HP Vista Upgrade link

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Nov 24, 2006.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    - Bobb -, Nov 24, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    news:eek:...
    > Just bought a new latop.
    > It took me a while - clicking, so I'll save you the trouble:
    >
    > http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/wwvistaupgrade.html

    Updated - "early 2007". (after public launch)

    http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/427068-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=go/windowsvistaupgrade

    " If you purchase an HP or Compaq Windows Vista Capable Notebook
    PC, Desktop PC, or HP Digital Entertainment Center between
    October 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007 you may be eligible for a free
    upgrade
    kit from your existing Windows XP® operating system to the new
    Windows Vista operating system. This upgrade kit will be available after
    Microsoft launches Windows Vista, currently scheduled for early 2007. "
    - Bobb -, Dec 5, 2006

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    FYI:
    http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/424812-0-0-225-121.html
    "This program does not offer an upgrade path to Windows Vista Ultimate.
    If you are interested in upgrading to Windows Vista Ultimate, please
    visit your retailer to purchase the full-packaged-software version."

    - Bobb -, Dec 5, 2006
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    > Just bought a new latop.
    > It took me a while - clicking, so I'll save you the trouble:

    > http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/427068-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=go/windowsvistaupgrade

    When I just went to order my HP Vista upgrade, I was redirected and
    this was on the webpage:

    "You have reached the Upgrade to Vista Web Site. Due to the recent Asia
    based earthquake you may experience delays in web site responsiveness
    while full connectivity is being restored. We apologize for any
    inconvenience this may cause. "
    - Bobb -, Jan 3, 2007
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: HP Vista Upgrade link - updated

    >> Just bought a new latop.
    >> It took me a while - clicking, so I'll save you the trouble:

    >> http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/427068-0-0-225-121.html?jumpid=go/windowsvistaupgrade
    >>

    > When I just went to order my HP Vista upgrade, I was redirected and
    > this was on the webpage:
    >
    > "You have reached the Upgrade to Vista Web Site. Due to the recent
    > Asia based earthquake you may experience delays in web site
    > responsiveness while full connectivity is being restored. We apologize
    > for any inconvenience this may cause. "

    A few clicks got me to the details. FYI:

    Windows Vista™ Order Instructions and Product Information
    Program Order Instruction Overview

    We suggest that you have the items listed below readily available to
    place your website order:

    o Please have your date of purchase available. Systems must be
    purchased between October 26, 2006 and March 15, 2007.
    o Please have your Certificate of Authenticity (COA) number (14
    digits) readily available.
    o Please have your HP or Compaq PC Model Number available.
    o Please have your PC serial number readily available
    o Please verify that your system is Windows Vista Capable. Your
    system will either have a logo on it or this will be stated on the
    packing slip that came with your PC.

    • To complete your order, you will need to provide the receipt for the
    purchase of your qualifying PC.

    • The Upgrade Software will ship within approximately 6-8 weeks from the
    later of (a) the date your have completed the redemption order
    requirements or (b) the applicable language version of the requested
    Upgrade Software has been released in your country. The receipt of
    Upgrade Software is also subject to availability and product supplies.
    ========

    Even though I had a $50 rebate from HP and the online $230 rebate from
    CompUSA, we again have to prove that we bought it. Wouldn't it be so
    nice if they just used the same database as the refund checks ? Or let
    their website run an app on our PC to download it - then just burn it to
    CD/DVD and it's done ? Nope - mail it away and wait another 6-8 weeks
    from when they receive it. Merely a few more hoops for us to jump thru.
    - Bobb -, Jan 3, 2007
  6. - Bobb -

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    Re: HP Vista Upgrade link - updated

    ->
    > Even though I had a $50 rebate from HP and the online $230 rebate from
    > CompUSA, we again have to prove that we bought it. Wouldn't it be so
    > nice if they just used the same database as the refund checks ? Or let
    > their website run an app on our PC to download it - then just burn it to
    > CD/DVD and it's done ? Nope - mail it away and wait another 6-8 weeks
    > from when they receive it. Merely a few more hoops for us to jump thru.

    Yes, and why are you jumping trough hoops to
    join the bandwagon of Vista?
    Just wait for 2 or 3 years before converting
    to an immature operating system.....
    Sjouke Burry, Jan 4, 2007
  7. - Bobb -

    "Sjouke Burry" <> wrote in message
    >->
    >> Even though I had a $50 rebate from HP and the online $230 rebate
    >> from CompUSA, we again have to prove that we bought it. Wouldn't it
    >> be so nice if they just used the same database as the refund checks ?
    >> Or let their website run an app on our PC to download it - then just
    >> burn it to CD/DVD and it's done ? Nope - mail it away and wait
    >> another 6-8 weeks from when they receive it. Merely a few more hoops
    >> for us to jump thru.
    >>

    > Yes, and why are you jumping trough hoops to
    > join the bandwagon of Vista?
    > Just wait for 2 or 3 years before converting
    > to an immature operating system.....

    I'm not gonna install it - YET. But in a year or so ( after SP1 +), I
    can then install the OS for free.
    - Bobb -, Jan 4, 2007
  8. - Bobb -

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Sjouke Burry" <> wrote in message
    >> ->
    >>> Even though I had a $50 rebate from HP and the online $230 rebate
    >>> from CompUSA, we again have to prove that we bought it. Wouldn't it
    >>> be so nice if they just used the same database as the refund checks ?
    >>> Or let their website run an app on our PC to download it - then just
    >>> burn it to CD/DVD and it's done ? Nope - mail it away and wait
    >>> another 6-8 weeks from when they receive it. Merely a few more hoops
    >>> for us to jump thru.
    >>>

    >> Yes, and why are you jumping trough hoops to
    >> join the bandwagon of Vista?
    >> Just wait for 2 or 3 years before converting
    >> to an immature operating system.....

