    Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
    photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
    customer !
    whoisthis, Apr 4, 2006

  2. whoisthis

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:05:36 +1200, whoisthis <>
    exclaimed:

    >We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    >
    >He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    >had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    >cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    >
    >They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    >information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
    >
    >WHAT A CON JOB.
    >
    >There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
    >able to keep profits high.
    >
    >Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
    >photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
    >customer !

    I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
    ink is cheaper, too.
    Fred Dagg, Apr 4, 2006

  3. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Fred Dagg <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:05:36 +1200, whoisthis <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    > >We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    > >
    > >He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    > >had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    > >cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    > >
    > >They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    > >information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
    > >
    > >WHAT A CON JOB.
    > >
    > >There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
    > >able to keep profits high.
    > >
    > >Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
    > >photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
    > >customer !

    > I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
    > ink is cheaper, too.

    Yeah but I use Macs and Canon has habitually been way behind in drivers
    and we had nothing but problems with some Brother printers. I am leaning
    towards Epson at this stage.
    whoisthis, Apr 4, 2006
  4. whoisthis

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:31:38 +1200, whoisthis <>
    exclaimed:

    >In article <>,
    > Fred Dagg <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 19:05:36 +1200, whoisthis <>
    >> exclaimed:
    >>
    >> >We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    >> >
    >> >He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    >> >had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    >> >cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    >> >
    >> >They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    >> >information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
    >> >
    >> >WHAT A CON JOB.
    >> >
    >> >There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
    >> >able to keep profits high.
    >> >
    >> >Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
    >> >photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
    >> >customer !

    >> I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
    >> ink is cheaper, too.

    >Yeah but I use Macs and Canon has habitually been way behind in drivers
    >and we had nothing but problems with some Brother printers. I am leaning
    >towards Epson at this stage.

    Hmm, I've gone right off Epson inkjets. Their lasers are OK, but I've
    found their inkjets to be a little short in the quality stakes. (not
    as bad as Lexmarks of course, but still a little disappointing).
    Fred Dagg, Apr 4, 2006
  5. whoisthis

    Rider Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    >
    > He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    > had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    > cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    >
    > They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    > information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
    >
    > WHAT A CON JOB.
    >
    > There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
    > able to keep profits high.
    >
    > Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
    > photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
    > customer !

    Are you planning on going overseas with your printer?

    Rider
    Rider, Apr 4, 2006
  6. "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    >> We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    >>
    >> He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    >> had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    >> cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    >>
    >> They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    >> information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.

    If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
    the phone to rezone the printer.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Apr 4, 2006
  7. whoisthis

    Jerry Guest

    Craig Whitmore wrote:
    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    >>>
    >>>He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    >>>had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    >>>cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    >>>
    >>>They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    >>>information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
    >>>

    > If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
    > the phone to rezone the printer.
    >
    > Thanks

    An Italian talking to an Indian about a printer in New Zealand. How
    about recording that conversation for us :p
    Jerry, Apr 4, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    says...

    > I'd recommend the Canon ones. They're better than the HP, and their
    > ink is cheaper, too.

    YMMV. I bought a new printer about half a year ago, and I did extensive tests
    comparing our one neighbour's brand new Canon battleship multifunction with the
    other neighbour's HP24nn multifunction and I liked the print quality of the HP
    better (blacker blacks, higher contrast).
    I got the 2600 series HP with built-in NIC and it's fab. Don't miss the slide
    scanning that the Canon has as standard equipment.

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Apr 4, 2006
  9. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <wXpYf.10725$>,
    "Rider" <> wrote:

    > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > > We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    > >
    > > He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    > > had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    > > cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    > >
    > > They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    > > information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
    > >
    > > WHAT A CON JOB.
    > >
    > > There is NO justification for zoning ink jet cartridges except to be
    > > able to keep profits high.
    > >
    > > Sorry HP, I was going to buy a 3110 with wireless connection for
    > > photoprinting but will now look at other brands, you have lost a
    > > customer !

