HP products that are not supported by MS Vista

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista, and
    some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is very
    poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called the HP
    Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has had
    very little use and is only 4 years old.

    On the HP website it states the following about this model

    We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support
    available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with
    Windows Vista.
    The majority of HP products not supported in Windows Vista are beyond seven
    years old.
    If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please
    consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.

    Well HP, the scanner isn't anywhere near seven years old. Will I buy another
    expensive HP product, yeah right.

    Funnily enough I have a HP laserjet 5L which is about 13 years old, and they
    do have a vista driver for it!

    Rob, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Rob

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 15:31:09 +1300, "Rob" <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    > I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista, and
    >some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is very
    >poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called the HP
    >Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has had
    >very little use and is only 4 years old.

    After reading this I checked the HP site about my Scanjet 3750c and
    found that it is compatible with Vista. More importantly, I found a
    couple of useful patches for Windows XPpro. So thank you ...

    Donchano, Mar 5, 2007

  3. Rob

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista, and
    > some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is very
    > poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called the HP
    > Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has had
    > very little use and is only 4 years old.

    It may be supported under Linux using sane, if so, you could run a copy
    of Linux in a VM and continue to use it that way. Or do the same with a
    copy of XP if you have a spare license.

    Vuescan supports something like 700 scanners directly, unfortunately for
    your model the Windows libraries are required :-(

    There may be other 3rd party software that supports your model without
    requiring Windows drivers I guess.

    Or maybe stick with XP - is there a compelling reason to upgrade, or are
    you just buying new hardware with Vista already installed?

    -=rjh=-, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "-=rjh=-" <> wrote in message
    > Rob wrote:
    >> I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista,
    >> and some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which
    >> is very poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002
    >> called the HP Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows
    >> xp, and it has had very little use and is only 4 years old.

    > It may be supported under Linux using sane, if so, you could run a copy of
    > Linux in a VM and continue to use it that way. Or do the same with a copy
    > of XP if you have a spare license.
    >
    > Vuescan supports something like 700 scanners directly, unfortunately for
    > your model the Windows libraries are required :-(
    >
    > There may be other 3rd party software that supports your model without
    > requiring Windows drivers I guess.
    >
    > Or maybe stick with XP - is there a compelling reason to upgrade, or are
    > you just buying new hardware with Vista already installed?

    Thanks for that information. Yes I will be buying a new computer with vista
    installed, but I may run the scanner on the old computer, as I don't use
    that much.

    Rob, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Rob

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1173061585.712324@ftpsrv1>, says...
    > I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista, and
    > some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is very
    > poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called the HP
    > Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has had
    > very little use and is only 4 years old.
    >
    > On the HP website it states the following about this model
    >
    > We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support
    > available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with
    > Windows Vista.
    > The majority of HP products not supported in Windows Vista are beyond seven
    > years old.
    > If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please
    > consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.
    >

    > Well HP, the scanner isn't anywhere near seven years old. Will I buy another
    > expensive HP product, yeah right.

    It's still old - as far as MS is concerned. Mate's had similar issues -
    and as an MVP has had direct contact w' MS support - but to little
    avail...

    http://blog.crowe.co.nz/

    Perhaps Mauricio Freitas might be able to comment?

    It is certainly dissapointing to see such poor support for relatively
    new products.

    Hey Microsoft - how old is XP ?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 5, 2007
  6. On Mar 5, 9:49 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista, and
    > > some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is very
    > > poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called the HP
    > > Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has had
    > > very little use and is only 4 years old.

    > > On the HP website it states the following about this model

    > > We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support
    > > available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with
    > > Windows Vista.
    > > The majority of HP products not supported in Windows Vista are beyond seven
    > > years old.
    > > If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please
    > > consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.

    > > Well HP, the scanner isn't anywhere near seven years old. Will I buy another
    > > expensive HP product, yeah right.

