HP support falling to pieces?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bryce Utting, May 17, 2006.

  1. Bryce Utting

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Out of a fleet of 30-odd HP and Compaq desktops and laptops I've had
    to make three service calls this year.

    I'm -- how can I put this? -- a little concerned at how each has
    progressed. If these stories sound familiar to others, that would be
    of interest to our future purchase plans.

    For the first call, the tech couldn't arrive next-day as promised
    because he couldn't read his own company's work order and hence
    arrived at an address near Albany, and, strangely, couldn't find a
    Franklin-based business there. So he packed it in for the day. The
    day after, he arrived (in the right part of the country) with a full
    bag of tricks *except* for the faulty part, since the HP call centre
    had neglected to pass on the diagnosis. He wasn't at all keen to make
    a repeat trip that day, so we didn't see him til the next morning:
    that sorted it, luckily.

    For the second, a laptop arrived on a Friday and contrived to fail
    that weekend, ahead of shipping it to the SI user. Hmmmm. Log a
    call, arrange for it to be picked up, etc. Same time next day: it's
    still sitting in reception: turns out that "pick up and return"
    involves a freight company, not a courier. (Yes, this is about the
    point I started reaming them.) Three working days (and two holidays)
    later, I get a call back: "We haven't reproduced the problem." Fun.
    The repair company at least pays attention to my diagnosis, replaces
    the second-most-likely part (screens are cheaper than motherboards,
    after all), and it arrives... well. It first arrived here on the 7th
    of April: it took until the 24th to get it back. To get it back
    -dead-, that is.

    HP support and complaints waffle all sorts of crap, and offer up
    excuses for how long it'll take to replace it with an entirely new
    system: I kick to touch and get our vendors to arrange that instead,
    and drive up to Manukau to pick it up. This leaves us satisfied (if
    not exactly happy), and HP sulking. Too bad, I say.

    The third involves another laptop, and was called in on the 4th of
    this month. I wasn't optimistic: it was picked up on the 5th,
    however, and now...

    .... well, we're still waiting. After making some calls it turns out
    it was received by the service centre on the 10th (!!!), a new
    motherboard was ordered on the 11th, and then on the 12th HP assigned
    a new case number... and, if I have things right, cancelled the
    existing parts order and placed a new one. The service centre is
    still waiting.

    Now, it's tempting to want to ditch the entire fleet, and replace
    across the board with... oh, Dells, or Toshibas, or... hmmm. Well,
    there's not much variety there, and absolutely no guarantee of
    escaping Rule 1 (All Hardware Sucks). And management would bloody
    lynch me for even suggesting that sort of capital expenditure. The
    compromise of buying this-month's-guaranteed-reliable-hardware leads
    to basically these choices:

    1. Staying with HP and hoping that yelling at them enough will
    encourage them to fix their act. Faults will involve pain from
    the HP-contracted support centre.

    2. Picking a hopefully-reliable (there is NO such thing once you're
    talking about more than 3 PCs, I tell you straight) brand, and
    sticking with that from here on. Faults will involve pain from
    either the HP centre (for existing kit) or the our-new-favourites
    centre (for new kit).

    3. Buying whatever looks good on the day from here on. We'll have a
    hodgepodge of kit, and faults in (say) year 3 of any warranty
    will have me trying to work out how to navigate the call centre
    from some outfit I ordinarily never deal with. In Swahili.

    4. Spirographs.

    5. D,NA.

    So: are (a) we the only poor buggers to be getting shafted by HP like
    this, or (b) have they gone completely to pot and are doing this to
    everyone, or (c) is this the new industry standard?

    This week's purchasing needs: desktop, printer, laptop. Hard to know
    what to do, really.


    butting

    --
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.
    -- first4internet's Ceri Coburn on writing Sony's DRM rootkit
     
    Bryce Utting, May 17, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bryce Utting

    XPD Guest

    "Bryce Utting" <> wrote in message
    news:e4ebop$ufh$...
    > Out of a fleet of 30-odd HP and Compaq desktops and laptops I've had
    > to make three service calls this year.


