    did that happen? Now I have to call HP for the discs(they're
    relatively cheap) but I just don't get it.

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 22, 2011

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > Last weekend my Pavilion - Vista SP1 32 Bit - suffered blunt trauma
    > injury - do not ask, but the harddrive failed. Went to Bestbuy to
    > have them recover data - couldn't. Brought in the recovery DVDs(3)
    > that I burned upon removing the PC from the box in 2008. At that time
    > I followed ALL PROMPTs regarding buring either a dozen CDs or up to 3
    > DVDs as recovery vehicles. Disc 1 was finished, it prompted me for
    > Disc 2, I put that in, and so on.
    >
    > Turns out the DVDs are empty. There's NOTHING on them. How the F%$
    > did that happen? Now I have to call HP for the discs(they're
    > relatively cheap) but I just don't get it.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    This is one of the problems I have with recovery media. The
    insistence you can burn only one copy, from the recovery partition.
    It's a stupid limitation. It doesn't allow for the possibility
    that the optical burner hasn't been tuned up yet (i.e. latest
    firmware installed).

    When I burned the recovery media for my laptop, I "imaged" the
    DVDs immediately and stored the images on a separate hard drive.
    If the crappy media I used, fails later (so-called "bit rot"), then
    I burn new DVDs, using the backup copy of the disc I made after
    burning it.

    Now, that being said, I neglected to check the media, to see
    if there was anything on it :) So I could well have backed
    up a "giant source of zeros" and wouldn't have noticed.

    It is too bad, the recovery set burning process, doesn't carefully
    verify the burn and make sure all is well. If it did, you could
    then back up those optical discs, confident that if the discs
    go missing, you'll have them stored on a hard drive (somewhere).

    There are tools for doing data recovery on optical media,
    but I don't really want to go down that path :) It might
    look like there is nothing there, but it might be that
    virtually everything is there, and a single bit is missing.
    Or, the session wasn't finalized or something.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 23, 2011

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jun 22, 11:42 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > Now, that being said, I neglected to check the media, to see
    > if there was anything on it :) So I could well have backed
    > up a "giant source of zeros" and wouldn't have noticed.
    >
    > It is too bad, the recovery set burning process, doesn't carefully
    > verify the burn and make sure all is well. If it did, you could
    > then back up those optical discs, confident that if the discs
    > go missing, you'll have them stored on a hard drive (somewhere).
    >
    > There are tools for doing data recovery on optical media,
    > but I don't really want to go down that path :) It might
    > look like there is nothing there, but it might be that
    > virtually everything is there, and a single bit is missing.
    > Or, the session wasn't finalized or something.
    >
    >     Paul

    __________________________________

    Thanks Paul, very informative. Now my next question is - where would
    the recovery utility reside should I decide to create the disks at a
    *later* date - read - several months after the PC has been purchased,
    but still no serious problems?

    And secondly, I just purchased a Toshiba 500GB USB drive - can I store
    the recovery to that - or must I still use DVDs/CDs?

    Thanks, you've already given me a UCONN MIS degree's worth of info so
    far in just a few paragraphs. :)

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Jun 27, 2011
  4. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > On Jun 22, 11:42 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >> Now, that being said, I neglected to check the media, to see
    >> if there was anything on it :) So I could well have backed
    >> up a "giant source of zeros" and wouldn't have noticed.
    >>
    >> It is too bad, the recovery set burning process, doesn't carefully
    >> verify the burn and make sure all is well. If it did, you could
    >> then back up those optical discs, confident that if the discs
    >> go missing, you'll have them stored on a hard drive (somewhere).
    >>
    >> There are tools for doing data recovery on optical media,
    >> but I don't really want to go down that path :) It might
    >> look like there is nothing there, but it might be that
    >> virtually everything is there, and a single bit is missing.
    >> Or, the session wasn't finalized or something.
    >>
    >> Paul

    > __________________________________
    >
    > Thanks Paul, very informative. Now my next question is - where would
    > the recovery utility reside should I decide to create the disks at a
    > *later* date - read - several months after the PC has been purchased,
    > but still no serious problems?
    >
    > And secondly, I just purchased a Toshiba 500GB USB drive - can I store
    > the recovery to that - or must I still use DVDs/CDs?
    >
    > Thanks, you've already given me a UCONN MIS degree's worth of info so
    > far in just a few paragraphs. :)
    >
    > -CC

    I only have experience with the process on an Acer laptop
    I was given.

    When a machine comes new, there might be three
    partitions on the hard drive. One partition is C:, which is
    what the user can use immediately.

    When using such a computer, a popup dialog may appear soon
    afterwards, suggesting the user burn "recovery media". One of the
    three partitions, contains that information. It might not be an ISO
    file as such. Just loose files, compressed, which can be converted
    into an image to be burned.

    The Recovery media burner is supposed to pester you, until you
    make your one copy. Such a scheme reduces the work for the manufacturer
    when they get product returns, as the user can't "hijack" the discs,
    and the hard drive can be "resealed" before the next user is shipped
    the same product.

    On a Vista or Windows 7 machine, the recovery media burner will
    burn three DVDs or so. That's how many my laptop needed. Three
    single layer DVDs. Or about 15GB of data. I think a fourth disc was
    used for driver files (but why exactly, wasn't clear to me, as
    they should already be installed in the other three discs).

    On some earlier OSes, it might be a single CD of some sort.
    Vista and Windows 7 are huge.

    *******

    Now, say the fateful days comes along, the hard drive fails.
    The average user, ignored the dialog box offering to burn
    recovery media, and just used and enjoyed the computer.

    In that case, you contact the manufacturer and get their
    pre-burned recovery media. The charge for it, can range up
    to around $50 or so.

