hp psc 1310 and My documents, resizing scanned photo

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how to
    use it.

    I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
    has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
    I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but
    when I press the print icon the picture prints in the original size.
    "Paint" comes up, I think the image is supposed to appear there in the
    frame for editing, but it doesn't. I've been looking through the instruction
    book and Help, but can't see how to get the image to appear. So the stuff
    about editing can't be done.

    Am I doing something wrong? What should I click? Is there anything I can
    click to get information about Paint? I've used it before for drawing
    pictures.

    Apart from this, I love the hp psc 1310, so easy to print emails out and
    make copies of things.

    Windows XP, Outlook Express 6

    Thank you
    Geopelia (clueless as usual!)

    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Geopelia

    juicyjuice Guest

    use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

    juicyjuice, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "juicyjuice" <> wrote in message
    > use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

    Thank you, but I don't have Paint Shop Pro.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Geopelia wrote:
    > I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how to
    > use it.
    >
    > I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital) which
    > has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
    > I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but

    Zoom is not the same as resize. Zoom makes the image appear larger while resize
    makes the image itself larger. I'm sorry I can give you specific information on
    how to do this in Paint. I use Irfanview to do simple image manipulation under
    Windows and Gimp for more serious stuff.

    Mark Robinson, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Geopelia

    Rebel Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > "juicyjuice" <> wrote in message
    >> use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

    > Thank you, but I don't have Paint Shop Pro.
    >
    > Geopelia

    The Gimp is a good open source replacement, I know that's a dirty word to
    some people here but not to you :)

    http://www.gimp.org

    Rebel, Jun 9, 2006
  6. Geopelia

    Martin Guest

    I've used similar HP all-in-ones and the software with it (scanner manager
    or something) usually lets you set the default resolution to scan at (eg.
    150 dpi) and the format to save in - jpg is usally a good choice ...

    Martin, Jun 9, 2006
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Rebel" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >

    >> "juicyjuice" <> wrote in message
    >>> use another program like Paint Shop Pro to resize the image.

    >> Thank you, but I don't have Paint Shop Pro.
    >>
    >> Geopelia
    >>>

    > The Gimp is a good open source replacement, I know that's a dirty word to
    > some people here but not to you :)
    >
    > http://www.gimp.org

    Thank you, but I just want to use the programs I have got. There must be
    something, if I could find out where to click for it.
    Gimp looks too technical for me.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2006
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> I have hp psc 1310. It prints, scans and copies. I am still learning how
    >> to use it.
    >>
    >> I've scanned a photo (Black and white Box Brownie one, not digital)
    >> which has ended up in My Documents as Bitmap.
    >> I'm trying to resize and print it. I can get the Preview, and I zoom, but

    > Zoom is not the same as resize. Zoom makes the image appear larger while
    > resize makes the image itself larger. I'm sorry I can give you specific
    > information on how to do this in Paint. I use Irfanview to do simple image
    > manipulation under Windows and Gimp for more serious stuff.

    Thank you. Paint is the program that came up when I opened the picture in My
    Documents. The image should be there, I think, but it isn't.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2006
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote in message
    > I've used similar HP all-in-ones and the software with it (scanner manager
    > or something) usually lets you set the default resolution to scan at (eg.
    > 150 dpi) and the format to save in - jpg is usally a good choice ...

    I used to use jpg when I had Ulead photo express, but HP seems to save it in
    Bitmap.
    I just want to be able to resize the scanned photo.
    I'll carry on hunting through the user guide and Help, there ought to be
    something there but I haven't been able to find it.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2006
  10. Geopelia

    Matty F Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > Thank you, but I just want to use the programs I have got. There must be
    > something, if I could find out where to click for it.
    > Gimp looks too technical for me.

    Using Paint:
    File/Open [picname]
    Image menu: Stretch/Skew
    change both the horizontal and vertical stretch from 100% to
    desired size.
    File/Save As [newpicname]

    Paint can also change it from bmp to jpg which has a much smaller
    file size if you want to email it. To do that, use "Save as type"
    JPEG when saving.

