  1. My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
    to have to dual boot back to old windows.

    Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

    Mark Gillespie, Oct 8, 2005

  2. "Mark Gillespie" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
    > to have to dual boot back to old windows.
    >
    > Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

    If HP have not supplied one then no.
    You can try and use another Window x64 driver for a similar device (maybe an
    older model or some other driver for a similar driver that is shipped or
    available for x64 Windows.).

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Oct 8, 2005

  3. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:52:26 +0100, Mike Brannigan [MSFT]
    <> wrote:

    > "Mark Gillespie" <> wrote in message
    >> My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
    >> to have to dual boot back to old windows.
    >>
    >> Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

    > If HP have not supplied one then no.
    > You can try and use another Window x64 driver for a similar device
    > (maybe an
    > older model or some other driver for a similar driver that is shipped or
    > available for x64 Windows.).

    Hmm, HP, as far as I can see, havn't released any Scanjet drivers...
    Wondered if anyone has used VMWares USB support within the virtual machine
    on a scanner, to get occasional USB scanner support, without the need to
    reboot/dual boot.

    Shame VirtualPC is far behind.. Any news on a new VirtualPC? Froma trial
    a while ago, I preffered VirtualPC over VMWare, but VMWare seemed the more
    advanced of the 2.

    Mark Gillespie, Oct 8, 2005
  4. Using VMWare's USB support works well and avoids the need to reboot.
    There is a caution that some USB devices don't work, but this does not seem
    to apply to scanners and printers.

    There is a 30 day trial version of VMWare so you can test it before buying.

    There is no news yet on when, if ever, VirtualPC will be updated to work
    with x64.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 8, 2005
  5. On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:07:01 +0100, Dominic Payer
    <> wrote:

    > There is no news yet on when, if ever, VirtualPC will be updated to work
    > with x64.

    Ever wondered (like me) wether Microsoft bought in the right product?
    VMWare seems to be much more advanced, and was obviously much easier to
    port to 64bit, and is more cross-platform.

    Perhaps Connectix were cheaper than VMware, either way the gap between the
    2 products is widening very quickly..

    Mark Gillespie, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Microsoft bought Connectix for Virtual Server, not VirtualPC. VMWare may not
    have been willing to sell to anyone.

    The programming team is working on the next, paid upgrade, version of
    Virtual Server. When that's done I expect they'll bring VirtualPC up to
    date. Given the features VPC needs to catch up with VMWare I think the
    update will be a paid for version.

    It's the same reason that x64 drivers aren't universally available - the
    resources that could do the job are limited and the commercial decision is
    where to use the resources to best advantage.

    Dominic Payer, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Remember there is Virtual Server 2005 R2 BETA which is compatible:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/virtualserver/evaluation/sp1beta.mspx
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 8, 2005