    If you plug in a recovery DVD, it is going to

    1) Potentially wipe the drive. This is fine if the drive is
    brand new and empty, but not so fine if the drive has
    email and user files on it. Before using the recovery process,
    you back up the user files somewhere. Some manufacturers offer
    options for this, so that data recovery is included in the process.
    But worst case, the recovery process is "nuclear" and erases
    everything on the primary drive. On my laptop, I remove the
    2.5" SATA drive from the bay, lay it next to my desktop machine,
    run over a SATA power and data cable, and then I can do work on
    the disc (I did that for a backup, but the procedure can also
    be used for maintenance, like saving the email files). That's
    the nice thing about laptops with SATA drives, the cables in
    your desktop are ready to use with the laptop drive.

    2) The recovery media may choose to re-install the recovery partition.
    This is in case the recovery discs again go missing (or are destroyed),
    the hard drive is working, and the user seeks to "level and reload".
    You can boot the computer from the recovery partition, and it will
    offer to do much the same as in (1).

    So really, it's a lot of variations on the theme of returning the
    disk to its "factory state", clean.

    *******

    On my Acer, I was offered one other option. I'd burned my three
    recovery DVDs (15GB) and driver disc, but then a *Microsoft* dialog
    popped up. It wanted me to prepare a "Repair CD". That is a CD, that
    when booted, can automatically repair the boot partition on the hard
    drive. This is for accidents, where the computer will no longer
    boot. That CD also has a Command Prompt option, which allows DOS-like
    commands to be issues. If you needed to back up some registry files,
    or move in an empty set of registry files, you could do that via
    the Repair CD. The Repair CD is around 200MB, and is a bare boot
    disc. It will not re-install the 15GB of data.

    The Vista or Windows 7 Repair CD, can also work on a WinXP partition,
    but only the Command Prompt works then. I've tested that once.

    So I burned a total of five disks, over a two day period.

    (3) single layer DVD, 15GB total roughly, Windows 7 image for C:
    (1) single layer DVD (driver files, may be useful if reinstalling
    using a retail Windows disc, otherwise useless).
    (1) Microsoft Repair CD, for command prompt work.

    If I lost my recovery DVDs, or they got bit rot, and I had to contact
    Acer, they'd probably send the first three. If I used those, that would
    be sufficient to return the hard drive to "factory state", complete with
    a recovery partition that could be used to reload C:, even without
    the recovery media (either prepared or bought).

    *******

    In some cases, the recovery partition is in a well known format.
    In one case, it was related to Ghost. That would make it pretty
    easy to examine what is stored in there.

    But in other cases, manufacturers have resorted to the most arcane
    schemes imaginable. One company, uses MBR switching, and a partition
    hidden with an HPA or Host Protected Area. Only their own BIOS,
    knows how to switch that in and out, and if the MBR or alternate
    are damaged, you could be in a mess.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

    To the unaided eye, the HPA disk drive looks "smaller than normal". The
    end of the disk has been moved down. This leaves a hidden area,
    where normal utilities can't get at it.

    To compound matters, many motherboards (like my Asus motherboards),
    if I were to slave up an HPA-protected disk to the computer, the
    BIOS locks it and prevents OS level modification to the HPA. That's
    done, to prevent malware from making its own HPA. So you can't necessarily
    unlock the hidden area, with just any computer.

    The end result is, it can be very difficult, and top-level rocket
    scientist work, to get at the data in there.

    So some recovery partitions, are dead easy to examine. Others,
    not so much. In the case of the company doing the MBR switching
    and HPA, that was a smaller firm selling computers. And they
    changed the recipe with each generation of hardware they made.
    Needless to say, a user would be well advised to ask questions
    about the product and its recovery capabilities, when such
    stupid setups are being used. You'd think twice before
    buying into something that tough to work on. It's just possible,
    your local computer store wouldn't want to work on it.
    (There are a couple command line utilities for working on HPAs,
    and I'm not aware of any tools with an actual GUI. So it's
    pretty 1980's style stuff. It means, while you're working
    on the disk, you have no browser to do searches on the
    Internet.)

    Some computer brands, have great third party web pages to
    support them. This is an example. HP has their user to user
    forum, but I don't know if it goes into this much detail.

    http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 27, 2011
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jun 27, 2:10 pm, Paul <> wrote:

    > Some computer brands, have great third party web pages to
    > support them. This is an example. HP has their user to user
    > forum, but I don't know if it goes into this much detail.
    >
    > http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/
    >
    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________________
    *** B R E A K I N G N E W S ***

    Paul, et al!!

    I just in the past half hour wrapped up creating a set of recovery
    DVDs for this damn Pavilion 6300F. I examined them in DIRECT SUNLIGHT
    and there is definitely something written on all three DVDs. Three
    and a half weeks after recovering my OS with HP DVDs and reinstalling
    a schlep-load of apps, earlier this morning Recovery Manager mozies
    across my screen and asks if I want to create a set of recovery
    discs. And so I did. And the procedure took about 3 hours.

    I don't like dredging up old topics but I need to confess something
    before putting this to bed, finally: Back in spring 2008, when I
    unboxed and set up this PC and created the recovery DVDs, somewhere,
    somehow, though I will never likely recall . . . . I

    FUCKED

    UP.

    The directions to follow when creating recovery CDs or DVDs are so
    clear even my cat could understand them, but nonetheless, I repeat at
    the risk of being crude . . . I

    FUCKED

    UP.

    (somehow!)

    And the reason I believe I did is because I successfully created audio
    CDs on this computer - although some CD players could not play past
    the 12th track or so out of 20 on the disc - I did create usable CDs
    on this burner.