    Im not impressed with HP...... purchased a new HP3015 All-in-one unit for
    the wifes office and had issues getting it going... so I read the
    manual...no help. So, called HP... after 10mins on hold I emailed their
    support team. Instant reply of "you'll be answered in 1-2 business days". So
    sat on hold.... browsed around their support site and found a "live" chat
    support option. Logged into that..... and waited....and waited.... 25mins
    after sitting on hold on the phone AND "live" support, I gave up.
    4 days later I got an email from their supply team.. "sorry about
    delay...." - I replied that I had since given up on the HP unit and had
    returned it and purchased a different brand unit and got it running, when I
    did hit a problem, the manufacturer was more than happy to answer their
    phone and help. I then got a survey email from HP... I filled it out in the
    negative sections and sent it back.
    A week later someone from HP called to talk to me but I was out so they told
    my wife they'd call back..... 3 months later I'm still waiting that call :p

    So yeah.... what their pay support/contracts are like, god knows... maybe
    you actually get to talk to the receptionist or the cleaner.
     
    XPD, May 17, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bryce Utting

    thingy Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Bryce Utting" <> wrote in message
    > news:e4ebop$ufh$...
    >
    >>Out of a fleet of 30-odd HP and Compaq desktops and laptops I've had
    >>to make three service calls this year.

    >
    >
    > Im not impressed with HP...... purchased a new HP3015 All-in-one unit for
    > the wifes office and had issues getting it going... so I read the
    > manual...no help. So, called HP... after 10mins on hold I emailed their
    > support team. Instant reply of "you'll be answered in 1-2 business days". So
    > sat on hold.... browsed around their support site and found a "live" chat
    > support option. Logged into that..... and waited....and waited.... 25mins
    > after sitting on hold on the phone AND "live" support, I gave up.
    > 4 days later I got an email from their supply team.. "sorry about
    > delay...." - I replied that I had since given up on the HP unit and had
    > returned it and purchased a different brand unit and got it running, when I
    > did hit a problem, the manufacturer was more than happy to answer their
    > phone and help. I then got a survey email from HP... I filled it out in the
    > negative sections and sent it back.
    > A week later someone from HP called to talk to me but I was out so they told
    > my wife they'd call back..... 3 months later I'm still waiting that call :p
    >
    > So yeah.... what their pay support/contracts are like, god knows... maybe
    > you actually get to talk to the receptionist or the cleaner.
    >
    >


    I would think sucky service is probably not dependant on the vendor. We
    use Dell and the native language of the hell desk is not english and
    compounded with crappy VoIP and low volume talking to them is god
    awful.....Sun used to be the best but now I think they use the same call
    centre as Dell.......HP, well 4 hour service is easily 4 days if you are
    lucky......and no one in HP will own a call, every time the call is
    passed to a new group it is another four hours.....it could get passed
    back and forth a few times.....not unusual..........IBM, just as bad.....

    At least with Dell a build to order means the complete box arrives ready
    assembled all in one piece....unlike the rest who ship you bits and
    pieces and expect you to assemble it (if it all turns up)....or try and
    charge 4% extra.....and expect you to provide a build room, or the techy
    assembles your new server in a public corridor......

    Dell do have good inventory movement and hardware roadmap so you wont
    get stuck with some box that has a crappy spec because it has been
    sitting on a shelf for a year....I have been caught out like that by
    both HP and IBM...

    I am just doing a RFP now and somehow I have to decide which *&^*@*@(!!
    I get for the next 5 years.....it might as well be the cheapest because
    they all suck....hmmm well maybe Dell sucks less than most....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, May 17, 2006
    #3
  4. Bryce Utting

    Bryce Utting Guest

    thingy <> wrote:
    > I would think sucky service is probably not dependant on the vendor. We
    > use Dell and the native language of the hell desk is not english and
    > compounded with crappy VoIP and low volume talking to them is god
    > awful.....Sun used to be the best but now I think they use the same call
    > centre as Dell.......HP, well 4 hour service is easily 4 days if you are
    > lucky......and no one in HP will own a call, every time the call is
    > passed to a new group it is another four hours.....it could get passed
    > back and forth a few times.....not unusual..........IBM, just as bad.....


    Ohhh, don't start me on about IBM...

    > Dell do have good inventory movement and hardware roadmap so you wont
    > get stuck with some box that has a crappy spec because it has been
    > sitting on a shelf for a year....I have been caught out like that by
    > both HP and IBM...


    Whoops, too late.

    As part of the http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting/writing/ibm.html
    saga, IBM shipped us a replacement SCSI HD at one point. A
    *refurbished* SCSI HD. A refurbished SCSI HD with a date stamped on
    it, and the date was NOT recent.

    (that server -- a small one, at that -- was the only kit we've ever
    dealt with from IBM, and it's the only kit of theirs we're EVER going
    to deal with.)

    > I am just doing a RFP now and somehow I have to decide which *&^*@*@(!!
    > I get for the next 5 years.....it might as well be the cheapest because
    > they all suck....hmmm well maybe Dell sucks less than most....


