    No error messages, no blinking lights. Checked print queue, looks normal, printer is physically USBd to PC, all of that.

    Happened after replacing my HP DVD lightscribe burner/CD Rom drive on Saturday.

    , Oct 14, 2013

  2. Paul Guest

    Re: HP Pavilion Windows Vista SP2 All of a sudden not printing toDeskJet F4180 All In One

    wrote:
    > No error messages, no blinking lights. Checked print queue, looks normal, printer is
    > physically USBd to PC, all of that.
    >
    > Happened after replacing my HP DVD lightscribe burner/CD Rom drive on Saturday.

    If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,
    is there anything in the spooler queue ?

    You can use a Restore Point to return the machine to
    a previous state, but there's no point in doing
    that unless the original burner is going back as well.
    You would put the burner back on exactly the same port
    as before. Once the printer is working again, you
    leave the old burner in place, and add the new burner
    as well (so there are two or more burners). That way,
    the idea would be, leave the thing in place, that
    seems to have upset the system so much.

    HP software packages are huge, and I haven't a clue where
    you start debugging them.

    There's absolutely no reason for the storage software stack
    driving the burner, to interact with the printing software stack.
    They're entirely separate.

    That suggests your problem is a coincidence, and there
    is something you did which you did not include in your post.

    The only other thing that comes to mind,
    is you just happened to use a "registry cleaner" recently,
    and have ruined your printer driver setup. That *does* happen
    with the HP software. I have read of an HP registry entry,
    that some registry cleaners remove by mistake. Both HP
    and the registry cleaner maker, take some blame for this.
    If you use no registry cleaner, no problem is seen.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 15, 2013

  3. Guest

    __________________

    "If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,
    is there anything in the spooler queue ?"

    Where do I go to check the above?

    BTW yesterday I did remove and reinstall all drivers related to the DeskjetF4180. It worked yesterday but as I am typing is now hanging up again. No errors, no "spooler" error notifactions, nothing!

    And while HP's agent on the phone yesterday told me that HP no longer supports this model printer, the drivers for it still exist on their website.

    Another issue - Windows keeps searching for and informing me that the drivers need to be installe for my device to work properly. There again is the classic "Windows VS peripheral" driver conflict.

    I need to print job resumes and don't want to have to go the library to do so, and the bare facts are - my All-In-One works - all features of it. It just isn't printing. I can't afford right now to buy another printer for anissue that just started happening one day ago.

    , Oct 15, 2013
  4. Guest

    On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 10:33:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
    > On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:54:30 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:

    > > > No error messages, no blinking lights. Checked print queue, looks normal, printer is

    > > > physically USBd to PC, all of that.

    > > > Happened after replacing my HP DVD lightscribe burner/CD Rom drive onSaturday.

    > > If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,

    > > is there anything in the spooler queue ?

    > > You can use a Restore Point to return the machine to

    > > a previous state, but there's no point in doing

    > > that unless the original burner is going back as well.

    > > You would put the burner back on exactly the same port

    > > as before. Once the printer is working again, you

    > > leave the old burner in place, and add the new burner

    > > as well (so there are two or more burners). That way,

    > > the idea would be, leave the thing in place, that

    > > seems to have upset the system so much.

    > > HP software packages are huge, and I haven't a clue where

    > > you start debugging them.

    > > There's absolutely no reason for the storage software stack

    > > driving the burner, to interact with the printing software stack.

    > > They're entirely separate.

    > > That suggests your problem is a coincidence, and there

    > > is something you did which you did not include in your post.

    > > The only other thing that comes to mind,

    > > is you just happened to use a "registry cleaner" recently,

    > > and have ruined your printer driver setup. That *does* happen

    > > with the HP software. I have read of an HP registry entry,

    > > that some registry cleaners remove by mistake. Both HP

    > > and the registry cleaner maker, take some blame for this.

    > > If you use no registry cleaner, no problem is seen.

    > > Paul

    > __________________
    >

    > "If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,
    >
    > is there anything in the spooler queue ?"
    >

    > Where do I go to check the above?
    >

    > BTW yesterday I did remove and reinstall all drivers related to the Deskjet F4180. It worked yesterday but as I am typing is now hanging up again. No errors, no "spooler" error notifactions, nothing!
    >

    > And while HP's agent on the phone yesterday told me that HP no longer supports this model printer, the drivers for it still exist on their website.
    >

    > Another issue - Windows keeps searching for and informing me that the drivers need to be installe for my device to work properly. There again is the classic "Windows VS peripheral" driver conflict.
    >

    > I need to print job resumes and don't want to have to go the library to do so, and the bare facts are - my All-In-One works - all features of it. Itjust isn't printing. I can't afford right now to buy another printer for an issue that just started happening one day ago.

    ADDENDUM Paul:

    In MS Word 2010, under the print dialogue, it clearly says under HP Deskjet4100 Series, "Offline: 1 document waiting"

    HOW can it be off line?! It's connected to the computer, it's turned on, both Windows Vista and HP's software can see it. ???

    , Oct 15, 2013
  5. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:54:30 AM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> No error messages, no blinking lights. Checked print queue, looks normal, printer is
    >>> physically USBd to PC, all of that.
    >>> Happened after replacing my HP DVD lightscribe burner/CD Rom drive on Saturday.

