    it from claims it is not "hot" but cannot provide the original manual
    or the label with the s/n (very fishy). HP cannot do anything without a
    s/n unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

    madscientist, Aug 29, 2005

  2. madscientist

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 29 Aug 2005 15:28:49 -0700, "madscientist"
    <> wrote:

    >I am working on a laptop for a friend of mine he bought used. It came
    >with a power on password and drivelock password. I went into the BIOS
    >and used the option to reset the password for the admin and also for
    >the drivelock. I entered the old passwords for each and in the new
    >password and confirm password field I just hit the Enter key. Now the
    >power on password won't accept the enter key (blank field) or the old
    >password. I cannot access floppy drive or bios as it comes on as soon
    >as the POST test completes. I have disassembled the laptop and removed
    >the CMOS battery but I have heard the passwords are stored in a
    >security chip on the mobo. Is there any way to reset this password, get
    >ahold of the admin password, or short out the password chip, resetting
    >the security chip? I tried to call HP, but as I looked at the bottom of
    >the laptop, the serial number label is gone. The guy my friend bought
    >it from claims it is not "hot" but cannot provide the original manual
    >or the label with the s/n (very fishy). HP cannot do anything without a
    >s/n unfortunately. Any help would be appreciated.

    Your friend should ask for a refund and return it.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Aug 30, 2005

  3. madscientist

    madscientist Guest

    That was one of my suggestions as well. Unfortunately the guy says it
    is not his fault we tried to mess with the power on password. He also
    claims he never removed the s/n label. Since he was the second owner of
    the laptop(the original was a rich college kid from what he tells us),
    he claims he got the laptop in the same physical condition he sold it
    to my friend in. Thus he says he never removed the label and will not
    take it back on those grounds.

    madscientist, Aug 30, 2005