    > It's still old - as far as MS is concerned. Mate's had similar issues -
    > and as an MVP has had direct contact w' MS support - but to little
    > avail...
    >
    > http://blog.crowe.co.nz/
    >
    > Perhaps Mauricio Freitas might be able to comment?
    >
    > It is certainly dissapointing to see such poor support for relatively
    > new products.

    Agreed, and its worthwhile noting that Microsoft doesn't own and write
    the drivers for all these devices. Primarily they are written by the
    device vendor, and often its a business decision that they make about
    whether to invest to write drivers for "old" devices on "new" OSes

    > Hey Microsoft - how old is XP ?

    Almost 5.5 years now

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Nathan Mercer" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 5, 9:49 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> > I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with
    >> > vista, and
    >> > some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is
    >> > very
    >> > poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called
    >> > the HP
    >> > Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has
    >> > had
    >> > very little use and is only 4 years old.

    >> > On the HP website it states the following about this model

    >> > We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support
    >> > available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work
    >> > with
    >> > Windows Vista.
    >> > The majority of HP products not supported in Windows Vista are beyond
    >> > seven
    >> > years old.
    >> > If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer,
    >> > please
    >> > consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows
    >> > Vista.

    >> > Well HP, the scanner isn't anywhere near seven years old. Will I buy
    >> > another
    >> > expensive HP product, yeah right.

    >> It's still old - as far as MS is concerned. Mate's had similar issues -
    >> and as an MVP has had direct contact w' MS support - but to little
    >> avail...
    >>
    >> http://blog.crowe.co.nz/
    >>
    >> Perhaps Mauricio Freitas might be able to comment?
    >>
    >> It is certainly dissapointing to see such poor support for relatively
    >> new products.

    > Agreed, and its worthwhile noting that Microsoft doesn't own and write
    > the drivers for all these devices. Primarily they are written by the
    > device vendor, and often its a business decision that they make about
    > whether to invest to write drivers for "old" devices on "new" OSes
    >
    >> Hey Microsoft - how old is XP ?

    > Almost 5.5 years now
    >
    > Cheers
    > Nathan

    Well a 4 year old high priced scanner, HP should be providing drivers for
    it. I think scanners should last upwards of 10 years, especially if they are
    rarely used. I pressume they didn't sell many of them, which is why they
    aren't supporting vista, as they have release updates for hardware that is
    over 12 years old(Laserjet 5L). I am not sure if HP would be breaching NZ
    consumer law by not providing software updates for a product within it's
    lifecycle.

    XP may have been released five and a half years ago, but they were still
    selling it in January 07, and they have released service packs for it which
    has kept it updated to 2007. They will also continue to support it and
    release security updates until at least 2010. Vista sales are below
    microsofts expectations, and it is probably catability issues, as well as
    confusing release versions and the price, plus the lack of many new useful
    advantages, that is causing this. Plus many people will need to get a new
    computer to run it with it's full features, and many people will now need to
    update their computers periphials.

    Rob, Mar 6, 2007
  8. Rob

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mar 5, 9:49 pm, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > > I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista, and
    > > > some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is very
    > > > poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called the HP
    > > > Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has had
    > > > very little use and is only 4 years old.

    > > > On the HP website it states the following about this model

    > > > We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support
    > > > available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with
    > > > Windows Vista.
    > > > The majority of HP products not supported in Windows Vista are beyond seven
    > > > years old.
    > > > If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer, please
    > > > consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows Vista.

    > > > Well HP, the scanner isn't anywhere near seven years old. Will I buy another
    > > > expensive HP product, yeah right.

    > > It's still old - as far as MS is concerned. Mate's had similar issues -
    > > and as an MVP has had direct contact w' MS support - but to little
    > > avail...
    > >
    > > http://blog.crowe.co.nz/
    > >
    > > Perhaps Mauricio Freitas might be able to comment?
    > >
    > > It is certainly dissapointing to see such poor support for relatively
    > > new products.