    > I'm not gonna install it - YET. But in a year or so ( after SP1 +), I
    > can then install the OS for free.

    oh.. alright... as long as you do the "or so"....:)
    Sjouke Burry, Jan 4, 2007
  9. Funny, I got the EXACT same thing at the Toshiba web site. The site was
    working, but the response time was very slow (tens of minutes).

    Barry Watzman, Jan 7, 2007
  10. - Bobb -

    Val Guest

    I'm finding the site very responsive right now.

    According to PC Magazine, we might have that earthquake to thank for a
    slight reduction in the amount of sp*m in the Christmas week!

    Val

    Val, Jan 7, 2007
  11. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    > Funny, I got the EXACT same thing at the Toshiba web site. The site
    > was working, but the response time was very slow (tens of minutes).

    When I clicked the link at HP.com I got a : "you are leaving our site"
    security pop-up, so probably same host.
    In the details of the upgrade page I read- must supply original receipt
    or a " certified copy" of the register receipt. I had to send the
    original to HP for my $50 rebate - what the heck is a " certified copy"?
    There was no explanation on the page. So I go back to CompUSA with my
    copy of the original and they produce a " certified copy" ??? Or I raise
    my right hand in front of a sherrif and he certifies my copy ;-> ?

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Jan 7, 2007
  12. - Bobb -

    Val Guest

    Certified copy should be something a notary public will do for you-check
    with your bank, they usually have several notaries and will do it for free.

    Actually, you don't even have to send an original or certified copy. When
    you get the email response, it includes options to send a faxed copy, or
    email a scanned copy. (Left hand and right hand not coordinating???)

    Val

    Val, Jan 7, 2007
  13. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: HP Vista Upgrade shipped

    > "Barry Watzman" <> wrote in message
    >> Funny, I got the EXACT same thing at the Toshiba web site. The site
    >> was working, but the response time was very slow (tens of minutes).
    >>

    > When I clicked the link at HP.com I got a : "you are leaving our site"
    > security pop-up, so probably same host.

    < snipped>
    I submitted mine in January and I just got my HP Vista upgrade in the
    mail. Contents is a " Readme First" sheet and 2 DVD's : 1 is a how-to
    from HP and the other is the upgrade. Shipped from NC. I'll hand onto
    mine until SP1 is released ( unless I HAVE to install it before a
    certain date - I'll research that. Just noted the shipping label on the
    envelope shows "Parcel weight: 13 lbs ". If they all show that , MSFT
    is gonna take a big hit in postage
    - Bobb -, Mar 24, 2007
  14. Re: HP Vista Upgrade shipped

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:44:32 -0400, - Bobb - wrote:

    > I submitted mine in January and I just got my HP Vista upgrade in the
    > mail. Contents is a " Readme First" sheet and 2 DVD's : 1 is a how-to
    > from HP and the other is the upgrade. Shipped from NC. I'll hand onto
    > mine until SP1 is released ( unless I HAVE to install it before a
    > certain date - I'll research that. Just noted the shipping label on the
    > envelope shows "Parcel weight: 13 lbs ". If they all show that , MSFT
    > is gonna take a big hit in postage

    Shouldn't need to. Vista isn't really anything but Windows XP with some
    new window dressing and new "security" features that make it harder to run
    many established applications. Frankly, I wish Microsoft would either
    retain 100% backward compatibility, or break it hard at every release.
    There isn't any real reason to try to do something in between, because
    it's a royal PITA when dealing with users.

    Also, many XP drivers won't work in Vista without performance degradation,
    if at all, which is unfortunate. Other operating systems are able to use
    the same device drivers release after release, without breaking them or
    the systems and devices that they run; you would think that Microsoft
    could do the same with the size of their budget... :)

    -- Mike
    Michael B. Trausch, Mar 25, 2007
  15. - Bobb -

    John Doue Guest

    Re: HP Vista Upgrade shipped

    Michael B. Trausch wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:44:32 -0400, - Bobb - wrote:
    >
    >> I submitted mine in January and I just got my HP Vista upgrade in the
    >> mail. Contents is a " Readme First" sheet and 2 DVD's : 1 is a how-to
    >> from HP and the other is the upgrade. Shipped from NC. I'll hand onto
    >> mine until SP1 is released ( unless I HAVE to install it before a
    >> certain date - I'll research that. Just noted the shipping label on the
    >> envelope shows "Parcel weight: 13 lbs ". If they all show that , MSFT
    >> is gonna take a big hit in postage

    > Shouldn't need to. Vista isn't really anything but Windows XP with some
    > new window dressing and new "security" features that make it harder to run
    > many established applications. Frankly, I wish Microsoft would either
    > retain 100% backward compatibility, or break it hard at every release.
    > There isn't any real reason to try to do something in between, because
    > it's a royal PITA when dealing with users.
    >
    > Also, many XP drivers won't work in Vista without performance degradation,
    > if at all, which is unfortunate. Other operating systems are able to use
    > the same device drivers release after release, without breaking them or
    > the systems and devices that they run; you would think that Microsoft
    > could do the same with the size of their budget... :)
    >
    > -- Mike

    Keep your Vista upgrade disk for the day you will, if ever, sell your
    machine. Until then, don't look for trouble needlessly and stay with XP.
    I doubt you won't ever need to install it to run any software: except
    for MS, who would be fool enough to alienate XP users?

    --
    John Doue
    John Doue, Mar 25, 2007