    So you're faced with pretty much the same problem I am just now?
    (well, minus the where-the-hell's-my-laptop-that-should-have-been-
    fixed-a-week-ago business.) Ouch, that sucks.

    Getting usefully comparable quotes for just a single *laptop* has
    stretched out past a week for me: I don't see any benefit at all in
    wasting my time sorting out who might be offering me the best deal
    between, say, HP, Dell, IBM or Dick fscking Smith when it takes nearly
    as much effort to juggle quotes as it does to manage a simple (hah)
    repair job.

    But it's going to take some DAMN special support promises to make us
    want to buy. Unfortunately we're not a volume customer, so no-one's
    got much real motivation to give much of a damn for us.

    This is... unpleasant.


    butting

    --
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.
    -- first4internet's Ceri Coburn on writing Sony's DRM rootkit
     
    Bryce Utting, May 17, 2006
    #4
  5. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Bryce Utting exclaimed:
    > Out of a fleet of 30-odd HP and Compaq desktops and laptops I've had
    > to make three service calls this year.
    >
    > I'm -- how can I put this? -- a little concerned at how each has
    > progressed. If these stories sound familiar to others, that would be
    > of interest to our future purchase plans.



    Well, we pay for next business day support from Dell and it's basically
    worked, they have replaced whole motherboards in laptops without much
    qualm (3 times to fix a broken headphone socket! :)

    But I expect it depends mostly on the local contractor.
    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
     
    Aaron Lawrence, May 17, 2006
    #5
  6. Bryce Utting

    thingy Guest

    Bryce Utting wrote:
    > thingy <> wrote:
    >
    >>I would think sucky service is probably not dependant on the vendor. We
    >>use Dell and the native language of the hell desk is not english and
    >>compounded with crappy VoIP and low volume talking to them is god
    >>awful.....Sun used to be the best but now I think they use the same call
    >>centre as Dell.......HP, well 4 hour service is easily 4 days if you are
    >>lucky......and no one in HP will own a call, every time the call is
    >>passed to a new group it is another four hours.....it could get passed
    >>back and forth a few times.....not unusual..........IBM, just as bad.....

    >
    >
    > Ohhh, don't start me on about IBM...
    >
    >
    >>Dell do have good inventory movement and hardware roadmap so you wont
    >>get stuck with some box that has a crappy spec because it has been
    >>sitting on a shelf for a year....I have been caught out like that by
    >>both HP and IBM...

    >
    >
    > Whoops, too late.
    >
    > As part of the http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~butting/writing/ibm.html
    > saga, IBM shipped us a replacement SCSI HD at one point. A
    > *refurbished* SCSI HD. A refurbished SCSI HD with a date stamped on
    > it, and the date was NOT recent.
    >
    > (that server -- a small one, at that -- was the only kit we've ever
    > dealt with from IBM, and it's the only kit of theirs we're EVER going
    > to deal with.)
    >
    >
    >>I am just doing a RFP now and somehow I have to decide which *&^*@*@(!!
    >>I get for the next 5 years.....it might as well be the cheapest because
    >>they all suck....hmmm well maybe Dell sucks less than most....

    >
    >
    > So you're faced with pretty much the same problem I am just now?
    > (well, minus the where-the-hell's-my-laptop-that-should-have-been-
    > fixed-a-week-ago business.) Ouch, that sucks.
    >
    > Getting usefully comparable quotes for just a single *laptop* has
    > stretched out past a week for me: I don't see any benefit at all in
    > wasting my time sorting out who might be offering me the best deal
    > between, say, HP, Dell, IBM or Dick fscking Smith when it takes nearly
    > as much effort to juggle quotes as it does to manage a simple (hah)
    > repair job.
    >
    > But it's going to take some DAMN special support promises to make us
    > want to buy. Unfortunately we're not a volume customer, so no-one's
    > got much real motivation to give much of a damn for us.
    >
    > This is... unpleasant.
    >
    >
    > butting
    >


    We are a volume customer.....2000+ odd desktops, 150+ servers.......

    I think the salesmen would kneel and offer to blow me if they thought
    they'd get the contract.........

    For a few boxes I'd go DSE or Dell myself, Acer are not bad at least if
    it dies you can go in and harass the DSE store manager, I would not buy
    an Acer server though. The rest I would not touch unless you can weald
    some effective threats (ie take your multi-million dollar contract and
    shove it) becuase otherwise only a court action will make them take notice.