    > Agreed, and its worthwhile noting that Microsoft doesn't own and write
    > the drivers for all these devices. Primarily they are written by the
    > device vendor, and often its a business decision that they make about
    > whether to invest to write drivers for "old" devices on "new" OSes

    Who writes Microsoft ActiveSync?

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>> It's still old - as far as MS is concerned. Mate's had similar issues -
    >>> and as an MVP has had direct contact w' MS support - but to little
    >>> avail...
    >>>
    >>> http://blog.crowe.co.nz/
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps Mauricio Freitas might be able to comment?
    >>>
    >>> It is certainly dissapointing to see such poor support for relatively
    >>> new products.

    >> Agreed, and its worthwhile noting that Microsoft doesn't own and write
    >> the drivers for all these devices. Primarily they are written by the
    >> device vendor, and often its a business decision that they make about
    >> whether to invest to write drivers for "old" devices on "new" OSes

    > Who writes Microsoft ActiveSync?

    MS probably since they also write the mobile OS it is designed to work with

    Collector»NZ, Mar 6, 2007
  10. On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 07:06:16 +1300, Collector»NZ
    <> wrote:

    >Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>> Agreed, and its worthwhile noting that Microsoft doesn't own and write
    >>> the drivers for all these devices. Primarily they are written by the
    >>> device vendor, and often its a business decision that they make about
    >>> whether to invest to write drivers for "old" devices on "new" OSes

    >> Who writes Microsoft ActiveSync?
    >>

    >MS probably since they also write the mobile OS it is designed to work with

    I just bought a refurbished HP 5590 digital scanner with adf, Vista
    ready, for US$80!

    I darn near bought a couple more to bring home and hock off..

    Cath

    texan....usenet@texas...removethisbit...usacom.., Mar 6, 2007
  11. Rob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1173061585.712324@ftpsrv1>, says...
    >> I was just checking which of my hardware will be compatible with vista,
    >> and
    >> some of my hardware will be, but one of my newer pieces isn't, which is
    >> very
    >> poor. I have got an expensive scanner that I purchased in 2002 called the
    >> HP
    >> Scanjet 5470c , which I have only ever used with windows xp, and it has
    >> had
    >> very little use and is only 4 years old.
    >>
    >> On the HP website it states the following about this model
    >>
    >> We are sorry to inform you that there will be no Windows Vista support
    >> available for your HP product. Therefore your product will not work with
    >> Windows Vista.
    >> The majority of HP products not supported in Windows Vista are beyond
    >> seven
    >> years old.
    >> If you are using the Windows Vista operating system on your computer,
    >> please
    >> consider upgrading to a newer HP product that is supported on Windows
    >> Vista.
    >>

    >> Well HP, the scanner isn't anywhere near seven years old. Will I buy
    >> another
    >> expensive HP product, yeah right.

    > It's still old - as far as MS is concerned. Mate's had similar issues -
    > and as an MVP has had direct contact w' MS support - but to little
    > avail...
    >
    > http://blog.crowe.co.nz/
    >
    > Perhaps Mauricio Freitas might be able to comment?
    >
    > It is certainly dissapointing to see such poor support for relatively
    > new products.
    >
    > Hey Microsoft - how old is XP ?
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    For those that just got XP today, it would be up to 3 hours old.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Mar 7, 2007
  12. Rob

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...

    >> > It's still old - as far as MS is concerned. Mate's had similar
    >> > issues -
    >> > and as an MVP has had direct contact w' MS support - but to little
    >> > avail...
    >> >
    >> > http://blog.crowe.co.nz/
    >> >
    >> > Perhaps Mauricio Freitas might be able to comment?
    >> >
    >> > It is certainly dissapointing to see such poor support for relatively
    >> > new products.

    >> Agreed, and its worthwhile noting that Microsoft doesn't own and write
    >> the drivers for all these devices. Primarily they are written by the
    >> device vendor, and often its a business decision that they make about
    >> whether to invest to write drivers for "old" devices on "new" OSes

    > Who writes Microsoft ActiveSync?
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Any good plumber could do that.