HP Scanjet 4470c Crap Drivers / Windows XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Patrick Dunford, Jan 20, 2005.

  1. PC is running XP SP2, total clean installation.

    Situation: The scanjet 4470c has been installed, tested and is working
    just fine on the USB connection. The user decides they want to move the
    scanner to a different location. They disconnect the USB cable, Windows
    makes a noise indicating the scanner has been disconnected. They move
    the scanner, set it up again and plug in the USB cable. Windows makes
    another noise as it redetects the scanner.

    The user then tries to do some more scanning and finds that the scanning
    software (supplied by HP) frequently hangs and/or complains that the
    scanner can't be detected. As if the temporary removal had caused
    Windows to change some settings that weren't changed back when the
    scanner was reconnected.

    The following fixes have been tried:
    1. Uninstall from Device Manager. Did not remove the hardware detection
    i.e. Windows did not ask for the drivers to be reinstalled when it
    redetected the scanner after this step had been performed.

    2. Use System Restore to rollback the entire computer to the state it
    was in before the scanner was first installed. However, Did not remove
    the hardware detection i.e. Windows did not ask for the drivers to be
    reinstalled when it redetected the scanner after this step had been
    performed.

    3. Reinstall WindowsXP from scratch. Since this particular PC is only
    being used with this scanner, this is relatively easy to do. This is
    extreme but it has successfully returned the reliable operation of the
    scanner by allowing the installation to be done again from the beginning.

    The HP drivers must be crap. I have never before seen a situation where
    disconnecting a USB device will cause it to not work properly the next
    time it is connected.

    However compounding this is that it appears to be impossible to force
    Windows XP to remove its existing hardware detection of any peripheral
    device. Once the device has been installed once, Windows can never be
    persuaded to re=detect it as a totally new device and install everything
    totally from scratch.

    Any ideas?
    Patrick Dunford, Jan 20, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Visit the HP forum for System, Network, & Help Desk Administrators
    and other IT Professionals who have questions about HP printers,
    their capabilities, and their connectivity.
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=218

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    "Patrick Dunford" wrote:

    | PC is running XP SP2, total clean installation.
    |
    | Situation: The scanjet 4470c has been installed, tested and is working
    | just fine on the USB connection. The user decides they want to move the
    | scanner to a different location. They disconnect the USB cable, Windows
    | makes a noise indicating the scanner has been disconnected. They move
    | the scanner, set it up again and plug in the USB cable. Windows makes
    | another noise as it redetects the scanner.
    |
    | The user then tries to do some more scanning and finds that the scanning
    | software (supplied by HP) frequently hangs and/or complains that the
    | scanner can't be detected. As if the temporary removal had caused
    | Windows to change some settings that weren't changed back when the
    | scanner was reconnected.
    |
    | The following fixes have been tried:
    | 1. Uninstall from Device Manager. Did not remove the hardware detection
    | i.e. Windows did not ask for the drivers to be reinstalled when it
    | redetected the scanner after this step had been performed.
    |
    | 2. Use System Restore to rollback the entire computer to the state it
    | was in before the scanner was first installed. However, Did not remove
    | the hardware detection i.e. Windows did not ask for the drivers to be
    | reinstalled when it redetected the scanner after this step had been
    | performed.
    |
    | 3. Reinstall WindowsXP from scratch. Since this particular PC is only
    | being used with this scanner, this is relatively easy to do. This is
    | extreme but it has successfully returned the reliable operation of the
    | scanner by allowing the installation to be done again from the beginning.
    |
    | The HP drivers must be crap. I have never before seen a situation where
    | disconnecting a USB device will cause it to not work properly the next
    | time it is connected.
    |
    | However compounding this is that it appears to be impossible to force
    | Windows XP to remove its existing hardware detection of any peripheral
    | device. Once the device has been installed once, Windows can never be
    | persuaded to re=detect it as a totally new device and install everything
    | totally from scratch.
    |
    | Any ideas?
    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Patrick Dunford

    Jim Macklin Guest

    Good idea. To force Windows to redetect hardware, use
    Device Manager to remove all the USB hubs and ports, then
    reboot.

    I think HP has issued new drivers for XP, the old 4470
    pre-dates XP (I think).


    --
    The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.