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, May 17, 2006
    #6
  7. Bryce Utting

    Mutlley Guest

    Aaron Lawrence <> wrote:

    >On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    >Bryce Utting exclaimed:
    >> Out of a fleet of 30-odd HP and Compaq desktops and laptops I've had
    >> to make three service calls this year.
    >>
    >> I'm -- how can I put this? -- a little concerned at how each has
    >> progressed. If these stories sound familiar to others, that would be
    >> of interest to our future purchase plans.

    >
    >
    >Well, we pay for next business day support from Dell and it's basically
    >worked, they have replaced whole motherboards in laptops without much
    >qualm (3 times to fix a broken headphone socket! :)
    >
    >But I expect it depends mostly on the local contractor.


    You mean that you actually get to talk to some one at Dell? WE tried
    but no one ever returned out web queries , emails or phone calls. In
    Oz it's a different story. They like to sell to business who don't
    want to pay by CC over the internet.. Here ion NZ. Go to hell.
     
    Mutlley, May 17, 2006
    #7
  8. T'was the Thu, 18 May 2006 08:23:39 +1200 when I remembered Mutlley
    <> saying something like this:

    >You mean that you actually get to talk to some one at Dell?


    I'm no volume customer, but when I recently purchased a laptop from
    Dell (like a week ago), they have me an 0800 number an extension
    through to the guy who was doing my order. Any problems, ring the
    number and the extension and talk to the same guy. I liked that.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, May 18, 2006
    #8
  9. Bryce Utting

    Bryce Utting Guest

    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:
    >>You mean that you actually get to talk to some one at Dell?

    >
    > I'm no volume customer, but when I recently purchased a laptop from
    > Dell (like a week ago), they have me an 0800 number an extension
    > through to the guy who was doing my order. Any problems, ring the
    > number and the extension and talk to the same guy. I liked that.


    HP in fact do this as well -- they've got a Wellington-based 0800
    group that tracks repair status (and is possibly responsible for
    managing the process), and will put you in touch with the repair
    company itself once the unit's in their hands (or once a tech is
    scheduled to pay a visit).

    Of course, if the system WORKED...


    butting

    --
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.
    -- first4internet's Ceri Coburn on writing Sony's DRM rootkit
     
    Bryce Utting, May 18, 2006
    #9
  10. Bryce Utting

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Bryce Utting <> wrote in news:e4evqj$5ba$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    > etting usefully comparable quotes for just a single *laptop* has
    > stretched out past a week for me: I don't see any benefit at all in
    > wasting my time sorting out who might be offering me the best deal
    > between, say, HP, Dell, IBM or Dick fscking Smith when it takes nearly
    > as much effort to juggle quotes as it does to manage a simple (hah)
    > repair job.
    >


    Toshiba, world wide warrantee. Loaner available, at least it was with the
    wife's.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, May 18, 2006
    #10
  11. Bryce Utting

    Mutlley Guest

    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >T'was the Thu, 18 May 2006 08:23:39 +1200 when I remembered Mutlley
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>You mean that you actually get to talk to some one at Dell?

    >
    >I'm no volume customer, but when I recently purchased a laptop from
    >Dell (like a week ago), they have me an 0800 number an extension
    >through to the guy who was doing my order. Any problems, ring the
    >number and the extension and talk to the same guy. I liked that.


    But did you have to pay by CC..??
     
    Mutlley, May 18, 2006
    #11
  12. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Mutlley exclaimed:
    > Aaron Lawrence <> wrote:
    >
    > >On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    > >Bryce Utting exclaimed:
    > >> Out of a fleet of 30-odd HP and Compaq desktops and laptops I've had
    > >> to make three service calls this year.
    > >>
    > >> I'm -- how can I put this? -- a little concerned at how each has
    > >> progressed. If these stories sound familiar to others, that would be
    > >> of interest to our future purchase plans.

    > >
    > >
    > >Well, we pay for next business day support from Dell and it's basically
    > >worked, they have replaced whole motherboards in laptops without much
    > >qualm (3 times to fix a broken headphone socket! :)
    > >
    > >But I expect it depends mostly on the local contractor.

    >
    > You mean that you actually get to talk to some one at Dell?

    Sure.
    > WE tried
    > but no one ever returned out web queries , emails or phone calls.


    Did you pay for next business day business support?

    > In
    > Oz it's a different story. They like to sell to business who don't
    > want to pay by CC over the internet.. Here ion NZ. Go to hell.


