HP rant

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Aug 8, 2008.

  1. First a bit of backstory, not long ago we had a thunderstorm, with one
    and one only lightening strike, literally out of a (mostly) blue sky.

    My neighbour asked me the next day if my internet had gone down too, and
    I answered in the negative.

    Little did I realize, that all my phones were out, because all the adsl
    filters in the house had burned out. The moment I tried to use my
    networked HP 2610 networked printer, I discovered that all the little
    lights on the panel were flashing and an error message displayed.

    So I got on to HP email support and asked them what this error message
    (hexadecimal number) meant. They wrote back, telling me how to reset the
    printer. Oh. As expected, this did not fix the problem. I let them know,
    and they replied that this must be a hardware problem (ah!) and somebody
    would contact me by phone within the next two days. Happy so far.

    Of course, nobody managed to get me on the phone, since all the adsl
    filters had burned out. Which I didn't know about (yet). Soooo - once I
    got the phones fixed, I rang HP's 0800 number, to ask them to reactivate
    the case.

    Terrible IP phone line, the guy spoke reasonable Inglish, but it was
    damn near impossible to understand him due to dopplering and distortion.
    Not good, HP. He went through a whole spiel with me, had to give him the
    serial number, this and that, after half an hour he informed me that the
    printer was out of warranty. I had already told him that to start with!
    Doh. He then proceeded to tell me that to get any further support from
    him, I'd have to pony up 40 bucks. I told him that I merely wanted, from
    him, a phone number for a local service center so I could get my damn
    printer fixed. He wanted 40 bucks. I asked him to PLEASE give me a
    number for HP NZ, he wanted 40 bucks for continued phone support (which
    I didn't want or need, I damn well knew we weren't going to solve this
    over the phone) and then he referred me to the website where I would
    find links for email or internet chat support. Great. Slammed the phone
    down, NOT happy any more.

    Back to website. Chat support won't work, you have to specify a printer
    model number and if your model isn't in the dropdown list, it won't
    refer you on. Great. Pretty exasperated by now.

    Back to email support. Who then told me "there is no service center in
    your country, get back to your retailer or buy a new printer".
    This is one dissatisfied 'customer support' user now!!!

    So I got on to Ascent, who put me on to some outfit called Visual Group
    in Albany, who do service for HP. I got to Albany to drop my printer off
    for repairs, was met by a pimply Asian youth, barely able to communicate
    in English, who kinda scanned a printout of HP model numbers (and I mean
    that, he did NOT look carefully), shrugged and mumbled something about
    no major repairs. I asked if they could not souce parts or what? He
    shrugged. No major.

    I walked.

    So there is no way to get an expensive 3 year old HP printer fixed if
    something goes wrong with it that goes beyond a reset or a paper unjam?

    It stinks, i.m.h.o., to high heavens.

    I've been a HP customer for 20 years, but my replacement printer is NOT
    HP. It's a Canon, and I'll say this, just having installed it today:
    I've never owned a HP printer that could print photos on plain paper
    THIS well. I also never had a HP printer's driver and software install
    go this smoothly and *without* hickups. Well gosh. Naturally I cannot
    speak about continued performance yet.

    But I dare say HP haven't just lost my business, but also most of the
    people's whose buying decisions I make.

    -incidentally I found out that my 3com router also has sustained some
    damage. dhcp server says it's given out numbers but clients don't get
    one. For some reason MY computer is the only gadget that can connect to
    it reliably. Go figure. I found this out when I tried to connect the new
    printer and my wife's upgraded machine today.
    All this damage came in through the phone cable of the HP
    multifunction printer which wasn't unplugged. All the gear was actually
    separated from the grid and mostly not even turned on at the time. What
    rotten luck.

    -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Aug 8, 2008

  2. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Peter Huebner" typed:
> [...]
    > paper THIS well. I also never had a HP printer's driver and software
    > install go this smoothly and *without* hickups. Well gosh. Naturally
    > I cannot speak about continued performance yet.
    >
    > But I dare say HP haven't just lost my business, but also most of the
    > people's whose buying decisions I make.
    >

    > -incidentally I found out that my 3com router also has sustained some
    > damage. dhcp server says it's given out numbers but clients don't get
    > one. For some reason MY computer is the only gadget that can connect
    > to it reliably. Go figure. I found this out when I tried to connect
    > the new printer and my wife's upgraded machine today.
    > All this damage came in through the phone cable of the HP
    > multifunction printer which wasn't unplugged. All the gear was
    > actually separated from the grid and mostly not even turned on at the

    Rotten luck indeed Peter, soory to hear it.