    So in closing I thank you all for your patience in trying to determine
    just WHAT THE F$#(&#K happened, and now I possess actual recovery DVDs
    with actual DATA on them.

    -Chris(who sometimes amazes even himself!)Coaster LOL....

    ChrisCoaster, Jul 16, 2011
  6. ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    > On Jun 27, 2:10 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    >

    >> Some computer brands, have great third party web pages to
    >> support them. This is an example. HP has their user to user
    >> forum, but I don't know if it goes into this much detail.
    >>
    >> http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/
    >>
    >>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > ____________________________
    > *** B R E A K I N G N E W S ***
    >
    > Paul, et al!!
    >
    > I just in the past half hour wrapped up creating a set of recovery
    > DVDs for this damn Pavilion 6300F. I examined them in DIRECT SUNLIGHT
    > and there is definitely something written on all three DVDs. Three
    > and a half weeks after recovering my OS with HP DVDs and reinstalling
    > a schlep-load of apps, earlier this morning Recovery Manager mozies
    > across my screen and asks if I want to create a set of recovery
    > discs. And so I did. And the procedure took about 3 hours.
    >
    > I don't like dredging up old topics but I need to confess something
    > before putting this to bed, finally: Back in spring 2008, when I
    > unboxed and set up this PC and created the recovery DVDs, somewhere,
    > somehow, though I will never likely recall . . . . I
    >
    > FUCKED
    >
    > UP.
    >
    > The directions to follow when creating recovery CDs or DVDs are so
    > clear even my cat could understand them, but nonetheless, I repeat at
    > the risk of being crude . . . I
    >
    > FUCKED
    >
    > UP.
    >
    > (somehow!)
    >
    > And the reason I believe I did is because I successfully created audio
    > CDs on this computer - although some CD players could not play past
    > the 12th track or so out of 20 on the disc - I did create usable CDs
    > on this burner.
    >
    > So in closing I thank you all for your patience in trying to determine
    > just WHAT THE F$#(&#K happened, and now I possess actual recovery DVDs
    > with actual DATA on them.
    >
    > -Chris(who sometimes amazes even himself!)Coaster LOL....

    Glad you got a good set to work with Chris. Hope everything else works
    out OK.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Jul 17, 2011
  7. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 17, 1:34 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    >

    > > On Jun 27, 2:10 pm, Paul <> wrote:

    > >> Some computer brands, have great third party web pages to
    > >> support them. This is an example. HP has their user to user
    > >> forum, but I don't know if it goes into this much detail.

    > >>http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

    > >>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > > ____________________________
    > > *** B R E A K I N G    N E W S ***

    > > Paul, et al!!

    > > I just in the past half hour wrapped up creating a set of recovery
    > > DVDs for this damn Pavilion 6300F.  I examined them in DIRECT SUNLIGHT
    > > and there is definitely something written on all three DVDs.  Three
    > > and a half weeks after recovering my OS with HP DVDs and reinstalling
    > > a schlep-load of apps, earlier this morning Recovery Manager mozies
    > > across my screen and asks if I want to create a set of recovery
    > > discs.  And so I did.  And the procedure took about 3 hours.

    > > I don't like dredging up old topics but I need to confess something
    > > before putting this to bed, finally:  Back in spring 2008, when I
    > > unboxed and set up this PC and created the recovery DVDs, somewhere,
    > > somehow, though I will never likely recall . . . .  I

    > > FUCKED

    > > UP.

    > > The directions to follow when creating recovery CDs or DVDs are so
    > > clear even my cat could understand them, but nonetheless, I repeat at
    > > the risk of being crude . . . I

    > > FUCKED

    > > UP.

    > > (somehow!)

    > > And the reason I believe I did is because I successfully created audio
    > > CDs on this computer - although some CD players could not play past
    > > the 12th track or so out of 20 on the disc - I did create usable CDs
    > > on this burner.

    > > So in closing I thank you all for your patience in trying to determine
    > > just WHAT THE F$#(&#K happened, and now I possess actual recovery DVDs
    > > with actual DATA on them.

    > > -Chris(who sometimes amazes even himself!)Coaster  LOL....

    > Glad you got a good set to work with Chris.  Hope everything else works
    > out OK.
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    > troublesome."
    > - Isaac Asimov- Hide quoted text -

    _____________________________
    **LATE BREAKING** JUst started happening.

    Printer will not print from certain webpages. Acc to Windows Vista,
    the "Spooler" keeps shutting down. I need to reinstall this "spooler"
    thingie to get printing again.

    Help!

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Aug 16, 2011
  8. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Jul 17, 1:34 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    >

    > > On Jun 27, 2:10 pm, Paul <> wrote:

    > >> Some computer brands, have great third party web pages to
    > >> support them. This is an example. HP has their user to user
    > >> forum, but I don't know if it goes into this much detail.

    > >>http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

    > >>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > > ____________________________
    > > *** B R E A K I N G    N E W S ***

    > > Paul, et al!!

    > > I just in the past half hour wrapped up creating a set of recovery
    > > DVDs for this damn Pavilion 6300F.  I examined them in DIRECT SUNLIGHT
    > > and there is definitely something written on all three DVDs.  Three
    > > and a half weeks after recovering my OS with HP DVDs and reinstalling
    > > a schlep-load of apps, earlier this morning Recovery Manager mozies
    > > across my screen and asks if I want to create a set of recovery
    > > discs.  And so I did.  And the procedure took about 3 hours.

    > > I don't like dredging up old topics but I need to confess something
    > > before putting this to bed, finally:  Back in spring 2008, when I
    > > unboxed and set up this PC and created the recovery DVDs, somewhere,
    > > somehow, though I will never likely recall . . . .  I

    > > FUCKED

    > > UP.

