HP Pavillion notebook.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nrennie, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. nrennie

    nrennie Guest

    A friend of mine recentlty bought an HP Pavillion notebook from Harvey
    Normans in Hamilton. It wasn't untill she got home that she unpacked
    the thing, turned it on and saw a bright green pixel right in the middle
    of the screen.

    She took it back to Harvey Normans with my brother-in-law for company
    (he is a PC guy by trade), who saw that things weren't right and
    contacted HP about it.

    HP came back to them saying that with their screens they have an
    acceptable failure rate of 2%!

    I'm surprised at this. It's like buying a brand new car and finding
    it's got a stone chipped windscreen which the maker refuses to have
    replaced or repaired.

    It's a brand spankers notebook with an ugly bright green dot right in
    the middle.

    What do you guys think? I think if this is HPs policy then people need
    to know that they should power it up in the store and check it out
    before they walk out the door with it.

    Thanks,

    Nick.

    nrennie, Jul 9, 2004

  2. I'm not expert, but I thought that you get different types of broken
    pixels - some are bright and easily noticeable, while others may be more
    difficult to detect.

    The accepted failure rate also takes into account the visibility factor of
    broken pixels - in this case it is highly visible so I would complain based
    on that.

    Jed Meisterdude, Jul 9, 2004

  3. I think ur friend needs a lawyer to handle this.

    Repairing is unacceptable! Who's gonna repair a new screen?

    ccton
    --
    www.vicdir.com
    "nrennie" <> ???? news:cclig2$j72$...

    CryingClinton, Jul 9, 2004
  4. nrennie

    John Guest

    "nrennie" <> wrote in message
    > A friend of mine recentlty bought an HP Pavillion notebook from Harvey
    > Normans in Hamilton. It wasn't untill she got home that she unpacked
    > the thing, turned it on and saw a bright green pixel right in the middle
    > of the screen.
    >
    > She took it back to Harvey Normans with my brother-in-law for company
    > (he is a PC guy by trade), who saw that things weren't right and
    > contacted HP about it.
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Nick.

    I am sure that you can get your money back if you ask, as it is clearly a
    fault that you're not happy with, despite what HP say. The staff at that
    store aren't very good and I ahve found they dont know their products..
    Don't they have a satisfaction guarantee anyway, that you can return it for
    any reason within 14 days.

    John, Jul 9, 2004
  5. nrennie

    nrennie Guest

    Hmmm, I'm not sure. I'll check it out with her.

    Thanks,

    Nick

    nrennie, Jul 10, 2004
  6. nrennie

    Malcolm Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 22:59:03 +1200, "John" <>
    wrote:

    >"nrennie" <> wrote in message
    >> A friend of mine recentlty bought an HP Pavillion notebook from Harvey
    >> Normans in Hamilton. It wasn't untill she got home that she unpacked
    >> the thing, turned it on and saw a bright green pixel right in the middle
    >> of the screen.
    >>
    >> She took it back to Harvey Normans with my brother-in-law for company
    >> (he is a PC guy by trade), who saw that things weren't right and
    >> contacted HP about it.
    >>

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Nick.
    >>

    >I am sure that you can get your money back if you ask, as it is clearly a
    >fault that you're not happy with, despite what HP say. The staff at that
    >store aren't very good and I ahve found they dont know their products..
    > Don't they have a satisfaction guarantee anyway, that you can return it for
    >any reason within 14 days.

    I also purchased an HP Pavilion ze4300 Notebook Computer (although
    under System Properties it claims it is a ze4315) from Noel Leeming,
    Wellington (at the time they were changing the operation to Big Bite,
    who don't give Fly Buy's points), and have been reasonably happy with
    it considering the price.

    One thing I have found, and others may be able to confirm this, is
    that the Microphone input socket appears to be mono only which is a
    real pain as it has no Line Input socket. I used HP's "Email for help"
    from their NZ Website but as one has come to expect from large
    Companies now, I never got any response.

    I naturally thought all Laptops/Notebooks had a stereo input facility
    wheher byway of a Line Input or Microphone Input.

    Malcolm
    Wellington NZ

    Remove the "dot's" to reply

    Malcolm, Jul 17, 2004