    I changed from HP to Canon printers around the turn of the century and
    haven't looked back since. Silver linings and all that....

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Aug 8, 2008

  3. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > First a bit of backstory, not long ago we had a thunderstorm, with one
    > and one only lightening strike, literally out of a (mostly) blue sky.
    >
    > My neighbour asked me the next day if my internet had gone down too, and
    > I answered in the negative.
    >
    > Little did I realize, that all my phones were out, because all the adsl
    > filters in the house had burned out. The moment I tried to use my
    > networked HP 2610 networked printer, I discovered that all the little
    > lights on the panel were flashing and an error message displayed.

    ADSL filters seem to be the first thing to die during a lightning
    strike. When one of my clients suffered that misfortune they lost 2
    ADSL filters, their firewall, their PABX, a network switch and one PC.
    What was interesting was that the ADSL modem betweeen the filter and the
    firewall survived just fine.

    > So I got on to HP email support and asked them what this error message
    > (hexadecimal number) meant. They wrote back, telling me how to reset the
    > printer. Oh. As expected, this did not fix the problem. I let them know,
    > and they replied that this must be a hardware problem (ah!) and somebody
    > would contact me by phone within the next two days. Happy so far.
    >
    > Of course, nobody managed to get me on the phone, since all the adsl
    > filters had burned out. Which I didn't know about (yet). Soooo - once I
    > got the phones fixed, I rang HP's 0800 number, to ask them to reactivate
    > the case.
    >
    > Terrible IP phone line, the guy spoke reasonable Inglish, but it was
    > damn near impossible to understand him due to dopplering and distortion.
    > Not good, HP. He went through a whole spiel with me, had to give him the
    > serial number, this and that, after half an hour he informed me that the
    > printer was out of warranty. I had already told him that to start with!
    > Doh. He then proceeded to tell me that to get any further support from
    > him, I'd have to pony up 40 bucks. I told him that I merely wanted, from
    > him, a phone number for a local service center so I could get my damn
    > printer fixed. He wanted 40 bucks. I asked him to PLEASE give me a
    > number for HP NZ, he wanted 40 bucks for continued phone support (which
    > I didn't want or need, I damn well knew we weren't going to solve this
    > over the phone) and then he referred me to the website where I would
    > find links for email or internet chat support. Great. Slammed the phone
    > down, NOT happy any more.

    Their support guys in India are absolutely fucking uselsss. They have
    quite happily managed to misdescribe the last 3 calls I have made so
    that the wrong probem wasn't repaired... "No fault found" being the
    unsurprising diagnosis seeing they weren't looking for the actual
    problem. During my wee escalation of the matter I got an admission from
    a senoir NZ HP manager that he wished they could bring the call centre
    back here so as to avoid all the mistakes and communication difficulties.

    > Back to website. Chat support won't work, you have to specify a printer
    > model number and if your model isn't in the dropdown list, it won't
    > refer you on. Great. Pretty exasperated by now.
    >
    > Back to email support. Who then told me "there is no service center in
    > your country, get back to your retailer or buy a new printer".
    > This is one dissatisfied 'customer support' user now!!!
    >
    > So I got on to Ascent, who put me on to some outfit called Visual Group
    > in Albany, who do service for HP. I got to Albany to drop my printer off
    > for repairs, was met by a pimply Asian youth, barely able to communicate
    > in English, who kinda scanned a printout of HP model numbers (and I mean
    > that, he did NOT look carefully), shrugged and mumbled something about
    > no major repairs. I asked if they could not souce parts or what? He
    > shrugged. No major.

    Visual Group generally fix things ok, but are incredibly useless at the
    whole customer service thing. the Penrose branch is much better than
    the Albany one - it's where the management sit and they tend to LART the
    techs who don't at least try and be helpful to clients.

    > I walked.
    >
    > So there is no way to get an expensive 3 year old HP printer fixed if
    > something goes wrong with it that goes beyond a reset or a paper unjam?

    We don't repair the HP inkjets at work any more - if they are out of
    warranty and give problems we just bin them and buy a replacement.
    Between the labour costs, the wait for parts and the cost of the parts
    it's uneconomic to repair them.

    On a more positive note I bought a heatpipe CPU HSF for a 3 year old HP
    laptop earlier this week and was pleasantly surprised to find it only
    cost about $75. I was expecting to pay a lot more than that for it.

