    Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.

    Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
    should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

    SchoolTech, Jan 26, 2006

  2. Have you tried Dell or Toshiba?

    Reuben Schwarz, Jan 26, 2006

  3. SchoolTech

    EMB Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
    >
    > How do you get them interested?
    >
    > Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no reply.
    >
    > Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
    >
    > Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
    > should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

    IBM

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Jan 26, 2006
  4. SchoolTech

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:21:51 +1300, SchoolTech
    <> wrote:

    >Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
    >
    >How do you get them interested?
    >
    >Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no reply.
    >
    >Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
    >
    >Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
    >should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

    It's a pain when they don't even want to take your money.

    If you do manage to find someone who'll sell you HP, the model to get is the
    successor to the former Compaq DeskPro (HP bought Compaq as you're probably
    aware).

    The latest model we bought at work was an HP dc5100c (that could possibly be
    dc5300c now, I don't remember for certain).

    Anyway these things are bulletproof, way better than some models that HP
    make. We have a client who buys them literally by the container load and
    their IT guys love them, they just go forever even in very nasty industrial
    environments. We have over 20 of them of various ages at work. They are more
    expensive than some brands but we found out the hard way that it was well
    worth the money.

    Don't let the sales droids put you off. These are nice machines.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Jan 26, 2006
  5. Schools are too small and insignificant to even register on HP's radar,
    unless it spins off some positive PR to bolster it's bottom line. I
    could be wrong but unless you can present a good case to management it
    is the same old saying "what can you do for me today".

    Aldrin Fabricius, Jan 26, 2006
  6. SchoolTech

    Evans Guest

    HP has 1 specific model - dx2000 for education institution, it has either a
    Celeron 2.53GHz or P4 2.8GHz model. Problem is it has only XP Home so I
    don't think they are designed for network use.

    They do have a dx5150 series - Athlon64 CPU with XP Pro and some even with
    1GB RAM, more expensive though.

    Have you tried Telecom - they are reselling dx5150, sometimes even with a
    lower than cost price...

    Good luck, email me if you need more info.

    Evans, Jan 26, 2006
  7. SchoolTech

    steve Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:

    > Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
    >
    > How do you get them interested?
    >
    > Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no
    > reply.
    >
    > Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
    >
    > Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
    > should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

    Schools usually get special pricing with low markups, so few sales reps will
    waste time on schools if they have anything more profitable to spend ther
    time on.

    Having said that, IBM used to have a sales rep who dealt only with schools.
    But that was about 7 years ago....and IBM has since sold it's PC business
    to a Chinese company.

    steve, Jan 26, 2006
  8. SchoolTech

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Schools usually get special pricing with low markups, so few sales reps
    > will waste time on schools if they have anything more profitable to spend
    > ther time on.

    .....will NOT waste time.....

    steve, Jan 26, 2006
  9. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    On 25 Jan 2006 18:41:58 -0800, "Reuben Schwarz"
    <> wrote:

    >Have you tried Dell or Toshiba?

    Toshiba's a desktop retailer? First I heard.

    SchoolTech, Jan 26, 2006
  10. SchoolTech

    SchoolTech Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:48:21 +1300, EMB <> wrote:

    >SchoolTech wrote:
    >> Like, does HP even sell computers to schools?
    >>
    >> How do you get them interested?
    >>
    >> Tried to contact New Era IT, their listed agent, three times with no reply.
    >>
    >> Tried the address on the HP NZ website - also no reply.
    >>
    >> Are there other brandname PCs that sell into the NZ schools market I
    >> should be looking at (apart from Acer) ?

    >IBM

    Who's their agent?

    SchoolTech, Jan 26, 2006
  11. SchoolTech

    Richard Guest

    SchoolTech wrote:
    > On 25 Jan 2006 18:41:58 -0800, "Reuben Schwarz"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Have you tried Dell or Toshiba?

    > Toshiba's a desktop retailer? First I heard.

    You did not mention desktop was a requirement in the OP.

    With laptops outselling desktops its quite a reasonable assumption that you were
    looking for laptops.