    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <> wrote in
    message news:eAfcgqv$...
    | Visit the HP forum for System, Network, & Help Desk
    Administrators
    | and other IT Professionals who have questions about HP
    printers,
    | their capabilities, and their connectivity.
    |
    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/familyhome.do?familyId=218
    |
    | --
    | Carey Frisch
    | Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP - Shell/User
    |
    | Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
    |
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    |
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    |
    | "Patrick Dunford" wrote:
    |
    || PC is running XP SP2, total clean installation.
    ||
    || Situation: The scanjet 4470c has been installed, tested
    and is working
    || just fine on the USB connection. The user decides they
    want to move the
    || scanner to a different location. They disconnect the USB
    cable, Windows
    || makes a noise indicating the scanner has been
    disconnected. They move
    || the scanner, set it up again and plug in the USB cable.
    Windows makes
    || another noise as it redetects the scanner.
    ||
    || The user then tries to do some more scanning and finds
    that the scanning
    || software (supplied by HP) frequently hangs and/or
    complains that the
    || scanner can't be detected. As if the temporary removal
    had caused
    || Windows to change some settings that weren't changed back
    when the
    || scanner was reconnected.
    ||
    || The following fixes have been tried:
    || 1. Uninstall from Device Manager. Did not remove the
    hardware detection
    || i.e. Windows did not ask for the drivers to be
    reinstalled when it
    || redetected the scanner after this step had been
    performed.
    ||
    || 2. Use System Restore to rollback the entire computer to
    the state it
    || was in before the scanner was first installed. However,
    Did not remove
    || the hardware detection i.e. Windows did not ask for the
    drivers to be
    || reinstalled when it redetected the scanner after this
    step had been
    || performed.
    ||
    || 3. Reinstall WindowsXP from scratch. Since this
    particular PC is only
    || being used with this scanner, this is relatively easy to
    do. This is
    || extreme but it has successfully returned the reliable
    operation of the
    || scanner by allowing the installation to be done again
    from the beginning.
    ||
    || The HP drivers must be crap. I have never before seen a
    situation where
    || disconnecting a USB device will cause it to not work
    properly the next
    || time it is connected.
    ||
    || However compounding this is that it appears to be
    impossible to force
    || Windows XP to remove its existing hardware detection of
    any peripheral
    || device. Once the device has been installed once, Windows
    can never be
    || persuaded to re=detect it as a totally new device and
    install everything
    || totally from scratch.
    ||
    || Any ideas?
    Jim Macklin, Jan 20, 2005
    #3
  4. Patrick Dunford

    namniar Guest

    Select scanner #2 in HP Director (Select Scanner window) then use scanner.
    Each USB port will be a different #. That's what happened to my 4570c.

    r.


    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > PC is running XP SP2, total clean installation.
    >
    > Situation: The scanjet 4470c has been installed, tested and is working
    > just fine on the USB connection. The user decides they want to move the
    > scanner to a different location. They disconnect the USB cable, Windows
    > makes a noise indicating the scanner has been disconnected. They move the
    > scanner, set it up again and plug in the USB cable. Windows makes another
    > noise as it redetects the scanner.
    >
    > The user then tries to do some more scanning and finds that the scanning
    > software (supplied by HP) frequently hangs and/or complains that the
    > scanner can't be detected. As if the temporary removal had caused Windows
    > to change some settings that weren't changed back when the scanner was
    > reconnected.
    >
    > The following fixes have been tried:
    > 1. Uninstall from Device Manager. Did not remove the hardware detection
    > i.e. Windows did not ask for the drivers to be reinstalled when it
    > redetected the scanner after this step had been performed.
    >
    > 2. Use System Restore to rollback the entire computer to the state it was
    > in before the scanner was first installed. However, Did not remove the
    > hardware detection i.e. Windows did not ask for the drivers to be
    > reinstalled when it redetected the scanner after this step had been
    > performed.
    >
    > 3. Reinstall WindowsXP from scratch. Since this particular PC is only
    > being used with this scanner, this is relatively easy to do. This is
    > extreme but it has successfully returned the reliable operation of the
    > scanner by allowing the installation to be done again from the beginning.
    >
    > The HP drivers must be crap. I have never before seen a situation where
    > disconnecting a USB device will cause it to not work properly the next
    > time it is connected.
    >
    > However compounding this is that it appears to be impossible to force
    > Windows XP to remove its existing hardware detection of any peripheral
    > device. Once the device has been installed once, Windows can never be
    > persuaded to re=detect it as a totally new device and install everything
    > totally from scratch.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    namniar, Jan 20, 2005
    #4
  5. Patrick Dunford

    Don Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:41:04 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >To force Windows to redetect hardware, use
    >Device Manager to remove all the USB hubs and ports, then
    >reboot.


