HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printing will stop.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Orak Listalavostok, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
    Black ink old. Color ink old.
    8 days to expire. 8 days to expire.
    Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
    Press enter to continue. Press enter to continue.

    This is an HP lie.

    The ink isn't old. I replaced it just last week. Actually, since a
    5-year supply of ink (for me) costs less than 20 bucks in bulk at
    costco, I've been re-filling the four HP OJ 145 ink tanks (some call
    them cartridges but the jets are separate) successfully since January
    of 2003. Once a quarter or so, I refill the ink tanks with a few drops
    of ink, always keeping the sponges wet and turning off the Hewlett
    Packard paper-counting checks which HP uses as a lousy substitute for
    ink level checking.

    Questions for printer experts:
    Q1: How do I bypass this "8 days to expire" HP ink tank setting?
    Q2: Is an HP ink tank really timed to shut down in 18 months?
    Q3: Do I just replace the tanks or do I have to replace the jets?

    Please help,
    Orak Listalavostok
    Orak Listalavostok, Jul 7, 2004

  2. Orak Listalavostok

    Donald Gray Guest

    On 7 Jul 2004 02:27:15 -0700, (Orak
    Listalavostok) wrote:

    >My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
    > Black ink old. Color ink old.
    > 8 days to expire. 8 days to expire.
    > Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
    > Press enter to continue. Press enter to continue.

    {Cross posting deleted}

    I don't know the cure, but it frightens me a wee bit....

    Ink jet cartridges do have an expiry date. just look at the box it
    comes in.

    OK, so they get refilled time and again.

    The above 'Warning' message *may* indicate a very crafty move by the
    manufacturers. Could cartridges themselves be coded with the 'use by
    date' AND could the printer be reading the 'use by date'?

    Is this the manufacturers fighting against refiling their
    cartridges... Hammed!!!!

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jul 7, 2004

  3. Orak Listalavostok

    Shawn Hearn Guest

    In article <>,
    (Orak Listalavostok) wrote:

    > My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
    > Black ink old. Color ink old.
    > 8 days to expire. 8 days to expire.
    > Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
    > Press enter to continue. Press enter to continue.
    >
    > This is an HP lie.
    >
    > The ink isn't old. I replaced it just last week. Actually, since a
    > 5-year supply of ink (for me) costs less than 20 bucks in bulk at
    > costco, I've been re-filling the four HP OJ 145 ink tanks (some call
    > them cartridges but the jets are separate) successfully since January
    > of 2003. Once a quarter or so, I refill the ink tanks with a few drops
    > of ink, always keeping the sponges wet and turning off the Hewlett
    > Packard paper-counting checks which HP uses as a lousy substitute for
    > ink level checking.
    >
    > Questions for printer experts:
    > Q1: How do I bypass this "8 days to expire" HP ink tank setting?
    > Q2: Is an HP ink tank really timed to shut down in 18 months?
    > Q3: Do I just replace the tanks or do I have to replace the jets?
    >
    > Please help,
    > Orak Listalavostok

    Try posting your question on a printer newsgroup
    Shawn Hearn, Jul 7, 2004
  4. Orak Listalavostok wrote:
    > My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
    > Black ink old. Color ink old.
    > 8 days to expire. 8 days to expire.
    > Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
    > Press enter to continue. Press enter to continue.
    >
    > This is an HP lie.
    >
    > The ink isn't old. I replaced it just last week. Actually, since a
    > 5-year supply of ink (for me) costs less than 20 bucks in bulk at
    > costco, I've been re-filling the four HP OJ 145 ink tanks (some call
    > them cartridges but the jets are separate) successfully since January
    > of 2003. Once a quarter or so, I refill the ink tanks with a few drops
    > of ink, always keeping the sponges wet and turning off the Hewlett
    > Packard paper-counting checks which HP uses as a lousy substitute for
    > ink level checking.
    >
    > Questions for printer experts:
    > Q1: How do I bypass this "8 days to expire" HP ink tank setting?
    > Q2: Is an HP ink tank really timed to shut down in 18 months?
    > Q3: Do I just replace the tanks or do I have to replace the jets?
    >
    > Please help,
    > Orak Listalavostok

    HP isn't lying. The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge. I
    don't know of any software hacks or tools that will let you get around
    it.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220

    HP will give their customers all kinds of technical reasons why they
    designed their printer this way, but in the end it was a marketing
    decision to put this 'feature' in the product. Product feature
    decisions are ALWAYS made by marketing.