    > > The directions to follow when creating recovery CDs or DVDs are so
    > > clear even my cat could understand them, but nonetheless, I repeat at
    > > the risk of being crude . . . I

    > > FUCKED

    > > UP.

    > > (somehow!)

    > > And the reason I believe I did is because I successfully created audio
    > > CDs on this computer - although some CD players could not play past
    > > the 12th track or so out of 20 on the disc - I did create usable CDs
    > > on this burner.

    > > So in closing I thank you all for your patience in trying to determine
    > > just WHAT THE F$#(&#K happened, and now I possess actual recovery DVDs
    > > with actual DATA on them.

    > > -Chris(who sometimes amazes even himself!)Coaster  LOL....

    > Glad you got a good set to work with Chris.  Hope everything else works
    > out OK.
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    > troublesome."
    > - Isaac Asimov- Hide quoted text -

    ________________________
    In addition it keeps saying there is a problem with MS Word! What
    does word have to do with my printing out map directions from Bing??

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Aug 16, 2011
  9. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 16, 11:15 am, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    > On Jul 17, 1:34 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >

    > > ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :

    > > > ____________________________
    > > > *** B R E A K I N G    N E W S ***

    > > > Paul, et al!!

    > > > I just in the past half hour wrapped up creating a set of recovery
    > > > DVDs for this damn Pavilion 6300F.  I examined them in DIRECT SUNLIGHT
    > > > and there is definitely something written on all three DVDs.  Three
    > > > and a half weeks after recovering my OS with HP DVDs and reinstalling
    > > > a schlep-load of apps, earlier this morning Recovery Manager mozies
    > > > across my screen and asks if I want to create a set of recovery
    > > > discs.  And so I did.  And the procedure took about 3 hours.

    > > > I don't like dredging up old topics but I need to confess something
    > > > before putting this to bed, finally:  Back in spring 2008, when I
    > > > unboxed and set up this PC and created the recovery DVDs, somewhere,
    > > > somehow, though I will never likely recall . . . .  I

    > > > FUCKED

    > > > UP.

    > > > The directions to follow when creating recovery CDs or DVDs are so
    > > > clear even my cat could understand them, but nonetheless, I repeat at
    > > > the risk of being crude . . . I

    > > > FUCKED

    > > > UP.

    > > > (somehow!)

    > > > And the reason I believe I did is because I successfully created audio
    > > > CDs on this computer - although some CD players could not play past
    > > > the 12th track or so out of 20 on the disc - I did create usable CDs
    > > > on this burner.

    > > > So in closing I thank you all for your patience in trying to determine
    > > > just WHAT THE F$#(&#K happened, and now I possess actual recovery DVDs
    > > > with actual DATA on them.

    > > > -Chris(who sometimes amazes even himself!)Coaster  LOL....

    > > Glad you got a good set to work with Chris.  Hope everything else works
    > > out OK.

    > > --
    > > -There are some who call me...
    > > Jim

    > > "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    > > troublesome."
    > > - Isaac Asimov- Hide quoted text -

    > ________________________
    > In addition it keeps saying there is a problem with MS Word!  What
    > does word have to do with my printing out map directions from Bing??
    >
    > -CC- Hide quoted text -

    ___________
    Also when I double click the open "printer"-like icon in the
    systray(the one that appears when the printer is *supposed to be*
    printing), in the title bar it says "unable to connect". Obviously I
    have taken all the steps, physically disconnecting/reconnecting the
    cables, deleting and reinstalling the printer drivers direct from HP.
    It seems like it's more a windows spooler problem than my f4180 HP
    printer.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Aug 16, 2011
  10. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > On Jul 17, 1:34 pm, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >> ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :

    >>> ____________________________
    >>> *** B R E A K I N G N E W S ***
    >>> Paul, et al!!
    >>> I just in the past half hour wrapped up creating a set of recovery
    >>> DVDs for this damn Pavilion 6300F. I examined them in DIRECT SUNLIGHT
    >>> and there is definitely something written on all three DVDs. Three
    >>> and a half weeks after recovering my OS with HP DVDs and reinstalling
    >>> a schlep-load of apps, earlier this morning Recovery Manager mozies
    >>> across my screen and asks if I want to create a set of recovery
    >>> discs. And so I did. And the procedure took about 3 hours.
    >>> I don't like dredging up old topics but I need to confess something
    >>> before putting this to bed, finally: Back in spring 2008, when I
    >>> unboxed and set up this PC and created the recovery DVDs, somewhere,
    >>> somehow, though I will never likely recall . . . . I
    >>> FUCKED
    >>> UP.
    >>> The directions to follow when creating recovery CDs or DVDs are so
    >>> clear even my cat could understand them, but nonetheless, I repeat at
    >>> the risk of being crude . . . I
    >>> FUCKED
    >>> UP.
    >>> (somehow!)
    >>> And the reason I believe I did is because I successfully created audio
    >>> CDs on this computer - although some CD players could not play past
    >>> the 12th track or so out of 20 on the disc - I did create usable CDs
    >>> on this burner.
    >>> So in closing I thank you all for your patience in trying to determine
    >>> just WHAT THE F$#(&#K happened, and now I possess actual recovery DVDs
    >>> with actual DATA on them.
    >>> -Chris(who sometimes amazes even himself!)Coaster LOL....

    >> Glad you got a good set to work with Chris. Hope everything else works
    >> out OK.
    >>
    >> --
    >> -There are some who call me...
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    >> troublesome."
    >> - Isaac Asimov- Hide quoted text -

    > _____________________________
    > **LATE BREAKING** JUst started happening.
    >
    > Printer will not print from certain webpages. Acc to Windows Vista,
    > the "Spooler" keeps shutting down. I need to reinstall this "spooler"
    > thingie to get printing again.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spooler

    "With spooling, multiple processes can write documents to a print queue
    without waiting."