    Matty F, Jun 9, 2006
  11. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Thank you, but I just want to use the programs I have got. There must be
    >> something, if I could find out where to click for it.
    >> Gimp looks too technical for me.

    > Using Paint:
    > File/Open [picname]
    > Image menu: Stretch/Skew
    > change both the horizontal and vertical stretch from 100% to desired size.
    > File/Save As [newpicname]
    >
    > Paint can also change it from bmp to jpg which has a much smaller file
    > size if you want to email it. To do that, use "Save as type" JPEG when
    > saving.

    I found a way to get wallet sized pictures last night, from the settings
    menu.

    Thank you. That looks much simpler, from Paint . I'll try it.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 9, 2006
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >> I've used similar HP all-in-ones and the software with it (scanner
    >> manager or something) usually lets you set the default resolution to scan
    >> at (eg. 150 dpi) and the format to save in - jpg is usally a good choice

    > I used to use jpg when I had Ulead photo express, but HP seems to save it
    > in Bitmap.
    > I just want to be able to resize the scanned photo.
    > I'll carry on hunting through the user guide and Help, there ought to be
    > something there but I haven't been able to find it.

    I've managed to get into JPEG and found how to get a wallet sized photo,
    which was what I wanted. Hope I'll remember how to do that next time.

    I'll save all the information folks have kindly sent me.

    Thanks to all

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jun 10, 2006
  13. Geopelia

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've used similar HP all-in-ones and the software with it (scanner
    >>> manager or something) usually lets you set the default resolution to
    >>> scan at (eg. 150 dpi) and the format to save in - jpg is usally a good
    >>> choice ...

    >> I used to use jpg when I had Ulead photo express, but HP seems to save it
    >> in Bitmap.
    >> I just want to be able to resize the scanned photo.
    >> I'll carry on hunting through the user guide and Help, there ought to be
    >> something there but I haven't been able to find it.

    > I've managed to get into JPEG and found how to get a wallet sized photo,
    > which was what I wanted. Hope I'll remember how to do that next time.
    >
    > I'll save all the information folks have kindly sent me.
    >
    > Thanks to all
    >
    > Geopelia

    When doing 6 X 4 prints on a HP printer make sure you use HP paper. Only
    because HP 6 X 4 paper is cloer to 6 1/2 X 4 to allow for the blank tab that
    HP printers leave unprinted.

    You can use other paper but it won't give a full 6 x 4 print (border
    included), it will crop a bit off the picture.

    If you've got wallpaper 1024 X 768 size pictures, then it's best to crop a
    bit out of them so that they become 1024 X 680 to give good 6 X 4 prints.
    The difference is like 4.3 TVs compared to widescreen TVs when editing
    pictures for 6 X 4 prints.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jun 11, 2006
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Martin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I used to use jpg when I had Ulead photo express, but HP seems to save
    >>> it in Bitmap.
    >>> I just want to be able to resize the scanned photo.
    >>> I'll carry on hunting through the user guide and Help, there ought to be
    >>> something there but I haven't been able to find it.

    >> I've managed to get into JPEG and found how to get a wallet sized photo,
    >> which was what I wanted. Hope I'll remember how to do that next time.
    >>
    >> I'll save all the information folks have kindly sent me.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all
    >>
    >> Geopelia

    > When doing 6 X 4 prints on a HP printer make sure you use HP paper. Only
    > because HP 6 X 4 paper is cloer to 6 1/2 X 4 to allow for the blank tab
    > that HP printers leave unprinted.
    >
    > You can use other paper but it won't give a full 6 x 4 print (border
    > included), it will crop a bit off the picture.
    >
    > If you've got wallpaper 1024 X 768 size pictures, then it's best to crop a
    > bit out of them so that they become 1024 X 680 to give good 6 X 4 prints.
    > The difference is like 4.3 TVs compared to widescreen TVs when editing
    > pictures for 6 X 4 prints.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Thank you, I'll make a note of that.

    Geopelia