    sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
    conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
    wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 9, 2010

  2. Jeff Strickland

    JD Guest

    On 09/08/2010 12:19 AM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > My kid, bless her, bought a Slimline and she thought it had a PCI slot on
    > the motherboard so she could install a wireless adaptor. The slot isn't PCI,
    > but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a new spec, PCI Express or similar?
    >
    > The slot is labeled PCIE16X, and my PCI cards do not fit. the card I have
    > has an edge connector that is divided into three sections, but the slot on
    > the motherboard is divided into two sections, and the smallest section is
    > smaller than the smallest section on the board.
    >
    > The Slimline takes a card that's different than what I have, but I'm not
    > sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
    > conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
    > wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

    Sounds like a PCI-E to me, you can buy a cheap PCI-E Express (1x) card
    (the small one) and put it into a PCI-E 16x Slot (the larger Slot)

    here's a digram of the Slots:
    http://hothardware.com/News/NextGeneration-Intel-Chipsets-May-Drop-PCI-Bus-/

    here's the wiki link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

    As quoted from wiki page:
    "A PCIe card will fit into a slot of its physical size or larger, but
    may not fit into a smaller PCIe slot. Some slots use open-ended sockets
    to permit physically longer cards and will negotiate the best available
    electrical connection. The number of lanes actually connected to a slot
    may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size. An
    example is a x8 slot that actually only runs at ×1; these slots will
    allow any ×1, ×2, ×4 or ×8 card to be used, though only running at ×1
    speed. This type of socket is described as a ×8 (×1 mode) slot, meaning
    it physically accepts up to ×8 cards but only runs at ×1 speed. The
    advantage gained is that a larger range of PCIe cards can still be used
    without requiring the motherboard hardware to support the full transfer
    rate, which keeps design and implementation costs down."

    JD

    JD, Aug 9, 2010

  3. Jeff Strickland

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > My kid, bless her, bought a Slimline and she thought it had a PCI slot on
    > the motherboard so she could install a wireless adaptor. The slot isn't
    > PCI, but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a new spec, PCI Express or
    > similar?
    >
    > The slot is labeled PCIE16X, and my PCI cards do not fit. the card I have
    > has an edge connector that is divided into three sections, but the slot on
    > the motherboard is divided into two sections, and the smallest section is
    > smaller than the smallest section on the board.
    >
    > The Slimline takes a card that's different than what I have, but I'm not
    > sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
    > conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
    > wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

    That PCIe-X16 slot is Video

    For wireless , look here - see INSTALLING cards
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4191653&lang=en

    Watch the "video overview" there

    PCI Express x16 is a video standard - like AGP
    http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00877796.pdf
    page 27 of 30

    You can go HERE
    http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx
    and have it probe your model for parts info

    - Bobb -, Aug 9, 2010
  4. "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    > My kid, bless her, bought a Slimline and she thought it had a PCI slot on
    > the motherboard so she could install a wireless adaptor. The slot isn't
    > PCI, but I'm not sure what it is. Is there a new spec, PCI Express or
    > similar?
    >
    > The slot is labeled PCIE16X, and my PCI cards do not fit. the card I have
    > has an edge connector that is divided into three sections, but the slot on
    > the motherboard is divided into two sections, and the smallest section is
    > smaller than the smallest section on the board.
    >
    > The Slimline takes a card that's different than what I have, but I'm not
    > sure what it wants me to plug in. I've run into a PCI spec that doesn't
    > conform to what I know, and I don't know what to do from here. I need a
    > wireless adaptor, and maybe I have to go with a USB solution.

    It's looking like I will have to buy a USB-based wireless adaptor. Damn it!
    I have an N-spec adaptor that I can give my daughter, but I have to buy the
    USB device. Well, Fry's is on my way, sorta, to someplace I have to go ...

    Jeff Strickland, Aug 9, 2010