    Welcome to the brave new world of software-controlled obsolence.
    Demonstrate your support for this concept with your feet. If you buy
    another vendor's product be sure to send your old HP printer with a love
    noe back to Carly Fiorina's personal attention.
    Travis Jordan, Jul 7, 2004
  5. Orak Listalavostok

    Bob Parnass Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 13:36:42 +0000, Travis Jordan wrote:

    > HP isn't lying. The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge. ...
    > Welcome to the brave new world of software-controlled obsolence.
    > Demonstrate your support for this concept with your feet...

    Amen. I found out about Hewlett-Packard's built-in ink cart
    obsolence *after* buying a $1000+ HP 2500c color ink jet printer.

    I bought a different brand of printer the next time because
    of this and won't be buying HP printers again unless their
    policy changes.

    Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com
    Bob Parnass, Jul 7, 2004
  6. i think all the majors have implemented some sort of scheme like this...
    the cartridges have a chip built into them that can be reset as you refill
    it. search the web for "hp resetter" (or for epson, "epson reset tool") and
    you will find several... here's a manual way of doing it on particular hps
    (not sure if it applies to your model). an alternate approach is to just
    buy a cartridge and then refill that one... it may be more economical to
    purchase a non-hp cartridge than the resetter tool give the small amount of
    printing that you do.

    no crossposting please, this reply to rec.photo.digital only, where it was
    read

    Christopher Muto, Jul 7, 2004
  7. oops... left off the link... http://www.inktecuk.co.uk/57_58_reset.htm

    Christopher Muto, Jul 7, 2004
  8. "Travis Jordan" <> wrote in message news:<K%SGc.20558$>...
    > Orak Listalavostok wrote:
    > > My HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer suddenly reports:
    > > Black ink old. Color ink old.
    > > Printing will stop. Printing will stop.
    > > This is an HP lie.

    > HP isn't lying. The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge. I
    > don't know of any software hacks or tools that will let you get around
    > it. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220

    While the cartridge may be expired the ink apparently is not old.
    The ink according to the poster, is actually new ink (for that tank anyway).
    Only the tank is what is old (print heads are separate in an HP OJ d145).

    The interesting link you posted picqued my interest. Specifically the
    line that says "that has led to the discovery that the only fix for
    this cunning [HP lie about the ink being old] is to ... set systems to
    dates in the past."

    Does anyone know if setting the printer date to the past will solve the
    users' problem? Is it easy or hard to set the printer date back a year?

    ---
    Maggie
    Margaret Vonet, Jul 8, 2004
  9. "Travis Jordan" <> wrote in message news:<K%SGc.20558$>...
    > The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge.
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220

    Great article!

    Given that, I think we can finally figure out how to use so-called
    soon-to-expire HP ink cartridges past this fake 8-day expiration date.

    First, the HP printer ink level is NEVER monitored by HP.
    This link http://www.valueshop.co.uk/printer-ink-links.asp
    kindly sent to me by a helpful reader clearly says so:
    "The [smart] chip [embedded in each HP printer cartridge] doesn't
    indicate the amount of ink left in the cartridge ... but stops
    [the HP printer] after a number of print runs, even if there is
    [plenty of] ink available"

    From your article, it appears there are three dates of concern:
    "... the date printed on the ink cartridge is not the expiry
    date [which] is determined either by a cartridge being in the
    HP printer for 30 months, or the cartridge is 4.5 years old,
    whichever comes first. The date on the cartridge, which you'd
    every reason to think was the expiry date if you didn't know,
    is 2.5 years after it was manufactured."

