    128RAM, 20GB HD. The operating system was Windows 98. I don't have any
    recovery cds for it or anything. If I buy a new HD to replace the old one
    how do I install Windows 98 again?
    M a J, Feb 22, 2006

  2. M a J

    Plato Guest

    Got a win98 CD?

    Plato, Feb 23, 2006

  3. M a J

    M a J Guest

    No.
    M a J, Feb 23, 2006
  4. M a J

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    M a J wrote:
    > Hello,
    > A guy that works for me gave me a computer that his tennets left behind. I
    > built a mame arcade and needed a computer for the project. I turned it on
    > last night and it worked perfect, I went to turn it back on this morning and
    > now all it says is "No Operating System". As you can tell I don't know
    > anything about computers. I do know the computer is a HP Pavilion 8660C,
    > 128RAM, 20GB HD. The operating system was Windows 98. I don't have any
    > recovery cds for it or anything. If I buy a new HD to replace the old one
    > how do I install Windows 98 again?

    My best guess would be that it is failing to recognize the hard drive.

    From memory you need to press F1 during the boot process to access the
    BIOS. While in there check to see whether a hard drive is shown, and
    post back.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 23, 2006
  5. M a J

    M a J Guest

    I did that and it says "none" for primary and "none" for slave. So I guess
    that means the Hard Drive is shot?
    M a J, Feb 23, 2006
  6. M a J

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    M a J wrote:
    > I did that and it says "none" for primary and "none" for slave. So I guess
    > that means the Hard Drive is shot?

    Not necessarily, it could be that your CMOS battery has failed, or the
    connectors have come unplugged.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 23, 2006
  7. M a J

    M a J Guest

    How do i check the cmos battery? What is the cmos battery?
    M a J, Feb 23, 2006
  8. M a J

    Pacman Guest

    Did you leave a floppy disk in the drive? if so take it out and turn it on
    and see if it will boot.

    One they call Pacman
    Quincy, IL

    Pacman, Feb 23, 2006
  9. M a J

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    M a J wrote:
    > How do i check the cmos battery? What is the cmos battery?

    It is a small battery used to retain the BIOS settings while the
    computer is switched off. Generally it looks a little like a
    calculator or watch battery, only larger. Old motherboards may have
    had the battery soldered onto the motherboard, but that hasn't been
    common for quite a few years.

    As a quick check, see if you can set your BIOS to auto-detect the drives
    - if it detects them and starts up OK run the computer for a short
    while, then switch off for a half hour or so and restart. If the
    battery is dead, you will probably have to repeat the process.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 23, 2006
  10. M a J

    M a J Guest

    The setting is already set to Auto-detect, I can't seem to change it from
    that. I guess I can pull that battery out and take it to Radio Shack or
    something.
    M a J, Feb 24, 2006
  11. M a J

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    M a J wrote:
    > The setting is already set to Auto-detect, I can't seem to change it from
    > that. I guess I can pull that battery out and take it to Radio Shack or
    > something.

    If it is set to auto detect, then double check all the cables to the
    hard drive are fitted properly. Even with a flat battery the bios
    should still have detected the hard drive, so unfortunately if all the
    cables are OK, then the drive may be toast.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 24, 2006
  12. M a J

    M a J Guest

    Ok, I checked the cables and they are all nice and tight. I tried to hit
    the HD but nothing came of that. So where do I go from here? How would I
    install another O/S with-out having to buy a CD with one on it?
    M a J, Feb 24, 2006
  13. M a J

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    M a J wrote:
    > Ok, I checked the cables and they are all nice and tight. I tried to hit
    > the HD but nothing came of that. So where do I go from here? How would I
    > install another O/S with-out having to buy a CD with one on it?

    Bad luck, so it does unfortunately look like the drive has shat itself.
    Where you go from here depends on whether you think it worthwhile to
    buy a new drive.

    If you go with another hard drive yes, it will be necessary to buy your
    operating system, or use Linux. I couldn't possibly tell you that a
    borrowed copy of Windows 9x will install perfectly without any
    activation problems, or that XP Pro corporate edition copies are
    circulating. For me to suggest either of those options would be to
    encourage piracy.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Feb 25, 2006
  14. M a J

    IT_Seal

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    3
    honestly, lol.. 128mb of ram, and 20 gig hdd..

    it really isnt worth all this trouble.. get a new hdd for like.. 100 or less. and get a gig of ram for like 40.. brand new computer right there..
    IT_Seal, May 28, 2008