    Or, instead of rebooting (takes too long), just go to the Control
    Panel and "Add New Hardware". This will redetect as well.

    I do this quite a lot because I have a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card in my
    notebook. When I'm not using it, I turn it off so it doesn't generate
    heat and (I hope) it will live longer than way...

    Later, when I do want to use it, I just "Add New Hardware" and it's
    back within second. It's much faster than rebooting.

    Don.
    Don, Jan 20, 2005
    #5
  6. Patrick Dunford

    E. Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > PC is running XP SP2, total clean installation.
    > Any ideas?


    Unplug scanner
    Uninstall HP software.
    Get uninstaller progs from HP for your model - for both software and
    hardware.
    go to a cmd prompt.
    set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc
    delete all 'ghosted' devices.
    get updated drivers and software from HP website.
    Reinstall
    E.
    E., Jan 20, 2005
    #6
  7. Jim Macklin wrote:
    > Good idea. To force Windows to redetect hardware, use
    > Device Manager to remove all the USB hubs and ports, then
    > reboot.


    Thanks. That turns out to be the only sure way, short of reinstalling
    XP, to fix the problem.

    HP's forum suggestion that I "make sure the computer was turned off
    before disconnecting/connecting the scanner" indicates they had no idea
    of the various ways in which the scanner drivers would fail. Even
    installing an updated version of the scanning software can break the
    drivers.

    > I think HP has issued new drivers for XP, the old 4470
    > pre-dates XP (I think).



    There has been a scanning software bug fix, not XP specific, and I don't
    see any new drivers for this model, or any that address this particular
    problem.
    Patrick Dunford, Jan 27, 2005
    #7
  8. Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Jim Macklin wrote:
    >
    >> Good idea. To force Windows to redetect hardware, use Device Manager
    >> to remove all the USB hubs and ports, then reboot.

    >
    >
    > Thanks. That turns out to be the only sure way, short of reinstalling
    > XP, to fix the problem.


    Not that either is gauranteed to produce a reliable outcome.
    Based on my experiences with this scanner I would think twice about
    buying an HP scanner in future.

    The software, even the latest update, has the infamous free disk space
    error that HP has not bothered to fix, and the update when used to
    install the drivers causes svchost to crash a lot.
    Patrick Dunford, Jan 28, 2005
    #8
  9. Patrick Dunford

    Jim Macklin Guest

    I have a 5500c and it has been just fine.
    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    news:41fa012d$...
    | Patrick Dunford wrote:
    |
    | > Jim Macklin wrote:
    | >
    | >> Good idea. To force Windows to redetect hardware, use
    Device Manager
    | >> to remove all the USB hubs and ports, then reboot.
    | >
    | >
    | > Thanks. That turns out to be the only sure way, short of
    reinstalling
    | > XP, to fix the problem.
    |
    | Not that either is gauranteed to produce a reliable
    outcome.
    | Based on my experiences with this scanner I would think
    twice about
    | buying an HP scanner in future.
    |
    | The software, even the latest update, has the infamous
    free disk space
    | error that HP has not bothered to fix, and the update when
    used to
    | install the drivers causes svchost to crash a lot.
    |
    Jim Macklin, Jan 28, 2005
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    639
    Peter
    Jan 23, 2007
  2. Guest
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    507
    Guest
    Jan 23, 2007
  3. Guest
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    427
  4. Mark Gillespie

    HP Scanjet 3400 - any X64 drivers

    Mark Gillespie, Oct 8, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    804
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
    Oct 8, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCYXR0bGU=?=

    Drivers for HP 7650 Scanjet

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBCYXR0bGU=?=, Feb 13, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    893
    =?Utf-8?B?cjBucnVsZXM=?=
    Apr 25, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page