    I just haven't had that experience.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
     
    Aaron Lawrence, May 19, 2006
    #12
  13. T'was the Fri, 19 May 2006 08:36:17 +1200 when I remembered Mutlley
    <> saying something like this:

    >>I'm no volume customer, but when I recently purchased a laptop from
    >>Dell (like a week ago), they have me an 0800 number an extension
    >>through to the guy who was doing my order. Any problems, ring the
    >>number and the extension and talk to the same guy. I liked that.

    >
    >But did you have to pay by CC..??


    Yeah I did. Ordered the machine online, got it in the mail a week
    later. Sweet sweet Intel Core Duo T2300, I really like this Inspiron
    6400.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, May 20, 2006
    #13
  14. Bryce Utting

    Mutlley Guest

    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    >T'was the Fri, 19 May 2006 08:36:17 +1200 when I remembered Mutlley
    ><> saying something like this:
    >
    >>>I'm no volume customer, but when I recently purchased a laptop from
    >>>Dell (like a week ago), they have me an 0800 number an extension
    >>>through to the guy who was doing my order. Any problems, ring the
    >>>number and the extension and talk to the same guy. I liked that.

    >>
    >>But did you have to pay by CC..??

    >
    >Yeah I did. Ordered the machine online, got it in the mail a week
    >later. Sweet sweet Intel Core Duo T2300, I really like this Inspiron
    >6400.


    And there in lies the problem. We can't pay for things like this with
    a CC and I think you will find allot of companies are that way.
    Capital assets can't be bought this way..
     
    Mutlley, May 21, 2006
    #14
  15. Bryce Utting

    Bryce Utting Guest

    I wrote:
    > [case #2] first arrived here on the 7th
    > of April: it took until the 24th to get it back. To get it back
    > -dead-, that is.
    >
    > HP support and complaints waffle all sorts of crap, and offer up
    > excuses for how long it'll take to replace it with an entirely new
    > system: I kick to touch and get our vendors to arrange that instead,
    > and drive up to Manukau to pick it up. This leaves us satisfied (if
    > not exactly happy), and HP sulking. Too bad, I say.


    I left a detail out: because I picked the replacement up from the
    distributor's warehouse, guess where the OEM Office pack was
    delivered? No, they didn't tell me. Or our reseller. We finally
    found out late Monday I think, and yesterday our reseller quite
    rightly decided Bugger This, pulled another pack from stock, read the
    key to me down the phone, and shoved it in a courier bag.

    Not HP's fault, that one, but it hardly helps things.

    > The third involves another laptop, and was called in on the 4th of
    > this month. I wasn't optimistic: it was picked up on the 5th,
    > however, and now...
    >
    > ... well, we're still waiting. After making some calls it turns out
    > it was received by the service centre on the 10th (!!!), a new
    > motherboard was ordered on the 11th, and then on the 12th HP assigned
    > a new case number... and, if I have things right, cancelled the
    > existing parts order and placed a new one. The service centre is
    > still waiting.


    *cough*

    And this showed up... yesterday. So: called in on the 4th, picked up
    on the 5th, and returned on the 23rd.

    Someone's going to explain this, and they're going to be *convincing*.

    > 5. D,NA.


    The latest delivery fiasco is making this look ever more tempting.
    Ordered a system last Wednesday, NZ Couriers picked it up on Thursday,
    and... well, they're not quite sure where it is right now.

    Mngt is looking skeptically at our vendor, but apart from them doing
    what I'm starting to think would be -exactly- the right thing (which
    is to be on the phone every hour on the hour once an order or service
    call is logged, reaming whoever's involved out just on general
    principles) I'm finding it hard to point the finger at them. HP, most
    definitely, the repair company, ohhhh yes, the distributors, mmm-hmmm,
    and a *special* new definition of pain for *both* of the courier
    companies involved.

    If there's a sector in IT that's somehow escaped the pain of this new
    standard of pervasive bogosity, where are they, and are they hiring?
    I've bloody had enough.


    butting

    --
    I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable
    then it's because I am.
    -- first4internet's Ceri Coburn on writing Sony's DRM rootkit
     
    Bryce Utting, May 24, 2006
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Falling Behind

    Silverstrand, Dec 10, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    724
    Silverstrand
    Dec 10, 2005
  2. Joe Elichaa

    7940 & 7960 Handset falling of phone

    Joe Elichaa, Feb 10, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    416
    John McKinney
    Feb 11, 2005
  3. Jim

    PC slowly falling apart... Norton?

    Jim, Nov 10, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    428
  4. Brian A
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    860
    Brian
    Jul 14, 2006
  5. shadow

    I am FALLING and I CAN'T GET UP

    shadow, Jan 23, 2005, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    407
    shadow
    Jan 23, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page