    Therefore, the 3 Hewlett Packard ink cartridge dates appear to be:
    - The date the cartridge was manufactured
    (+ 2.5 years = printed date).
    - The date the cartridge expires
    (death occurs on the printed date + 2 years)
    - The length of time the cartridge is in the printer
    (2.5 years maximum)

    Given the date printed on my HP c5010a tri-color ink cartridge is:
    - 2004/06/10
    (deriving an HP ink cartridge manufacture date of 2001/12/10)
    And the date printed on my HP c5011a black ink cartridge is:
    - 2004/04/29
    (deriving an HP ink cartridge manufacture date of 2001/10/29)

    This would seem to indicate the true HP ink expiration date is:
    - 2006/06/10
    (HP c5010a tri-color ink cartridge true expiration date)
    - 2006/04/29
    (HP c5011a black ink cartridge true expiration date)

    Hmmmm .... so my HP ink cartridges are NOT expiring after all!
    Then why do I see officejet d145 "Black ink old. 8 days to expire"
    & HP OJ d145 "Color ink old. 8 days to expire" error messages?

    Hewlett Packard all-in-one officejet warning messages?

    Assuming the true HP ink cartridge expiration date is two years
    hence, the HP OfficeJet d145 must be calculating the 30 months
    in service expiration date instead. Now the HP error messages
    begin to make sense.

    Given I was presented with the HP OJ d145 printer as a birthday
    gift from my lab mates in January of 2002, we calculate:
    - 2002/01/14
    (the 30 months in-service HP expiration date is then 2004/07/14)

    That is, the 30-month contigious service date is what the HP
    office-jet d145 printer must be complaining about!

    So it's NOT the printer cartridge which is expiring; it's the
    HP 30-months continuous service barrier which is hurting me.
    I still have until 2006 for the HP ink cartridges to expire.

    How can I recover the two years I am entitled for these cartridges?

    Someone kindly emailed me this link which describes HP ink
    rotation steps:
    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpC5010A5011A.html
    "Since Hewlett Packard multifunction printers only retain the
    information of the last two cartridges, you can alternatively
    swap cartridges in and out. This of course requires that you
    have a total of three HP ink cartridges that are not date expired."

    So, one possibility, if I can find them, is to borrow from a friend
    two HP ink cartridges (HP c5011a & hp C5010a) and simply rotate them.
    This, based on the information you kindly provided me, might overcome
    the bug in the HP OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer setup which
    prevents an ink cartridge from being in service for more than 30
    consecutive months.

    Do HP printing experts have any other suggestions to overcome
    HP OfficeJet d145 printer ink cartridge expiration messages?

    Orak Listalavostok
    Orak Listalavostok, Jul 8, 2004
  10. "Travis Jordan" <> wrote in message news:<K%SGc.20558$>...
    > The printer cannot use an expired ink cartridge.
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9220

    Great article!

    Given that, I think we can finally figure out how to use so-called
    soon-to-expire HP ink cartridges past this fake 8-day expiration date.

    First, the HP printer ink level is NEVER monitored by HP.
    This link http://www.valueshop.co.uk/printer-ink-links.asp
    kindly sent to me by a helpful reader clearly says so:
    "The [smart] chip [embedded in each HP printer cartridge] doesn't
    indicate the amount of ink left in the cartridge ... but stops
    [the HP printer] after a number of print runs, even if there is
    [plenty of] ink available"

    From your article, it appears there are three dates of concern:

    Orak Listalavostok, Jul 8, 2004
  11. Orak Listalavostok

    Bob Headrick Guest

    > First, the HP printer ink level is NEVER monitored by HP.
    > This link http://www.valueshop.co.uk/printer-ink-links.asp
    > kindly sent to me by a helpful reader clearly says so:
    > "The [smart] chip [embedded in each HP printer cartridge] doesn't
    > indicate the amount of ink left in the cartridge ... but stops
    > [the HP printer] after a number of print runs, even if there is
    > [plenty of] ink available"

    There is a misunderstanding here. The printer does not stop after a number of
    prints or pages, it counts the individual drops fired. Based on the amount of
    ink put in the supply and the individual drop size the printer can calculate
    how much ink is left. There is some margin to keep the supply from running out
    and introducing air into the printhead. Allowing the printhead to run dry
    would result in damage to the printhead.

