    win2k and even knoppix. One other item that may be relevant is; that if you
    use the power button to switch it off, you then need to unplug the power
    lead for 10-15 seconds before you can start the machine back up.

    Andy Lawson, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Andy Lawson

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Andy Lawson" <> wrote in message
    news:G%5Ra.5157$...
    > Hi
    >
    > Was wondering if anyone knows if there's a known problem with HP Vectra

    VLi8
    > computers in regards to failing to shutdown properly.
    >
    > I've been trying to resolve an issue with one belonging to a family

    friend.
    > It was working fine about 9 months ago when I last fixed it up for them,

    but
    > has lately taken to rebooting on shutdown. I've done all the usual win98
    > solutions and still no joy.
    >
    > I'm thinking its a hardware fault since the problem is still evident using
    > win2k and even knoppix. One other item that may be relevant is; that if

    you
    > use the power button to switch it off, you then need to unplug the power
    > lead for 10-15 seconds before you can start the machine back up.

    A lousy update from MS might fix it. I think I saw something amongst them
    for Win98 for shutdowns etc.
    Just be careful if it shows a modem driver update as well. LOL

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Andy Lawson

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:10:48 +1200, "Andy Lawson"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Was wondering if anyone knows if there's a known problem with HP Vectra VLi8
    >computers in regards to failing to shutdown properly.
    >
    >I've been trying to resolve an issue with one belonging to a family friend.
    >It was working fine about 9 months ago when I last fixed it up for them, but
    >has lately taken to rebooting on shutdown. I've done all the usual win98
    >solutions and still no joy.

    I had trouble with my Win98 not shutting down and I used Wizmo until I
    was forced to do a complete format of my hard drive.

    http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

    Kookaburra, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Andy Lawson

    Andy Lawson Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > Take a look in the BIOS. There may be an option that controls the

    state of
    > the machine after "Power failure".
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Nicholas Sherlock

    Nope, the machine is too primitive for such a bios feature. It was
    running perfectly until recently without any of the extra patches to
    deal with the Win98 shutdown issues.

    Andy Lawson, Jul 17, 2003
  5. Andy Lawson

    Andy Lawson Guest

    "E. Scrooge" < (remove eye)> wrote in message

    snip

    > A lousy update from MS might fix it. I think I saw something

    amongst them
    > for Win98 for shutdowns etc.
    > Just be careful if it shows a modem driver update as well. LOL
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Tried all the possible solutions for the Win98 shutdown issues to no
    avail. The problem remained under Win 2K and Knoppix, so I think its
    likely not to be OS related.
    I tried some new RAM as well, but I have a feeling the problem is
    related to the power supply, since if you turn the machine off via the
    power switch you then need to completely remove the power for a good
    20 seconds before reconnecting and being able to restart the computer.

    Andy Lawson, Jul 17, 2003
  6. Andy Lawson

    Andy Lawson Guest

    "Kookaburra" <galah@*ubdimen*ion.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 18:10:48 +1200, "Andy Lawson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi
    > >
    > >Was wondering if anyone knows if there's a known problem with HP

    Vectra VLi8
    > >computers in regards to failing to shutdown properly.
    > >
    > >I've been trying to resolve an issue with one belonging to a family

    friend.
    > >It was working fine about 9 months ago when I last fixed it up for

    them, but
    > >has lately taken to rebooting on shutdown. I've done all the usual

    win98
    > >solutions and still no joy.
    > >

    > I had trouble with my Win98 not shutting down and I used Wizmo until

    > was forced to do a complete format of my hard drive.
    >
    > http://grc.com/wizmo/wizmo.htm

    Thanks for the link, but unfortunately it did not solve the problem.
    If I used "wizmo exit" it shutdown windows and sat there with a
    flashing cursor waiting for me to power off. When I did so using the
    power switch it then refused to restart untill the power lead had been
    disconnected for about 20 seconds or so.
    Looks like I may need to pull the power supply apart.

    Andy Lawson, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Andy Lawson

    The Flash Guest

    First remove and refit the power connectors onto the motherboard. Test.

    Then Try,

    Clear the CMOS, and replace the cmos battery.

    If you have the time and paitiance to wade round HP's website you will find
    a technote about this.

    If the above fails.

    Check the voltage on the standby line from the PSU it should be 5V. The
    control line on the PSU gets dropped low (AFAIK) to tell the PSU to shut
    down.

    See if this is happening, if it isn't you have a faulty motherboard.

    The Flash, Jul 17, 2003