HP Photosmart Scanner Driver (XP)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by George Wirth, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. George Wirth

    George Wirth Guest

    I'd like to use my original SCSI Photosmart scanner on a new PC
    running Win XP. I downloaded what is supposedly the XP "version" from
    HP labeled "PhotoSmart Scanner (SCSI) and S20/S20xi Photo Scanner
    (USB) Software". http://tinyurl.com/5lz3x

    Has anyone had any success getting an old Photosmart scanner with the
    included SCSI card to run on XP with this software? The page
    describing the installation for XP http://tinyurl.com/4fgyb says an
    updated driver for the Symbios Logic 53C416 PnP SCSI Host Adapter must
    be downloaded from the LSI Logic site, 416w2k.zip. Apparently it's
    not included in the HP package. Unfortunately LSI Logic no longer
    seems to support the card since that file isn't there.

    The whole thing is ridiculous. I hate to trash the scanner since it
    really works well but unless someone can offer any suggestions there
    doesn't seem to much in the way of alternatives. SCSI to USB
    converters seem to be iffy, as do other SCSI cards, and file
    416w2k.zip (which I have my doubts about) isn't available from LSI.

    Thanks.
    George Wirth, Apr 8, 2005

  2. George Wirth

    George Wirth Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:34:10 -0700, B&B Musmon wrote:

    >>The whole thing is ridiculous. I hate to trash the scanner since it
    >>really works well but unless someone can offer any suggestions there
    >>doesn't seem to much in the way of alternatives. SCSI to USBI
    >>converters seem to be iffy, as do other SCSI cards, and file
    >>416w2k.zip (which I have my doubts about) isn't available from LSI.

    >I have the model you have, the orginal Hp Photoscanner with the scsi
    >card, mine actually is so old it came with an ISA card and I upgraded
    >it to a PCI Scsi card when I had to, but I always ran a dual boot
    >because at the time there was no driver for Windows 2000. But that
    >all changed recently when I found the new software, I have only been
    >using it a few months. The new software is great, you can scan all 4
    >negatives at once and some other nice little things that were added,
    >so once you get it to work your really going to love it.
    >
    >I don't remember what scsi card I have, bought it off Ebay for like
    >$10 about 5 or 6 years ago, but I didn't have to do anything special
    >like download drivers or whatever when I installed the new software.
    >If you haven't already, I would atleast try it and see if it might
    >work. Otherwise I just checked Ebay and there are a fist full of
    >cards you can buy for under $10. I am not 100% sure but I think this
    >is the card that I have
    >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39969&item=5183520387&rd=1
    >
    >Let me know how you make out.

    Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, mine has the ISA card too. I'd like
    to get this thing working for my wife in her new PC, a Dell 3000. I
    appreciate the link and I'll give this a try.

    Thanks.

    G.
    George Wirth, Apr 8, 2005

  3. George Wirth