    >> If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,
    >>
    >> is there anything in the spooler queue ?
    >>

    >> You can use a Restore Point to return the machine to
    >>
    >> a previous state, but there's no point in doing
    >>
    >> that unless the original burner is going back as well.
    >>
    >> You would put the burner back on exactly the same port
    >>
    >> as before. Once the printer is working again, you
    >>
    >> leave the old burner in place, and add the new burner
    >>
    >> as well (so there are two or more burners). That way,
    >>
    >> the idea would be, leave the thing in place, that
    >>
    >> seems to have upset the system so much.
    >>

    >> HP software packages are huge, and I haven't a clue where
    >>
    >> you start debugging them.
    >>

    >> There's absolutely no reason for the storage software stack
    >>
    >> driving the burner, to interact with the printing software stack.
    >>
    >> They're entirely separate.
    >>

    >> That suggests your problem is a coincidence, and there
    >>
    >> is something you did which you did not include in your post.
    >>

    >> The only other thing that comes to mind,
    >>
    >> is you just happened to use a "registry cleaner" recently,
    >>
    >> and have ruined your printer driver setup. That *does* happen
    >>
    >> with the HP software. I have read of an HP registry entry,
    >>
    >> that some registry cleaners remove by mistake. Both HP
    >>
    >> and the registry cleaner maker, take some blame for this.
    >>
    >> If you use no registry cleaner, no problem is seen.
    >>

    >> Paul

    > __________________
    >
    > "If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,
    > is there anything in the spooler queue ?"
    >
    > Where do I go to check the above?
    >
    > BTW yesterday I did remove and reinstall all drivers related to the Deskjet F4180. It worked yesterday but as I am typing is now hanging up again. No errors, no "spooler" error notifactions, nothing!
    >
    > And while HP's agent on the phone yesterday told me that HP no longer supports this model printer, the drivers for it still exist on their website.
    >

    > Another issue - Windows keeps searching for and informing me that the drivers need to be installe for my device to work properly. There again is the classic "Windows VS peripheral" driver conflict.
    >

    > I need to print job resumes and don't want to have to go the library to do so, and the bare facts are - my All-In-One works - all features of it. It just isn't printing. I can't afford right now to buy another printer for an issue that just started happening one day ago.

    Check your printer control panel. Try "Printers" : "See what's printing" to
    see the spool queue. Do "Properties" to review the settings, if available
    (i.e. not broken).

    http://imageshack.us/a/img189/8823/j5o.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 15, 2013
  6. Guest

    On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:11:48 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
    wrote:

    > >> If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,

    > >> is there anything in the spooler queue ?

    > >> You can use a Restore Point to return the machine to

    > >> a previous state, but there's no point in doing

    > >> that unless the original burner is going back as well.

    > >> You would put the burner back on exactly the same port

    > >> as before. Once the printer is working again, you

    > >> leave the old burner in place, and add the new burner

    > >> as well (so there are two or more burners). That way,

    > >> the idea would be, leave the thing in place, that

    > >> seems to have upset the system so much.

    > >> HP software packages are huge, and I haven't a clue where

    > >> you start debugging them.

    > >> There's absolutely no reason for the storage software stack

    > >> driving the burner, to interact with the printing software stack.

    > >> They're entirely separate.

    > >> That suggests your problem is a coincidence, and there

    > >> is something you did which you did not include in your post.

    > >> The only other thing that comes to mind,

    > >> is you just happened to use a "registry cleaner" recently,

    > >> and have ruined your printer driver setup. That *does* happen

    > >> with the HP software. I have read of an HP registry entry,

    > >> that some registry cleaners remove by mistake. Both HP

    > >> and the registry cleaner maker, take some blame for this.

    > >> If you use no registry cleaner, no problem is seen.

    > >> Paul

    > > __________________

    > > "If you go to Printers control panel and check Status,

    > > is there anything in the spooler queue ?"

    > > Where do I go to check the above?

    > > BTW yesterday I did remove and reinstall all drivers related to the Deskjet F4180. It worked yesterday but as I am typing is now hanging up again.. No errors, no "spooler" error notifactions, nothing!

    > > And while HP's agent on the phone yesterday told me that HP no longer supports this model printer, the drivers for it still exist on their website..

    > > Another issue - Windows keeps searching for and informing me that the drivers need to be installe for my device to work properly. There again is the classic "Windows VS peripheral" driver conflict.

    > > I need to print job resumes and don't want to have to go the library todo so, and the bare facts are - my All-In-One works - all features of it. It just isn't printing. I can't afford right now to buy another printer for an issue that just started happening one day ago.

    > Check your printer control panel. Try "Printers" : "See what's printing" to
    >
    > see the spool queue. Do "Properties" to review the settings, if available
    >
    > (i.e. not broken).
    >

    > http://imageshack.us/a/img189/8823/j5o.gif
    >

    > Paul

    Thanks, it's cleared itself up. I don't know how! The problem is Windows has to perform its own version of the same install HP does, and if both steps are not completed, then to the PC and/or any program printing to it, the printer(both the icon and the physical machine) may as well not exist.

    I experience this hickup every 6-12 months - though I cannot recount anything I might have done to provoke it.

    , Oct 16, 2013