    > From your article, it appears there are three dates of concern:
    > "... the date printed on the ink cartridge is not the expiry
    > date [which] is determined either by a cartridge being in the
    > HP printer for 30 months, or the cartridge is 4.5 years old,
    > whichever comes first. The date on the cartridge, which you'd
    > every reason to think was the expiry date if you didn't know,
    > is 2.5 years after it was manufactured."
    >
    > Therefore, the 3 Hewlett Packard ink cartridge dates appear to be:
    > - The date the cartridge was manufactured
    > (+ 2.5 years = printed date).
    > - The date the cartridge expires
    > (death occurs on the printed date + 2 years)
    > - The length of time the cartridge is in the printer
    > (2.5 years maximum)
    >
    > Given the date printed on my HP c5010a tri-color ink cartridge is:
    > - 2004/06/10
    > (deriving an HP ink cartridge manufacture date of 2001/12/10)
    > And the date printed on my HP c5011a black ink cartridge is:
    > - 2004/04/29
    > (deriving an HP ink cartridge manufacture date of 2001/10/29)
    >
    > This would seem to indicate the true HP ink expiration date is:
    > - 2006/06/10
    > (HP c5010a tri-color ink cartridge true expiration date)
    > - 2006/04/29
    > (HP c5011a black ink cartridge true expiration date)
    >
    > Hmmmm .... so my HP ink cartridges are NOT expiring after all!
    > Then why do I see officejet d145 "Black ink old. 8 days to expire"
    > & HP OJ d145 "Color ink old. 8 days to expire" error messages?

    The expiration is the *earlier* of 30 months from date of insertion into the
    printer or 4.5 years from date of manufacture. The ink supplies are cheap
    compared to the printheads, and the expiration is enforced to protect the
    printhead.

    > Assuming the true HP ink cartridge expiration date is two years
    > hence, the HP OfficeJet d145 must be calculating the 30 months
    > in service expiration date instead. Now the HP error messages
    > begin to make sense.
    >
    > Given I was presented with the HP OJ d145 printer as a birthday
    > gift from my lab mates in January of 2002, we calculate:
    > - 2002/01/14
    > (the 30 months in-service HP expiration date is then 2004/07/14)
    >
    > That is, the 30-month contigious service date is what the HP
    > office-jet d145 printer must be complaining about!
    >
    > So it's NOT the printer cartridge which is expiring; it's the
    > HP 30-months continuous service barrier which is hurting me.
    > I still have until 2006 for the HP ink cartridges to expire.
    >
    > How can I recover the two years I am entitled for these cartridges?

    The printer is designed to allow an ink cartrdige to be in the printer for 2.5
    years. There is not an "entitlement". Once the seal of the supply has been
    broken and the supply installed in the printer you have 30 months to use up the
    cartrdige. Over time normal vapro losses will cause the ink to thicken and
    become less suitable. Once again, the printer limits the allowable age of ink
    supplies to avoid damage to the semi-permanent printheads.

    > Someone kindly emailed me this link which describes HP ink
    > rotation steps:

    http://www.alotofthings.com/supportforrefillers/resettingthehpC5010A5011A.html
    > "Since Hewlett Packard multifunction printers only retain the
    > information of the last two cartridges, you can alternatively
    > swap cartridges in and out. This of course requires that you
    > have a total of three HP ink cartridges that are not date expired."

    This applies to the low on ink indicator in the printers with integrated
    cartridges containing both the ink supply and printhead. In these pritners the
    toolbox and printer will indicate a low on ink condition but will not stop
    printing, since there is not an external printhead to protect there is no need
    for the pritner to limit printing in this case.

    > Do HP printing experts have any other suggestions to overcome
    > HP OfficeJet d145 printer ink cartridge expiration messages?

    Put a fresh ink supply in the printer....

    The HP printers with separate ink and printheads are designed for relatively
    heavy usage home users or small office applications. If you do not print much
    you should probably get a different printer. The PSC 2210 or 2410 or Officejet
    6110 may be a better fit for your needs.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, Jul 9, 2004
  12. Orak Listalavostok

    The Real Bev Guest

    Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printingwill stop.