    Richard, Jan 26, 2006
  12. SchoolTech

    Guest

    Evans wrote:
    > HP has 1 specific model - dx2000 for education institution, it has either a
    > Celeron 2.53GHz or P4 2.8GHz model. Problem is it has only XP Home so I
    > don't think they are designed for network use.

    Schools that are signed up to the Microsoft School Agreement get free
    XP Pro upgrades. Maybe HP thinks schools would rather save a few $$$ by
    paying for XP Home and then installing the XP Pro upgrade themselves.
    Of course, the time involved in doing this would cancel out the initial
    saving.

    , Jan 26, 2006
  13. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    wrote:
    > Evans wrote:
    >
    >>HP has 1 specific model - dx2000 for education institution, it has either a
    >>Celeron 2.53GHz or P4 2.8GHz model. Problem is it has only XP Home so I
    >>don't think they are designed for network use.

    > Schools that are signed up to the Microsoft School Agreement get free
    > XP Pro upgrades. Maybe HP thinks schools would rather save a few $$$ by
    > paying for XP Home and then installing the XP Pro upgrade themselves.
    > Of course, the time involved in doing this would cancel out the initial
    > saving.

    Is it really free? I understand what the deal is, having scrutinised it
    for my son's school. However, I've always wondered if it's really free.
    Each license still has to be registered with the MoE.
    Whether this is for auditing/statistical purposes, or whether Microsoft
    actually still charges a nominal fee for each additional license
    registered, I'm not sure.

    Perhaps someone in the loop may know?

    Daniel, Jan 26, 2006
  14. SchoolTech

    Rob J Guest

    In article <drbinm$k14$>,
    says...
    > wrote:
    > > Evans wrote:
    > >
    > >>HP has 1 specific model - dx2000 for education institution, it has either a
    > >>Celeron 2.53GHz or P4 2.8GHz model. Problem is it has only XP Home so I
    > >>don't think they are designed for network use.

    > > Schools that are signed up to the Microsoft School Agreement get free
    > > XP Pro upgrades. Maybe HP thinks schools would rather save a few $$$ by
    > > paying for XP Home and then installing the XP Pro upgrade themselves.
    > > Of course, the time involved in doing this would cancel out the initial
    > > saving.
    > >

    > Is it really free? I understand what the deal is, having scrutinised it
    > for my son's school. However, I've always wondered if it's really free.
    > Each license still has to be registered with the MoE.
    > Whether this is for auditing/statistical purposes, or whether Microsoft
    > actually still charges a nominal fee for each additional license
    > registered, I'm not sure.
    >
    > Perhaps someone in the loop may know?

    Microsoft do not charge for the software in the deal. Other software
    that is non-core can be purchased in some cases at a discount.

    Private schools are not eligible for the NZ Government free deal but can
    get some discounts.

    Rob J, Jan 27, 2006
  15. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <drbinm$k14$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >>Is it really free? I understand what the deal is, having scrutinised it
    >>for my son's school. However, I've always wondered if it's really free.
    >>Each license still has to be registered with the MoE.
    >>Whether this is for auditing/statistical purposes, or whether Microsoft
    >>actually still charges a nominal fee for each additional license
    >>registered, I'm not sure.
    >>
    >>Perhaps someone in the loop may know?

    > Microsoft do not charge for the software in the deal. Other software
    > that is non-core can be purchased in some cases at a discount.
    >
    > Private schools are not eligible for the NZ Government free deal but can
    > get some discounts.

    Hi Rob,

    Just wondering if you know this because you have "inside" information?

    If Microsoft don't charge at all, then that's really good to know. I've
    been a little suspicious that it possibly comes out of someone's budget
    and so haven't recommended registering the license with all PC's.
    Although, you still need a valid Windows O/S license on the target PC in
    the first place to take advantage of the MSA covered software (which is
    quite generous it must be said).

    Daniel, Jan 27, 2006
  16. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    wrote:
    > Evans wrote:
    >
    >>HP has 1 specific model - dx2000 for education institution, it has either a
    >>Celeron 2.53GHz or P4 2.8GHz model. Problem is it has only XP Home so I
    >>don't think they are designed for network use.