    The Print Queue decouples an application, from the printing process. With
    your web browser open, you can print your map, and the browser writes out
    the print job to the spooler at top speed (as fast as the disk can go).
    The browser is then free to go about its business, after a very short
    delay.

    The spooler is a first-in-first-out queue. It stacks up print jobs,
    and patiently waits for the printing service to handle each print job.

    If there is a problem, the spooler should pop up a dialog of some
    sort, saying "your print job did not complete for the following reason",
    and the reason could include a problem with the spooler itself, or
    with the print engine doing the printing of the actual job.

    Sometimes, a Service has died, and that is what is stopping printing.
    Or, it's the print document itself, that isn't the right type. It
    may be difficult to diagnose, using on the error message.

    It's a matter of looking at the symptoms, checking the print queue,
    to see what is going on.

    Some users, may have printed a Microsoft Word document last month,
    the print job failed for some technical reason, and the user has
    ignored the print job. Perhaps, every time the computer was booted
    after that, the spooler service would attempt to complete the
    print job again. It might require user intervention to say "yes,
    I know about that print, and I no longer need it, so delete it
    from the queue". A print job will stay in the queue, waiting
    for the printer to be loaded with paper, the printer to be
    repaired and so on. So you could have "stale" print jobs
    stacked up in there.

    So the next time you see a dialog, take note of what type of
    dialog it might be.

    You can

    1) Do a PrintScreen.
    2) That's the equivalent of doing a copy/paste kinda thing, of the
    screen. Now there is a copy of the screen in the clipboard buffer.
    3) If you now open a paint program (or my favorite the GIMP program),
    you can then paste the clipboard image into a new document. Now,
    edit the image, crop out the garbage on the screen, and keep
    just the portion you have a question about.
    4) Use a web site like imageshack.us or picasa or other image
    hosting site. Upload the image to the site. Keep a copy
    of the resulting URL of the image stored on the web server.
    You can post that URL here, in your next question.

    You can store big images on those servers, as long as you select
    "do not resize" when uploading them. That keeps the quality of
    the original image. Here is an example of a large image I shared
    some time ago. So if I wanted to discuss something like this
    that I saw on my screen, I could share it with you this way.
    Some image servers delete content after a while, but I haven't
    lost anything here yet. Apparently, this hosting service
    censors content in some countries, so if you live in a certain
    country, you can't view this picture. That's a potential downside
    of this site.

    http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/842/500gb3500418ascomposite.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 16, 2011
  11. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Drahn Guest

    On 8/16/2011 8:20 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 11:15 am, ChrisCoaster<> wrote:
    >> On Jul 17, 1:34 pm, James D Andrews<> wrote:
    >>

    >>> ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :

    >>> Glad you got a good set to work with Chris. Hope everything else works
    >>> out OK.

    >>> --
    >>> -There are some who call me...
    >>> Jim

    >>> "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    >>> troublesome."
    >>> - Isaac Asimov- Hide quoted text -

    >> ________________________
    >> In addition it keeps saying there is a problem with MS Word! What
    >> does word have to do with my printing out map directions from Bing??
    >>
    >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > ___________
    > Also when I double click the open "printer"-like icon in the
    > systray(the one that appears when the printer is *supposed to be*
    > printing), in the title bar it says "unable to connect". Obviously I
    > have taken all the steps, physically disconnecting/reconnecting the
    > cables, deleting and reinstalling the printer drivers direct from HP.
    > It seems like it's more a windows spooler problem than my f4180 HP
    > printer.
    >
    > -CC

    The unable to connect is referring to a logical connection.

    1. physically remove the printer cable and start the computer.
    2. When all is up and running, bring up the control panel and delete the
    printer.
    3. shut down the computer normally, including power off. Leave the
    printer disconnected.
    4. turn the computer back on and get everything up and running.
    5. now, plug in the printer data cable back into the computer.
    6. The plug-and-play will recognize a new printer and will re-establish
    the correct logical connection.

    Paul

    Paul Drahn, Aug 16, 2011
  12. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 16, 5:12 pm, Paul Drahn <> wrote:
    > On 8/16/2011 8:20 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > >> ________________________
    > >> In addition it keeps saying there is a problem with MS Word!  What
    > >> does word have to do with my printing out map directions from Bing??

    > >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > > ___________
    > > Also when I double click the open "printer"-like icon in the
    > > systray(the one that appears when the printer is *supposed to be*
    > > printing), in the title bar it says "unable to connect".  Obviously I
    > > have taken all the steps, physically disconnecting/reconnecting the
    > > cables, deleting and reinstalling the printer drivers direct from HP.
    > > It seems like it's more a windows spooler problem than my f4180 HP
    > > printer.

    > > -CC

    > The unable to connect is referring to a logical connection.
    >
    > 1. physically remove the printer cable and start the computer.
    > 2. When all is up and running, bring up the control panel and delete the
    > printer.
    > 3. shut down the computer normally, including power off. Leave the
    > printer disconnected.
    > 4. turn the computer back on and get everything up and running.
    > 5. now, plug in the printer data cable back into the computer.
    > 6. The plug-and-play will recognize a new printer and will re-establish
    > the correct logical connection.
    >
    > Paul- Hide quoted text -

    __________________
    Thanks Paul. Seems like we have two great Pauls onhere! I will
    attempt teh above process tmorrow once my head is clear. As you all
    can read my keyboard has astartede skipping/typing extyra charagters
    again!! :mad:

    -ChirsCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Aug 18, 2011
  13. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 16, 5:12 pm, Paul Drahn <> wrote:
    > On 8/16/2011 8:20 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > >> ________________________
    > >> In addition it keeps saying there is a problem with MS Word!  What
    > >> does word have to do with my printing out map directions from Bing??

