    TY

    ps: hp no help, states use windows drivers, but offers no software for
    printer.
    Norman Frith, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Norman Frith

    old man Guest

    Buy a new up to date printer
    The WinXP default drivers will not give you the same options as an HP
    driver, they are basic drivers.

    "Norman Frith" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am running Windows XP Pro. I have a HP printer, Deskjet 812C. Used

    with
    > a Windows 95 computer, no problems. I switched the printer to a Windows XP
    > computer, the HP software not compatible with XP, but XP has all the

    drivers
    > within so I can print kinda.
    > I do not seem to have the same abilities I had before. ex: print only
    > odd or even pages, its become a pain to print on both sides of page, no
    > selection available. Clicking the printer icon on a web page used to bring

    > pop-up that allowed me choices, a chance to set some parameters. Now it

    goes

    old man, Sep 14, 2006

  3. Norman Frith

    thanatoid Guest

    "Norman Frith" <> wrote in

    > Hi,
    > I am running Windows XP Pro. I have a HP printer,
    > Deskjet 812C. Used with
    > a Windows 95 computer, no problems. I switched the printer
    > to a Windows XP computer, the HP software not compatible
    > with XP, but XP has all the drivers within so I can print
    > kinda.
    > I do not seem to have the same abilities I had before.
    > ex: print only
    > odd or even pages, its become a pain to print on both sides
    > of page, no selection available. Clicking the printer icon
    > on a web page used to bring a pop-up that allowed me
    > choices, a chance to set some parameters. Now it goes
    > immediately to print.
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    > TY
    >

    > ps: hp no help, states use windows drivers, but offers no
    > software for printer.

    From the info you have provided, the main "thought" I have is
    that since the printer is old enough not to have XP drivers,
    forcing you to use XP's "general" drivers, many of the options
    previously available to you in the "custom" HP software are gone
    forever. Not surprising at all. In fact I am surprised XP
    provides *A* driver that works to begin with.

    There is ONE thing ALL software and hardware manufacturers agree
    on, they want you to buy new products. As often as possible. On
    a recent visit to an OfficeMax, I saw a big (5K or more)
    cartridge for an HP Laserjet 4 which cost MORE than several of
    the new laser printers, including HP.

    BTW, unless for some reason color is ESSENTIAL to you and/or you
    don't mind paying through the nose for cartridges (two sets of
    which can cost more than a new inkjet printer), switch to laser.
    There are some VERY cheap lasers available now, and while there
    has been a disturbing trend towards smaller laser cartridges (2
    or 3K pages instead of the 5 or 6 several years ago, not to
    mention the one you get with the printer may only do 1K), it is
    still a much better deal, IMO.
    thanatoid, Sep 14, 2006
  4. Norman Frith

    Norman Frith Guest

    TY 4 info

    Norman Frith, Sep 14, 2006
  5. Norman Frith

    fkasner Guest

    Norman Frith wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am running Windows XP Pro. I have a HP printer, Deskjet 812C. Used with
    > a Windows 95 computer, no problems. I switched the printer to a Windows XP
    > computer, the HP software not compatible with XP, but XP has all the drivers
    > within so I can print kinda.
    > I do not seem to have the same abilities I had before. ex: print only
    > odd or even pages, its become a pain to print on both sides of page, no
    > selection available. Clicking the printer icon on a web page used to bring a
    > pop-up that allowed me choices, a chance to set some parameters. Now it goes
    > immediately to print.
    > Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    > TY
    >

    > ps: hp no help, states use windows drivers, but offers no software for
    > printer.

    I have a similar experience. I bought an expensive very versatile HP
    DeskJet 1120C several years ago. When I connected it to a box running XP
    Pro it would not provide the many features that it provided when its
    driver was used on my old ME box. I received no satisfaction from HP.
    Their suggestion that I use the generic driver in XP was not
    satisfactory at all. I tried using the driver for the DeskJet 1200 but
    it didn't work. I will probably move this local printer to my Me box as
    a local printer that may work as a shared printer for the network which
    the two computers are on. I have a network laser printer (B&W my old
    Epson 7100 laser printer needs a new drum which is more expensive than
    the cost of the Lexmark laser printer that I replaced it with.) I do
    think that HP's attitude is contemptible. But can't do much to counter
    their position.
    FK
    fkasner, Sep 15, 2006
  6. Norman Frith

    chuckie Guest

    Hey Norman,
    I have a DeskJet 722C that I use at work, ran into the same problem, sort
    of. I am running on Win2000 Pro, and there were no drivers for that either,
    HP suggesting to use the 'generic' Windows drivers. I tried the older NT
    driver for that printer, and, lo and behold, they worked. I now have the
    'Tool Box' and other features that I had with Win98SE, which is what I was
    using when I bought that printer. Now, I have no idea whatsoever if the NT
    drivers will function in XP, but they do in Win2000, might be worth a shot,
    worst case scenario: they won't work...just a thought...

    chuckie, Sep 15, 2006
  7. Norman Frith

    LAH Guest

    I have an HP 712C printer with exactly the same problem. I can't set it to
    print even or odd pages. I googled for some ideas and found a
    recommendation for Fineprint at http://www.fineprint.com/ It is a free
    trial with an option to purchase. I think the purchase price is about
    $50.00. It appears to do everything you want and more. I haven't tried it
    so can't give you any first hand experience. I'd give it a whirl except I'm
    basically cheap and really hate to fork out $50.00 to improve the
    functionality of an old printer. Perhaps I'd be better off putting the
    money towards a new and faster printer with more options?

    Another work around possibility is if you have a pdf printer, such as the
    full version of Adobe Acrobat, you could print to Adobe Acrobat and then
    print to your Deskjet 812C from Adobe. Adobe has the option to print even
    or odd pages.

    Hope this helps,
    LAH

    LAH, Sep 15, 2006