    > It stinks, i.m.h.o., to high heavens.
    >
    > I've been a HP customer for 20 years, but my replacement printer is NOT
    > HP. It's a Canon, and I'll say this, just having installed it today:
    > I've never owned a HP printer that could print photos on plain paper
    > THIS well. I also never had a HP printer's driver and software install
    > go this smoothly and *without* hickups. Well gosh. Naturally I cannot
    > speak about continued performance yet.
    >
    > But I dare say HP haven't just lost my business, but also most of the
    > people's whose buying decisions I make.

    We have a corporate edict that it's all HP gear. :-(

    > -incidentally I found out that my 3com router also has sustained some
    > damage. dhcp server says it's given out numbers but clients don't get
    > one. For some reason MY computer is the only gadget that can connect to
    > it reliably. Go figure. I found this out when I tried to connect the new
    > printer and my wife's upgraded machine today.

    Reset it to defaults and set it up again - that may solve the problem.
    EMB, Aug 8, 2008
  4. Peter Huebner

    impossible Guest

    "Peter Huebner" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > THIS well. I also never had a HP printer's driver and software install
    > go this smoothly and *without* hickups. Well gosh. Naturally I cannot
    > speak about continued performance yet.
    >
    > But I dare say HP haven't just lost my business, but also most of the
    > people's whose buying decisions I make.
    >

    > -incidentally I found out that my 3com router also has sustained some
    > damage. dhcp server says it's given out numbers but clients don't get
    > one. For some reason MY computer is the only gadget that can connect to
    > it reliably. Go figure. I found this out when I tried to connect the new
    > printer and my wife's upgraded machine today.
    > All this damage came in through the phone cable of the HP
    > multifunction printer which wasn't unplugged. All the gear was actually
    > separated from the grid and mostly not even turned on at the time. What

    Let's see...lightening strike fries your printer, which is out of
    warranty....rotten luck, indeed!....But you expect HP to hold your hand now,
    and you resent being told in any language that to do so will cost you. Is
    that about right?
    impossible, Aug 8, 2008
  5. In article <80Wmk.288904$yE1.264396@attbi_s21>,
    says...

    > Let's see...lightening strike fries your printer, which is out of
    > warranty....rotten luck, indeed!....But you expect HP to hold your hand now,
    > and you resent being told in any language that to do so will cost you. Is
    > that about right?

    Did you read what I wrote? Just how &^$% dumb do you think I am?

    I asked them to fix it, please; of course I expected to pay since I am
    perfectly well aware what 'out of warranty' means, and I told them in
    the first place. I am however not prepared to pay a phone-drone $40 US
    to not fix my printer because there's no way he can do that over the
    phone with his fistful of flowcharts. That's wasting his time, mine, and
    my money.

    They stuffed me around for ages, wouldn't put me on to the service dept,
    then finally after I went the long way around to find out where to find
    them, they told me they wouldn't attempt to fix it.
    Because they have no techs, and/or no parts, or they just don't care
    once it's past the warranty and would rather sell another extruded
    product.
    What good is it that the printer should report an error condition
    when nobody at 'tech support' even wants to bother to look up what it
    means? Or in other words: once your HP product is out of warranty,
    you're S.O.O.L. if it ever breaks, in terms of having half a hope of
    getting it fixed.

    I really wonder how you arrived at that snide little 'conclusion' of
    yours.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Aug 8, 2008
  6. Peter Huebner

    SlowLearner Guest

    On Aug 9, 1:12 am, Peter Huebner <> wrote:
    > In article <80Wmk.288904$yE1.264396@attbi_s21>,
    > says...
    >

    > > Let's see...lightening strike fries your printer, which is out of
    > > warranty....rotten luck, indeed!....But you expect HP to hold your hand now,
    > > and you resent being told in any language that to do so will cost you. Is
    > > that about right?

    > Did you read what I wrote? Just how &^$% dumb do you think I am?
    >
    > I asked them to fix it, please; of course I expected to pay since I am
    > perfectly well aware what 'out of warranty' means, and I told them in
    > the first place. I am however not prepared to pay a phone-drone $40 US
    > to not fix my printer because there's no way he can do that over the
    > phone with his fistful of flowcharts. That's wasting his time, mine, and
    > my money.
    >
    > They stuffed me around for ages, wouldn't put me on to the service dept,
    > then finally after I went the long way around to find out where to find
    > them, they told me they wouldn't attempt to fix it.
    > Because they have no techs, and/or no parts, or they just don't care
    > once it's past the warranty and would rather sell another extruded
    > product.
    > What good is it that the printer should report an error condition
    > when nobody at 'tech support' even wants to bother to look up what it
    > means? Or in other words: once your HP product is out of warranty,
    > you're S.O.O.L. if it ever breaks, in terms of having half a hope of
    > getting it fixed.
    >
    > I really wonder how you arrived at that snide little 'conclusion' of
    > yours.
    >
    > -P.