    > Are you planning on going overseas with your printer?
    >
    > Rider

    No, but then again like DVDs, Books, Software, etc I WILL buy them
    overseas if I can get them cheaper, zoning is simply an unwarranted
    restrictive trade practice.
    whoisthis, Apr 4, 2006
  10. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <44322e06$>,
    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    > "Rider" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > >> We have an Itallian student who bought in his HP inkjet printer.
    > >>
    > >> He had replaced the cartridges here in NZ as the ones he used in Itally
    > >> had run out, but NO, that is NOT good enough, they have to be ink
    > >> cartridges from the correct ZONE.
    > >>
    > >> They ARE identical to the NZ ones, its just that they have zone
    > >> information on the cartridge and it will NOT accept the NZ ones.
    > >>

    > If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
    > the phone to rezone the printer.
    >
    > Thanks

    ONCE !
    whoisthis, Apr 4, 2006
  11. whoisthis wrote:

    > Yeah but I use Macs and Canon has habitually been way behind in drivers
    > and we had nothing but problems with some Brother printers. I am leaning
    > towards Epson at this stage.

    The newer Canon printers come out with good Mac drivers quite quickly.
    Jason Fanning, Apr 4, 2006
  12. On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:25:51 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
    > the phone to rezone the printer.

    What's the purpose of zoning a printer?

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Apr 4, 2006
  13. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:25:51 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    > > If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
    > > the phone to rezone the printer.

    > What's the purpose of zoning a printer?

    To stop you buying ink cheaper overseas, to stop you refilling
    cartridges, to keep profits maximised.

    Inkjet ink is the most expensive liquid on earth, you can refuel the
    space shuttle cheaper on a per litre basis.
    whoisthis, Apr 4, 2006
  14. whoisthis

    shannon Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Waylon Kenning <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 20:25:51 +1200, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>

    >>>If you Ring up HP Support and explain this they can talk you over
    >>>the phone to rezone the printer.

    >>What's the purpose of zoning a printer?

    > To stop you buying ink cheaper overseas, to stop you refilling
    > cartridges, to keep profits maximised.
    >
    > Inkjet ink is the most expensive liquid on earth, you can refuel the
    > space shuttle cheaper on a per litre basis.

    And have some left over for thr barbie

    http://www.doeblitz.net/ghg/
    shannon, Apr 4, 2006
  15. whoisthis

    Geopelia Guest

    I've got HP 1310, bought here in NZ. Paper Plus has the cartridges, among
    other places.

    Would they be the right zone?
    Geopelia, Apr 19, 2006
  16. whoisthis

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <J9h1g.13919$>,
    "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    > I've got HP 1310, bought here in NZ. Paper Plus has the cartridges, among
    > other places.
    >
    > Would they be the right zone?

    yes, the issue I had was a student had one he bought with him from
    Italy, and the cartridges he bought in NZ will not work because we are a
    different "Zone".

    Cartridge zoning is a scam that has been copied from DVDs and console
    games. I wonder how long before the music industry applies it too ?
    whoisthis, Apr 19, 2006
  17. whoisthis

    Geopelia Guest

    "whoisthis" <> wrote in message
    > In article <J9h1g.13919$>,
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've got HP 1310, bought here in NZ. Paper Plus has the cartridges, among
    >> other places.
    >>
    >> Would they be the right zone?

    > yes, the issue I had was a student had one he bought with him from
    > Italy, and the cartridges he bought in NZ will not work because we are a
    > different "Zone".
    >
    > Cartridge zoning is a scam that has been copied from DVDs and console
    > games. I wonder how long before the music industry applies it too ?

    Thank you, I'd hate to have to replace the printer when I have just bought
    it. Great machine, scans, prints, copies and all sorts of things in the
    instruction book and on screen. It would do digital photos too, if we ever
    get a digital camera.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Apr 19, 2006