    > >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > > ___________
    > > Also when I double click the open "printer"-like icon in the
    > > systray(the one that appears when the printer is *supposed to be*
    > > printing), in the title bar it says "unable to connect".  Obviously I
    > > have taken all the steps, physically disconnecting/reconnecting the
    > > cables, deleting and reinstalling the printer drivers direct from HP.
    > > It seems like it's more a windows spooler problem than my f4180 HP
    > > printer.

    > > -CC

    > The unable to connect is referring to a logical connection.
    >
    > 1. physically remove the printer cable and start the computer.
    > 2. When all is up and running, bring up the control panel and delete the
    > printer.
    > 3. shut down the computer normally, including power off. Leave the
    > printer disconnected.
    > 4. turn the computer back on and get everything up and running.
    > 5. now, plug in the printer data cable back into the computer.
    > 6. The plug-and-play will recognize a new printer and will re-establish
    > the correct logical connection.
    >
    > Paul

    __________________
    Paul! Performed all above steps - printer *seems* to be alright - for
    now.

    Paul, you and *Paul* are models to this newsgroup. Your patience and
    willingness to explain things through are examples to me and,
    hopefully, to others on here.

    Now I hate to keep bringing up old ghosts but issues keep cropping up
    since I restored this HP since it's "blutn trauma injury back in
    June": The skipping keyboard is back. Also, even on this Google site
    when I check "Keep Me Logged In" in the check box - I come back in an
    hour, turn on myPC, and have to log in anyway. Same for Yahoo and any
    other rgular logins I do.

    What's nect?

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Aug 18, 2011
  14. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 18, 7:47 am, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    > On Aug 16, 5:12 pm, Paul Drahn <> wrote:

    > > > ___________
    > > > Also when I double click the open "printer"-like icon in the
    > > > systray(the one that appears when the printer is *supposed to be*
    > > > printing), in the title bar it says "unable to connect".  ObviouslyI
    > > > have taken all the steps, physically disconnecting/reconnecting the
    > > > cables, deleting and reinstalling the printer drivers direct from HP.
    > > > It seems like it's more a windows spooler problem than my f4180 HP
    > > > printer.

    > > > -CC

    > > The unable to connect is referring to a logical connection.

    > > 1. physically remove the printer cable and start the computer.
    > > 2. When all is up and running, bring up the control panel and delete the
    > > printer.
    > > 3. shut down the computer normally, including power off. Leave the
    > > printer disconnected.
    > > 4. turn the computer back on and get everything up and running.
    > > 5. now, plug in the printer data cable back into the computer.
    > > 6. The plug-and-play will recognize a new printer and will re-establish
    > > the correct logical connection.

    > > Paul

    > __________________
    > Paul!  Performed all above steps - printer *seems* to be alright - for
    > now.
    >
    > Paul, you and *Paul* are models to this newsgroup.  Your patience and
    > willingness to explain things through are examples to me and,
    > hopefully, to others on here.
    >
    > Now I hate to keep bringing up old ghosts but issues keep cropping up
    > since I restored this HP since it's "blutn trauma injury back in
    > June":  The skipping keyboard is back.  Also, even on this Google site
    > when I check "Keep Me Logged In" in the check box - I come back in an
    > hour, turn on myPC, and have to log in anyway. Same for Yahoo and any
    > other rgular logins I do.
    >
    > What's nect?
    >
    > -CC- Hide quoted text -

    _______________________
    Guess you guys have given up on my computer. Understandable! I'll
    even take a couple "GET A NEW MACHINE!!!" comments at this point.
    LOL.

    -CC

    ChrisCoaster, Aug 20, 2011
  15. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > On Aug 18, 7:47 am, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:

    >>> The unable to connect is referring to a logical connection.
    >>> 1. physically remove the printer cable and start the computer.
    >>> 2. When all is up and running, bring up the control panel and delete the
    >>> printer.
    >>> 3. shut down the computer normally, including power off. Leave the
    >>> printer disconnected.
    >>> 4. turn the computer back on and get everything up and running.
    >>> 5. now, plug in the printer data cable back into the computer.
    >>> 6. The plug-and-play will recognize a new printer and will re-establish
    >>> the correct logical connection.
    >>> Paul

    >> __________________
    >> Paul! Performed all above steps - printer *seems* to be alright - for
    >> now.
    >>
    >> Paul, you and *Paul* are models to this newsgroup. Your patience and
    >> willingness to explain things through are examples to me and,
    >> hopefully, to others on here.
    >>
    >> Now I hate to keep bringing up old ghosts but issues keep cropping up
    >> since I restored this HP since it's "blutn trauma injury back in
    >> June": The skipping keyboard is back. Also, even on this Google site
    >> when I check "Keep Me Logged In" in the check box - I come back in an
    >> hour, turn on myPC, and have to log in anyway. Same for Yahoo and any
    >> other rgular logins I do.
    >>
    >> What's nect?
    >>
    >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > _______________________
    > Guess you guys have given up on my computer. Understandable! I'll
    > even take a couple "GET A NEW MACHINE!!!" comments at this point.
    > LOL.
    >
    > -CC

    Wouldn't a "keep me logged in" option, rely on some regular
    communications ? If you sleep or hibernate the machine,
    I don't see a reason for the state to be preserved that well.
    The network connection should time out at the server (Google) end,
    and then, when your machine wakes up and attempts to use the
    same connection, the state information on the other end is lost.

