    --
    John the West Ham fan

    <><

    housetrained, Sep 25, 2010

  2. housetrained

    Ragnar Guest

    "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    news:4c9df015$0$8835$c3e8da3$...
    > Anyone know how to make a HP Pavilion revert back to when 1st purchased?
    >
    > --
    > John the West Ham fan

    As no one else has answered, I'll have a go but I'm no expert.

    You should get a HP boot-up screen. Follow the prompts on the screen (F10
    key or something like that). If you don't get any prompts then look for a
    Drive called HP_RECOVERY.

    If you can't see such a drive it may be hidden OR it does not exist in which
    case you will not be able to do what you ask. You will need to reformat
    using a Windows installation disk and download the drivers you need from the
    HP website.

    Do you need to be told obvious stuff about backing up important files etc?

    R.

    Ragnar, Sep 25, 2010

  3. "housetrained" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know how to make a HP Pavilion revert back to when 1st purchased?
    >
    > --
    > John the West Ham fan
    >

    > <><

    Press F10 during Boot. It will destroy all that you have now and reinstall
    the OS to factory. You'll want to take your documents and files off to a
    separate drive. You'll also need the software apps that you have loaded so
    you can load them again.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 26, 2010
  4. housetrained

    housetrained Guest

    That's what I thought but pressing and holding F10, F11, F12 - none of them
    worked so I'll try Alex's suggestion. Thanks to both of you.
    housetrained.

    housetrained, Sep 26, 2010
  5. housetrained

    - Bobb - Guest

    That's assuming that the drive IN there is the factory drive.

    If someone before you replaced the disk drive ( for a bigger drive perhaps)
    and just installed XP, then there's no factory apps on it.

    Boot current OS, look at disk structure - is there only one partition ?
    If that meant sentence nothing to you ...
    if you have a My Computer icon on your desktop, then
    Right-click My Computer desktop icon - Manage - Disk mgmt will show disks/
    config like so:

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb457110.f12zs01_big(en-us,TechNet.10).jpg

    See how disk 0 here has the first piece with no drive letter assigned and it
    is a FAT partition - THAT would be the factory area.

    If no desktop icon, then to open Disk Management:
    From the Start menu, click Run.
    In the Open box, type diskmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
    If no factory partition, then go to HP website with your model info.
    If system works you can choose " detect my system" from their website.
    Then click support. You're looking to "buy factory restore CD's"
    or just call them with your model number from Pc tag on back/bottom, any
    info you have.
    Or just install a store bought full version of XP

    - Bobb -, Sep 26, 2010
  6. Bobb makes a good point, if the HDD has been changed, then it's not likely
    that the machine can be reverted to factory specs. Additionally, if the
    drive has been reformatted and the Recovery Partition was taken out, then it
    cannot be returned to factory specifications.

    HP creates (for lack of a better word) a hidden partition that you access by
    pressing F10 during boottime, which invokes reloading the OS onto the main
    partition. If the HDD has been changed or reformatted, the hidden partition
    no longer exists.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 26, 2010
  7. housetrained

    gnu / linux Guest

    On Sep 25, 7:50 am, "housetrained" <> wrote:
    > Anyone know how to make a HP Pavilion revert back to when 1st purchased?
    >
    > --
    > John the West Ham fan
    >

    > <><

    Tell us if its stock & the model number and you will gets lots of good
    advice

    gnu / linux, Sep 28, 2010