HP Photosmart printers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Budweiser, Jun 8, 2007.

  1. Budweiser

    Budweiser Guest

    Hi folks,
    I have a problem with an HP 7550 photosmart printer that I acquired
    second-hand a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the driver/software disc was not
    available.
    No problem, downloaded from the hp site (driver files only in the
    download).I am using XP Pro on this machine.I followed the on screen to the
    letter.
    After the initial install, it works but with issues.
    On boot the found new hardware wizard pops up and finds a new printer every
    time, I point it to the install files I have on the drive it goes thru the
    motions and then says it cannot find the specified port.
    When trying to print I get an unable to start HPHimp11.exe error which I
    cancel three times, then it prints fine.
    I have googled it to death over the past week or so, checked the port is a
    dot4 etc etc, no I do not use zone alarm, have McAfee allowing all HP stuff
    (tried with AV installed/completely uninstalled and freshly installed)
    I have completely uninstalled all hp software and drivers and reinstalled
    via safe mode and via normal boot and a few variations in-between.
    From what I have read the printer is a pain in the butt, however it was
    cheap and has a supply of cartridges.Has anyone got this installed right?
    The only option I have left is to buy the cd from HP, but even then I do not
    see that helping.
    I have no question marks in device manager, but if I scan for a hardware
    change up pops the found printer wizard again with the above result.
    Its starting to do my head in now, any ideas rather than binning it, which
    is what I am very close to now.

    thanks
    Budweiser

    Budweiser, Jun 8, 2007

  2. Budweiser

    chuckie® Guest

    The only thing I can think of, without seeing your particular set up, is to
    go to HP's website for this specific printer, and check the 'Solve A
    Problem' section. I perused it quickly and there were several mentions of
    'error messages'. I have found, with HP, that if you read several of these,
    your problem is mentioned in them. They tend to be a bit obtuse, but
    generally you can 'dope' out a solution. I have a PhotoSmart 1000, and have
    solved a couple of annoyances this way. I also noticed that the driver
    download indicated that it included 'software', but you said it only
    contained drivers. Is it possible that the download is faulty? I purchased
    a DeskJet 900 series printer a while back and downloaded the driver/software
    package from HP and it did contain 'software' as well as drivers...luck...

    chuckie®, Jun 8, 2007