    > Schools that are signed up to the Microsoft School Agreement get free
    > XP Pro upgrades. Maybe HP thinks schools would rather save a few $$$ by
    > paying for XP Home and then installing the XP Pro upgrade themselves.
    > Of course, the time involved in doing this would cancel out the initial
    > saving.

    You get more than just a Windows XP Pro upgrade.

    You also get the latest MS Office Pro suite, including MS Publisher,
    plus Visual Studio Pro (although why they put that in there seems a tad
    dubious):-
    http://www.dsv.co.nz/moe/moe_faq.html

    Daniel, Jan 27, 2006
  17. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Schools that are signed up to the Microsoft School Agreement get free
    > XP Pro upgrades. Maybe HP thinks schools would rather save a few $$$ by
    > paying for XP Home and then installing the XP Pro upgrade themselves.
    > Of course, the time involved in doing this would cancel out the initial
    > saving.

    That's not necessarily the way it works. They'll use someone who's time
    is already paid for, rather than employ someone to do it.

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Jan 27, 2006
  18. In article <>,
    "Aldrin Fabricius" <> wrote:

    > Schools are too small and insignificant to even register on HP's radar,
    > unless it spins off some positive PR to bolster it's bottom line. I
    > could be wrong but unless you can present a good case to management it
    > is the same old saying "what can you do for me today".

    They may be small(ish) but there's a helluva lot of them. HP's problem
    will be that if their desktops cost $1.00 more than Dell's, they might
    as well not bother to show.

    We have a similar problem with BOTs who replace the school Apples with
    Wintel boxes to save $$$ then employ a full-time technician to replace
    the part-timer who was minding the Macs. Ha ha ha indeed.

    --
    Dibley

    Dibley Fanshaw, Jan 27, 2006
  19. SchoolTech

    Rob J Guest

    In article <drbubf$9b8$>,
    says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > > In article <drbinm$k14$>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >>Is it really free? I understand what the deal is, having scrutinised it
    > >>for my son's school. However, I've always wondered if it's really free.
    > >>Each license still has to be registered with the MoE.
    > >>Whether this is for auditing/statistical purposes, or whether Microsoft
    > >>actually still charges a nominal fee for each additional license
    > >>registered, I'm not sure.
    > >>
    > >>Perhaps someone in the loop may know?

    > > Microsoft do not charge for the software in the deal. Other software
    > > that is non-core can be purchased in some cases at a discount.
    > >
    > > Private schools are not eligible for the NZ Government free deal but can
    > > get some discounts.

    > Hi Rob,
    >
    > Just wondering if you know this because you have "inside" information?
    >
    > If Microsoft don't charge at all, then that's really good to know. I've
    > been a little suspicious that it possibly comes out of someone's budget
    > and so haven't recommended registering the license with all PC's.
    > Although, you still need a valid Windows O/S license on the target PC in
    > the first place to take advantage of the MSA covered software (which is
    > quite generous it must be said).

    The OS license can be just about any version of Windows. The package
    includes free upgrade to XP Professional.

    Rob J, Jan 27, 2006
  20. SchoolTech

    Daniel Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <drbubf$9b8$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >>Hi Rob,
    >>
    >>Just wondering if you know this because you have "inside" information?
    >>
    >>If Microsoft don't charge at all, then that's really good to know. I've
    >>been a little suspicious that it possibly comes out of someone's budget
    >>and so haven't recommended registering the license with all PC's.
    >>Although, you still need a valid Windows O/S license on the target PC in
    >>the first place to take advantage of the MSA covered software (which is
    >>quite generous it must be said).

    > The OS license can be just about any version of Windows. The package
    > includes free upgrade to XP Professional.

    I know that Rob.

    What I asked was whether you know there are no other hidden charges with
    license registration because you have "inside" info?

    If you don't know - and were just guessing, then that's fair enough.

    However, if you *do*, then I'd be very interested in regards to the details.

    Daniel, Jan 27, 2006