HP PSC 64-bit odd behavior

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Aaron Kelley, Sep 11, 2006.

  1. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest

    I'm curious...
    Those of you using HP printers under x64 (XP or Vista), have you had any
    issues?

    My HP PSC 2110 has been doing some funny things with the XP x64 beta
    drivers, and this behavior is also present with the drivers included in
    Vista (separate machine). Here's what it does:

    - Sometimes, when printing, it decides it's done with the page in the
    middle of the page and spits it out half blank. Or, sometimes it decides it
    wants to skip the top part of the page and print only the bottom half or
    two-thirds, which also leaves the bottom of the page blank with the stuff on
    the top missing.
    - Sometimes it decides that it wants to print the wrong characters.
    Everything on the page is "incremented" by one ("A" becomes "B" and so on)
    but the spacing remains unchanged, so it looks very odd. Strange, but it
    happens.
    - When it's done with a job, it still says "Printing" and the little
    activity light is flashing. I can start another print job and it works, but
    I cannot scan unless I turn the unit off and then back on.

    I've been looking at getting a new printer for a while, since this thing has
    been finicky since I got it anyway, but I'm not sure if I want to go with
    HP. However, I have been looking at getting maybe a PSC 1410 or 1610.
    They're not too expensive, and smaller than the one I have now. I want to
    know if it *works* well with Windows x64... I don't want to buy a new one
    and have the same problems. My mother has a similar printer (I think it is
    a PSC 13xx) and it seems to work fine, although I haven't tried it under
    64-bit.

    In the recent "HP Printer support in Vista x64" thread, I see that some of
    you have these... I'm just looking to see if anyone can offer any thoughts
    before I decide what I want to do.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Sep 11, 2006

  2. No issues with an HP 1100 in either PCL or Postscript mode.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 11, 2006

  3. I am having a PSC 2355 and have had no such issues - one thing it does and
    that seems to be known behavior, is that if I print on both sides of the
    paper, I have to watch out so that the screensaver doesn't kick in - if it
    does, it cancels the printjob after I turn the stack and hit 'Continue'.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Aaron:
    My computer just broke up last night (guess it is the power supply).
    Will try my printer extensively as soon as I get my PC back.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Sep 11, 2006
  5. Aaron Kelley

    Aaron Kelley Guest