    If the "keep me logged in", instead just provides a cached password
    on demand, and isn't keeping the connection alive, then that should
    always work (as long as the connection to the Internet is available
    when you need it).

    There are a limited number of things to experiment with on the
    keyboard. You can try a different OS (to rule out a software issue).
    You can try another keyboard (using the same port type as before).
    Or you can try another keyboard that uses a different port type (PS/2
    or USB, depending on what you had before). That might be
    easier than swapping out a motherboard, on the chance it was an
    issue with the port itself (or even a cable for that matter). Once you've
    replaced the motherboard, there is always the power supply. A power
    supply with excessive ripple on the output for example, might upset
    the operation of some hardware in the computer.

    So I wouldn't exactly "get a new machine" - I'd use my junk pile,
    to swap out a bit of hardware at a time, and see if the symptoms change.
    Years ago, on one computer build, I bought pretty close to twice as
    many components, as are needed to build a computer, by using the swapping
    method and trying to fix stuff. If doesn't take long, when doing
    your own computer maintenance, before you amass a junk pile.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 20, 2011
  16. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 20, 11:35 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > >> __________________
    > >> Paul!  Performed all above steps - printer *seems* to be alright - for
    > >> now.

    > >> Paul, you and *Paul* are models to this newsgroup.  Your patience and
    > >> willingness to explain things through are examples to me and,
    > >> hopefully, to others on here.

    > >> Now I hate to keep bringing up old ghosts but issues keep cropping up
    > >> since I restored this HP since it's "blutn trauma injury back in
    > >> June":  The skipping keyboard is back.  Also, even on this Google site
    > >> when I check "Keep Me Logged In" in the check box - I come back in an
    > >> hour, turn on myPC, and have to log in anyway. Same for Yahoo and any
    > >> other rgular logins I do.

    > >> What's nect?

    > >> -CC- Hide quoted text -

    > > _______________________
    > > Guess you guys have given up on my computer. Understandable!  I'll
    > > even take a couple "GET A NEW MACHINE!!!" comments at this point.
    > > LOL.

    > > -CC

    > Wouldn't a "keep me logged in" option, rely on some regular
    > communications ? If you sleep or hibernate the machine,
    > I don't see a reason for the state to be preserved that well.
    > The network connection should time out at the server (Google) end,
    > and then, when your machine wakes up and attempts to use the
    > same connection, the state information on the other end is lost.
    >
    > If the "keep me logged in", instead just provides a cached password
    > on demand, and isn't keeping the connection alive, then that should
    > always work (as long as the connection to the Internet is available
    > when you need it).
    >
    > There are a limited number of things to experiment with on the
    > keyboard. You can try a different OS (to rule out a software issue).
    > You can try another keyboard (using the same port type as before).
    > Or you can try another keyboard that uses a different port type (PS/2
    > or USB, depending on what you had before). That might be
    > easier than swapping out a motherboard, on the chance it was an
    > issue with the port itself (or even a cable for that matter). Once you've
    > replaced the motherboard, there is always the power supply. A power
    > supply with excessive ripple on the output for example, might upset
    > the operation of some hardware in the computer.
    >
    > So I wouldn't exactly "get a new machine" - I'd use my junk pile,
    > to swap out a bit of hardware at a time, and see if the symptoms change.
    > Years ago, on one computer build, I bought pretty close to twice as
    > many components, as are needed to build a computer, by using the swapping
    > method and trying to fix stuff. If doesn't take long, when doing
    > your own computer maintenance, before you amass a junk pile.
    >
    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    ____________________
    LOL!

    Again, keeping me logged in worked - until I had to replace my hard
    disk and recover the PC. And I check that little box everytime I log
    inhere and elsehwere.

    All these things likely point to damage beyond the hard drive from
    when I whacked - OOPS, did I confess something?

    :D

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Aug 21, 2011
  17. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Aug 20, 7:18 pm, ChrisCoaster <> wrote:
    > On Aug 20, 11:35 am, Paul <> wrote:
    >

    > >ChrisCoasterwrote:

    > > > _______________________
    > > > Guess you guys have given up on my computer. Understandable!  I'll
    > > > even take a couple "GET A NEW MACHINE!!!" comments at this point.
    > > > LOL.

    > > > -CC

    > > Wouldn't a "keep me logged in" option, rely on some regular
    > > communications ? If you sleep or hibernate the machine,
    > > I don't see a reason for the state to be preserved that well.
    > > The network connection should time out at the server (Google) end,
    > > and then, when your machine wakes up and attempts to use the
    > > same connection, the state information on the other end is lost.

    > > If the "keep me logged in", instead just provides a cached password
    > > on demand, and isn't keeping the connection alive, then that should
    > > always work (as long as the connection to the Internet is available
    > > when you need it).

    > > There are a limited number of things to experiment with on the
    > > keyboard. You can try a different OS (to rule out a software issue).
    > > You can try another keyboard (using the same port type as before).
    > > Or you can try another keyboard that uses a different port type (PS/2
    > > or USB, depending on what you had before). That might be
    > > easier than swapping out a motherboard, on the chance it was an
    > > issue with the port itself (or even a cable for that matter). Once you've
    > > replaced the motherboard, there is always the power supply. A power
    > > supply with excessive ripple on the output for example, might upset
    > > the operation of some hardware in the computer.

    > > So I wouldn't exactly "get a new machine" - I'd use my junk pile,
    > > to swap out a bit of hardware at a time, and see if the symptoms change..
    > > Years ago, on one computer build, I bought pretty close to twice as
    > > many components, as are needed to build a computer, by using the swapping
    > > method and trying to fix stuff. If doesn't take long, when doing
    > > your own computer maintenance, before you amass a junk pile.

