more expensive, but such tradeoffs are
    why there are different models. Either should perform well.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 21, 2005
  5. W Chan

    mikey Guest

    W Chan wrote:
    > hi, shopping for a laptop for my home use/photoshooting/editting..
    > i use ms office/email/photoshop..
    >
    > compare hp dv4000 (dv4170ca) vs. sony vaio fs660w..laptops.
    >
    > which one wud u go for, why/why not?
    >
    > w.
    > vancouver bc

    Might want to take a peek at "HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power Jacks...."
    in comp.sys.hp.hardware. Been going on for almost a year now. Might also
    want to look at things like lack of restore-CD's for when the thing crashes.

    Sometimes "cheap crap" != "best deal"

    MF

    mikey, Sep 21, 2005
  6. W Chan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    mikey wrote:
    > W Chan wrote:
    >> hi, shopping for a laptop for my home use/photoshooting/editting..
    >> i use ms office/email/photoshop..
    >>
    >> compare hp dv4000 (dv4170ca) vs. sony vaio fs660w..laptops.
    >>
    >> which one wud u go for, why/why not?
    >>
    >> w.
    >> vancouver bc
    >>

    > Might want to take a peek at "HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power
    > Jacks...."
    > in comp.sys.hp.hardware. Been going on for almost a year now. Might also
    > want to look at things like lack of restore-CD's for when the thing
    > crashes.
    >
    > Sometimes "cheap crap" != "best deal"
    >

    > MF

    Not having any such problem with my HP laptop. Given that most computer
    manufacturers don't provide restart CDs these days, it is hardly fair to
    indict HP for this. I have had several HP machines (currently running
    three), and haven't had any need for a restore CD yet, nor any problems
    with the hardware either.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Sep 22, 2005
  7. W Chan

    Pete D Guest

    "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    > hi, shopping for a laptop for my home use/photoshooting/editting..
    > i use ms office/email/photoshop..
    >
    > compare hp dv4000 (dv4170ca) vs. sony vaio fs660w..laptops.
    >
    > which one wud u go for, why/why not?
    >
    > w.
    > vancouver bc

    The Sony Vaio laptop I bought my daughter was not the biggest and baddest
    and meanest but with a bit more memory it flies, oh yeah and the software
    bundled with the Sony is very good and included PhotoShop Elements and
    Premiere.

    Pete D, Sep 22, 2005
  8. W Chan

    mikey Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > mikey wrote:
    >
    >> W Chan wrote:
    >>
    >>> hi, shopping for a laptop for my home use/photoshooting/editting..
    >>> i use ms office/email/photoshop..
    >>>
    >>> compare hp dv4000 (dv4170ca) vs. sony vaio fs660w..laptops.
    >>>
    >>> which one wud u go for, why/why not?
    >>>
    >>> w.
    >>> vancouver bc
    >>>

    >> Might want to take a peek at "HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad Power
    >> Jacks...."
    >> in comp.sys.hp.hardware. Been going on for almost a year now. Might
    >> also
    >> want to look at things like lack of restore-CD's for when the thing
    >> crashes.
    >>
    >> Sometimes "cheap crap" != "best deal"
    >>

    >> MF

    > Not having any such problem with my HP laptop.

    Ah, so if you haven't PERSONALLY seen the problem, it doesn't
    exist. Brilliant.

    > Given that most computer
    > manufacturers don't provide restart CDs these days, it is hardly fair to
    > indict HP for this. I have had several HP machines (currently running
    > three), and haven't had any need for a restore CD yet, nor any problems
    > with the hardware either.

    Perhaps when you see the problem yourself, there's a possiblity you might
    understand the issue then.

    mikey, Sep 22, 2005
  9. W Chan

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:23:12 GMT, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >"W Chan" <> wrote in message
    >> hi, shopping for a laptop for my home use/photoshooting/editting..
    >> i use ms office/email/photoshop..
    >>
    >> compare hp dv4000 (dv4170ca) vs. sony vaio fs660w..laptops.
    >>
    >> which one wud u go for, why/why not?
    >>
    >> w.
    >> vancouver bc

    >The Sony Vaio laptop I bought my daughter was not the biggest and baddest
    >and meanest but with a bit more memory it flies, oh yeah and the software
    >bundled with the Sony is very good and included PhotoShop Elements and
    >Premiere.

    Premiere or Premiere Elements?

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Sep 22, 2005
  10. W Chan

    Frank ess Guest

    mikey wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> mikey wrote:

    >>> Might want to take a peek at "HP Pavilion Laptop Owners with Bad
    >>> Power Jacks...."
    >>> in comp.sys.hp.hardware. Been going on for almost a year now.
    >>> Might also
    >>> want to look at things like lack of restore-CD's for when the
    >>> thing
    >>> crashes.
    >>>
    >>> Sometimes "cheap crap" != "best deal"
    >>>

    >>> MF

    >> Not having any such problem with my HP laptop.

    > Ah, so if you haven't PERSONALLY seen the problem, it doesn't
    > exist. Brilliant.
    >

    >> Given that most computer
    >> manufacturers don't provide restart CDs these days, it is hardly
    >> fair to indict HP for this. I have had several HP machines
    >> (currently running three), and haven't had any need for a restore
    >> CD
    >> yet, nor any problems with the hardware either.

    > Perhaps when you see the problem yourself, there's a possiblity you
    > might understand the issue then.

    Perhaps if you get off your bitterly JUVENILE and hysterical high
    horse there's a possibility you might accrue some credibility,
    Brilliant.

    I've had some experience with not-notebook HPs and Sonys. When one of
    four HPs inexplicably went belly-up after six months ordinary use, no
    amount of local or distant therapy could resuscitate it. It sits over
    there in the corner, awaiting ministrations not likely to be applied.

    Each of two Sonys has hiccupped within days of new, and with a restore
    disk home-made per instructions and advice tendered as part of normal
    startup, was revived and has not faltered since, four and going-on-two
    years.

    My single notebook experience is fresh (two months' worth) and with HP
    dv41** : faultless. I likes it.

    --
    Frank S

    "Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten-up a chump."
    -William Claude Dukenfeld

    Frank ess, Sep 22, 2005
  11. W Chan

    Lmode Guest

    "W Chan" <> wrote in message

    > at ths point, i tend to favour hp-dv4170... and will upgrade the RAM to
    > 2G.

    A Pavlap is something you buy for your kid to use for messaging her friends
    or
    your mother to use for e-mailing on AOL.

    Forget those consumer notebooks, leave them for the kids.
    Go to SMB on HP.com and buy a real notebook.

    Lmode, Sep 22, 2005
  12. W Chan

    mikey Guest

    Lmode wrote:
    > "W Chan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> at ths point, i tend to favour hp-dv4170... and will upgrade the RAM to
    >> 2G.
    >>

    > A Pavlap is something you buy for your kid to use for messaging her friends
    > or your mother to use for e-mailing on AOL.

    Oh, don't do that to your mother. Mother-in-law maybe. Either that, or
    a Pinto with Firestone 500 tires.

    > Forget those consumer notebooks, leave them for the kids.
    > Go to SMB on HP.com and buy a real notebook.

    There's better places to buy real notebooks. Like Dell.

    mikey, Sep 23, 2005