    After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
    files.

    How do you access it properly on a re-install?
    d, Mar 30, 2009

  2. d wrote:

    > anyway, I gave up on that and installed XP with the CD.
    >
    > After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
    > files.
    >
    > How do you access it properly on a re-install?

    HP should have provided a (set of) recovery media, most probably a cd which
    is bootable and gives a menu.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 30, 2009

  3. d

    Guest

    d wrote:
    > Recently I had to do a re-install on a HP machine.
    >
    > XP had crashed so that it wouldn't fully boot, caught in a loop, not even
    > getting to the F8- select safe-start stage.
    >
    > After I had re-installed XP using a CD. I noticed another partition during
    > the install.
    >
    > I tried to boot to it but was unable. There was no floppy drive and I
    > guess'd I would need a bootable CD with Fdisk on it to make the partition
    > active.
    >
    > anyway, I gave up on that and installed XP with the CD.
    >
    > After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
    > files.
    >
    > How do you access it properly on a re-install?

    I just wipe the drives or the partition and use it for something else.
    But I believe you can get a utility from the hp
    site

    I wonder if it is to create a restore cd or if it's a recovery
    partition.
    , Mar 31, 2009
  4. d

    Bill Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > d wrote:

    >> anyway, I gave up on that and installed XP with the CD.
    >>
    >> After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged re-install
    >> files.
    >>
    >> How do you access it properly on a re-install?

    > HP should have provided a (set of) recovery media, most probably a cd which
    > is bootable and gives a menu.

    It is a 4 gig recovery and restore partition. Method of access and use
    is listed in Help and the partition can be reset, formatted and used
    from Disk Management. I have the same system with XP Home that I
    upgraded to XP Pro and no longer needed the 'stuff' in the partition.
    Bill, Mar 31, 2009
  5. d

    d Guest

    >> After install I noticed the hidden partion contained the imaged
    >> re-install
    >> files.
    >>
    >> How do you access it properly on a re-install?

    > I just wipe the drives or the partition and use it for something else.
    > But I believe you can get a utility from the hp
    > site
    >
    > I wonder if it is to create a restore cd or if it's a recovery
    > partition.

    Yeh, the machine must of come with a recovery CD.

    Couldn't get to the disk managment or any function keys because it wasn't
    booting that far.

    Didn't find anything useful on HP's website. I didn't look to hard though,
    job done, can't remember the model.

    Ta anyway
    d, Apr 1, 2009
  6. d

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 01 Apr 2009 10:43:04 +0000, d wrote:

    > the machine must of come

    Must HAVE come.

    Aardvark, Apr 1, 2009
  7. d

    d Guest

    >> the machine must of come

    > Must HAVE come.

    lololol, was working to hard on getting the apostrophes right.
    d, Apr 2, 2009
  8. d

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:31:05 +0000, d wrote:

    >>> the machine must of come

    >> Must HAVE come.

    > lololol, was working to hard on getting the apostrophes right.

    Or should that be 'apostrophe's'? Hmmm? :)

    Aardvark, Apr 2, 2009