    > >     Paul- Hide quoted text -

    > ____________________
    > LOL!
    >
    > Again, keeping me logged in worked - until I had to replace my hard
    > disk and recover the PC.  And I check that little box everytime I log
    > inhere and elsehwere.
    >
    > All these things likely point to damage beyond the hard drive from
    > when I whacked - OOPS, did I confess something?
    >
    > :D
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster- Hide quoted text -

    ___________________________________
    ** NEW PROBLEM PROBABLY RELATED TO ALL OF THE ABOVE - "PRINT SPOOLER
    HAS STOPPED WORKING" MSG WHEN PRINTING FROM INTERNET!! **

    I do not get this message when printing from MS Office 2010(Word,
    Powerpoint, or Excel). I have tried the various solutions suggested
    on:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/2634b214-64e7-4002-959e-5d11010b65c0/

    and NONE of them work. I know it's not the HP Printer itself because
    it printed fine from any/all sources before the hard drive replacement/
    system rebuild of June-July. And the MS website assistance about this
    very issue is USELESS.

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 5, 2011
  18. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:

    > ** NEW PROBLEM PROBABLY RELATED TO ALL OF THE ABOVE - "PRINT SPOOLER
    > HAS STOPPED WORKING" MSG WHEN PRINTING FROM INTERNET!! **
    >
    > I do not get this message when printing from MS Office 2010(Word,
    > Powerpoint, or Excel). I have tried the various solutions suggested
    > on:
    > http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/2634b214-64e7-4002-959e-5d11010b65c0/
    >
    > and NONE of them work. I know it's not the HP Printer itself because
    > it printed fine from any/all sources before the hard drive replacement/
    > system rebuild of June-July. And the MS website assistance about this
    > very issue is USELESS.
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    The basic architecture is here. It's hard to see how it's falling over,
    unless something like RPC (remote procedure call) was broken, and if
    that was broken, the machine would probably stop working altogether.

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/06/19/basic-printing-architecture.aspx

    Maybe the act of printing, has caused the print spooler to damage something
    it uses as a resource. So it's not a direct interaction as such (web browser
    pokes spooler in the eye), but more indirect (spooler "eats bad ravioli" and dies).
    So maybe it's something malformed, going to the spooler.

    "Enable or disable logging of printing events"
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784896(WS.10).aspx

    I don't know if turning on the logging of "informational events" would help.

    Personally, I'd rather the printing subsystem just had a log file you could
    look at, in plain English. I'm not a big fan in general, of Event Viewer
    and other forms of System Logging, as they're a hindrance rather than a help.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 5, 2011
  19. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    > Personally, I'd rather the printing subsystem just had a log file you could
    > look at, in plain English. I'm not a big fan in general, of Event Viewer
    > and other forms of System Logging, as they're a hindrance rather than a help.
    >
    >     Paul

    __________________

    Application errors immediately leading up to the print spooler errors:
    Faulting application spoolsv.exe, version 6.0.6002.18294, time stamp
    0x4c6a9898, faulting module hpz3r64X.dll, version 61.71.266.34, time
    stamp 0x492a7a47, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x001029d9,
    process id 0x6c4, application start time 0x01cc835039c9831e.

    Print spooler error details itself(not the notification, the actual
    error):
    Document
    http://www.bing.com/maps/print.aspx...yPgA=&mode=D&rtop=0~0~0~&cmw=1249&cmh=629&u=0
    failed to print and was deleted because of corruption in the spooled
    file. The associated driver is: HP Deskjet F4100 series. Try printing
    the document again.

    Clear as mud? :D

    Again this was not happening until I kicked my PC in anger in June and
    had to replace the hard drive and recover the OS. Also to this day my
    Printer's Introductory window occasionally pops up asking me if I want
    to register the 4100 with HP! I already did that aeons ago!!

    Is there really no solution other than to just buy a new PC?

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 6, 2011
  20. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    On Oct 5, 2:30 pm, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > > ** NEW PROBLEM PROBABLY RELATED TO ALL OF THE ABOVE - "PRINT SPOOLER
    > > HAS STOPPED WORKING" MSG WHEN PRINTING FROM INTERNET!! **

    > > I do not get this message when printing from MS Office 2010(Word,
    > > Powerpoint, or Excel).  I have tried the various solutions suggested
    > > on:
    > >http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistaprinting/t...

    > > and NONE of them work.  I know it's not the HP Printer itself because
    > > it printed fine from any/all sources before the hard drive replacement/
    > > system rebuild of June-July.  And the MS website assistance about this
    > > very issue is USELESS.

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > The basic architecture is here. It's hard to see how it's falling over,
    > unless something like RPC (remote procedure call) was broken, and if
    > that was broken, the machine would probably stop working altogether.
    >
    > http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/06/19/basic-printing-...
    >
    > Maybe the act of printing, has caused the print spooler to damage something
    > it uses as a resource. So it's not a direct interaction as such (web browser
    > pokes spooler in the eye), but more indirect (spooler "eats bad ravioli" and dies).
    > So maybe it's something malformed, going to the spooler.
    >
    > "Enable or disable logging of printing events"http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc784896(WS.10).aspx
    >
    > I don't know if turning on the logging of "informational events" would help.
    >
    > Personally, I'd rather the printing subsystem just had a log file you could
    > look at, in plain English. I'm not a big fan in general, of Event Viewer
    > and other forms of System Logging, as they're a hindrance rather than a help.
    >
    >     Paul

    Aaand...I've reinstalled the printer driver too many times to count.

    LOL

    -ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster, Oct 6, 2011