    HP does indeed suck. When it comes to "Sales and Service" there is
    only one half they are actually interested in and god forbid you
    expect both. It was interesting to read that Visual Group in Albany
    suck. From my own (and others) experience Visual Group in Wellington
    suck as well (there are a couple of guys there who are the ones you
    want to talk to, the rest avoid, sadly the good people usually leave
    rubbish shops so I don't know if they'll be there next time I have a
    problem).

    I guess HP must align with companies with similar corporate style to
    their own.
    SlowLearner, Aug 9, 2008
  7. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Let's see...lightening strike fries your printer, which is out of
    > warranty....rotten luck, indeed!....But you expect HP to hold your
    > hand now, and you resent being told in any language that to do so
    > will cost you. Is that about right?

    Especially one that is *three years* old! Almost from the ark, eh?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 9, 2008
  8. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > Because they have no techs, and/or no parts, or they just don't care
    > once it's past the warranty and would rather sell another extruded
    > product.

    It was three years old, for goodness sake! About destined for the scrap
    heap anyway!

    What annoys me about warranties is that if you get a machine replaced
    one day before the warranty expires, there is only one day's warranty on
    the brand new machine. OK, you couldn't expect the full warranty on the
    new box - it wouldn't be fair - but you'd expect maybe a half or a third
    warranty on the new beast.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - some drongo on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 9, 2008
  9. Peter Huebner

    impossible Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >>
    >> Let's see...lightening strike fries your printer, which is out of
    >> warranty....rotten luck, indeed!....But you expect HP to hold your
    >> hand now, and you resent being told in any language that to do so
    >> will cost you. Is that about right?
    >>

    > Especially one that is *three years* old! Almost from the ark, eh?

    What part of "out of warranty" don't you understand?
    impossible, Aug 10, 2008
  10. Peter Huebner

    impossible, Aug 10, 2008
  11. In article <Xupnk.236440$TT4.155446@attbi_s22>,
    says...

    > What part of "out of warranty" don't you understand?

    You really are a bit 'hard of thinking', eh?

    clunk.
    Peter Huebner, Aug 10, 2008
  12. Peter Huebner

    John W Guest

    >> Back to email support. Who then told me "there is no service center in

    > your country, get back to your retailer or buy a new printer".
    > This is one dissatisfied 'customer support' user now!!!
    >
    > So I got on to Ascent, who put me on to some outfit called Visual Group
    > in Albany, who do service for HP. I got to Albany to drop my printer off
    > for repairs, was met by a pimply Asian youth, barely able to communicate
    > in English, who kinda scanned a printout of HP model numbers (and I mean
    > that, he did NOT look carefully), shrugged and mumbled something about
    > no major repairs. I asked if they could not souce parts or what? He
    > shrugged. No major.
    >
    > I walked.
    >
    > So there is no way to get an expensive 3 year old HP printer fixed if
    > something goes wrong with it that goes beyond a reset or a paper unjam?

    Try the Visual Group branch at 15A Vestey Drive, Mt Wellengton. 5733002
    I think that is where they do the hands on kind of work. but still
    expensive.
    Some time ago they wanted to charge me $100 for a system restore disk.
    John W, Aug 11, 2008
  13. Peter Huebner

    > In article <Xupnk.236440$TT4.155446@attbi_s22>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> What part of "out of warranty" don't you understand?
    >>

    > You really are a bit 'hard of thinking', eh?

    Self-serving rants like yours are such a bore.
    impossible, Aug 11, 2008
  14. Peter Huebner

    EMB Guest

    John W wrote:
    > Try the Visual Group branch at 15A Vestey Drive, Mt Wellengton. 5733002
    > I think that is where they do the hands on kind of work. but still
    > expensive.

    They are no longer at that address. 28 Walls Rd, Penrose is their new
    location.
    EMB, Aug 11, 2008
  15. In article <>, says...

    > Visual Group generally fix things ok, but are incredibly useless at the
    > whole customer service thing. the Penrose branch is much better than
    > the Albany one - it's where the management sit and they tend to LART the
    > techs who don't at least try and be helpful to clients.

    Damn, wish I had known that a couple of days back .... the printer went
    into the inorganic collection the day before I read your message. <sigh>

    Well since I already have a replacement anyhow, it doesn't matter all
    _that_ much I suppose. But I'll know what to do & where to go when
    either of my HP monitors break. (I'd hate to chuck the 30" in the
    inorganic collection even after the warranty runs out).

    Thanks, -Peter
    Peter Huebner, Aug 14, 2008