    their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
    in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

    Barry OGrady, Jan 15, 2005

  2. Barry OGrady

    John Holmes Guest

    Barry OGrady came up with this:

    > I bought an HP Omnibook 800CT notebook from an auction.
    > I can't use it because a password has been set in the BIOS.
    > Is there a way to reset the password?
    >

    > -Barry
    > ========
    > "I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children
    > for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held
    > responsible; in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    > [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]
    >
    > Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    > Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

    Boot into the OS. In a command prompt, run debug.

    debug
    -o 70 2E
    -o 71 00
    -q
    (This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
    rest)

    AMI & Award Bios...

    debug
    -o 70 17
    -o 71 17
    -q
    (Same)

    debug
    -o 70 FF
    -o 71 17
    -q
    (In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    John Holmes, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Barry OGrady

    Jerry G. Guest

    If you call HP support, I am sure that they will give you the right answer.
    I have had to clear it on some other types of machines, and the manufacture
    tech support was able to tell me. I have not done this model that you have.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Jan 15, 2005
  4. Barry OGrady

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    | Barry OGrady came up with this:
    |
    | > I bought an HP Omnibook 800CT notebook from an auction.
    | > I can't use it because a password has been set in the BIOS.
    | > Is there a way to reset the password?
    | >

    | > -Barry
    | > ========
    | > "I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children
    | > for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held
    | > responsible; in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    | > [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]
    | >
    | > Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    | > Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    | >

    | Boot into the OS. In a command prompt, run debug.
    |
    | debug
    | -o 70 2E
    | -o 71 00
    | -q
    | (This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
    | rest)
    |
    | AMI & Award Bios...
    |
    | debug
    | -o 70 17
    | -o 71 17
    | -q
    | (Same)
    |

    | debug
    | -o 70 FF
    | -o 71 17
    | -q
    | (In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)

    How is he going to boot into *any* OS when the BIOS user password won't
    allow the computer to get past the POST?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 15, 2005
  5. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:59:13 -0500, "Jerry G." <> wrote:

    >If you call HP support, I am sure that they will give you the right answer.
    >I have had to clear it on some other types of machines, and the manufacture
    >tech support was able to tell me. I have not done this model that you have.

    Thank you. I may do that. I do have proof of purchase.

    >--
    >
    >Jerry G.
    >======
    >

    >"Barry OGrady" <> wrote in message
    >I bought an HP Omnibook 800CT notebook from an auction.
    >I can't use it because a password has been set in the BIOS.
    >Is there a way to reset the password?
    >

    >-Barry

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Barry OGrady

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:28:53 +0100, John Holmes <> wrote:

    >Barry OGrady came up with this:
    >
    >> I bought an HP Omnibook 800CT notebook from an auction.
    >> I can't use it because a password has been set in the BIOS.
    >> Is there a way to reset the password?
    >>

    >> -Barry
    >> ========
    >> "I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children
    >> for their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held
    >> responsible; in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    >> [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]
    >>
    >> Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    >> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.
    >>

    >Boot into the OS. In a command prompt, run debug.

    Thank you for the information. I can't boot into an OS because the password
    request comes up as soon as I switch it on.

    >debug
    >-o 70 2E
    >-o 71 00
    >-q
    >(This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
    >rest)
    >
    >AMI & Award Bios...
    >
    >debug
    >-o 70 17
    >-o 71 17
    >-q
    >(Same)
    >

    >debug
    >-o 70 FF
    >-o 71 17
    >-q
    >(In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)
    >

    >--
    >-John Holmes-
    >
    >"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

    -Barry