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    > "Orak Listalavostok" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Do HP printing experts have any other suggestions to overcome
    > > HP OfficeJet d145 printer ink cartridge expiration messages?

    > Put a fresh ink supply in the printer....

    I think the intent was to avoid doing that when there's clearly ink in
    the cartridge.

    > The HP printers with separate ink and printheads are designed for relatively
    > heavy usage home users or small office applications. If you do not print much
    > you should probably get a different printer. The PSC 2210 or 2410 or Officejet
    > 6110 may be a better fit for your needs.
    >
    > Regards,

    Is the cartridge expiration a windows thing? What happens if you're
    running linux?

    I'm pretty pissed about the 2 HP printers my mom (win 98) has had -- the
    last one started printing purple 3/4" color bands at random times and
    now prints all photos with a purple cast, although text printing in b+w
    and colors comes out fine. She's printed 1500 pages, which sure doesn't
    seem like a proper lifetime for a printer.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    The Real Bev, Jul 9, 2004
  13. (Margaret Vonet) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Does anyone know if setting the printer date to the past will solve the
    > users' problem? Is it easy or hard to set the printer date back a year?

    I do not know how to change the date in an HP officejet d145 printer.
    Orak Listalavostok, Jul 9, 2004
  14. Orak Listalavostok

    iskowitzsa Guest

    Bob Headrick wrote:

> [...]

    >> have a total of three HP ink cartridges that are not date expired."

    > This applies to the low on ink indicator in the printers with integrated
    > cartridges containing both the ink supply and printhead. In these pritners the
    > toolbox and printer will indicate a low on ink condition but will not stop
    > printing, since there is not an external printhead to protect there is no need
    > for the pritner to limit printing in this case.
    >

    >>Do HP printing experts have any other suggestions to overcome
    >>HP OfficeJet d145 printer ink cartridge expiration messages?

    > Put a fresh ink supply in the printer....
    >
    > The HP printers with separate ink and printheads are designed for relatively
    > heavy usage home users or small office applications. If you do not print much
    > you should probably get a different printer. The PSC 2210 or 2410 or Officejet
    > 6110 may be a better fit for your needs.

    Thanks Bob for a thorough explanation of the expiration dates. I at
    least understand the purpose of the expiration dates on cartridges and
    printers with the built in print heads. makes too me. That helps
    explain a few things to me. I appreciate your Relpy. Stu
    iskowitzsa, Jul 9, 2004
  15. Orak Listalavostok

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "iskowitzsa" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks Bob for a thorough explanation of the expiration dates. I at
    > least understand the purpose of the expiration dates on cartridges and
    > printers with the built in print heads. makes too me. That helps
    > explain a few things to me. I appreciate your Relpy. Stu

    You are welcome. I may not have made things clear for the case of the
    cartridges with built-in printheads. These cartridges have an "install by"
    date printhead on the package and a "warranty date" printed on the cartridge
    body. The integrated print cartridges do not have an expiration date and the
    printer will not stop printing because it thinks the cartridges are tool old or
    too empty.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging
    Bob Headrick, Jul 9, 2004
  16. Orak Listalavostok

    Bob Headrick Guest

    "The Real Bev" <> wrote in message

    > I'm pretty pissed about the 2 HP printers my mom (win 98) has had -- the
    > last one started printing purple 3/4" color bands at random times and
    > now prints all photos with a purple cast, although text printing in b+w
    > and colors comes out fine. She's printed 1500 pages, which sure doesn't
    > seem like a proper lifetime for a printer.

    It sounds like she has a cartridge that is running out of yellow. Text is a
    very low duty cycle of printing compared to photo printing. A cartridge that
    still ahs a bit of yellow ink left could print colored text OK but fail to
    deliver enough yellow when trying to print graphics.

    What is the mode of the printer? Most likely a fresh color cartridge would
    solve the problem.

    Regards,
    MS MVP Printing/Imaging
    Bob Headrick, Jul 9, 2004
  17. Orak Listalavostok

    Bob Headrick wrote:

    > "The Real Bev" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm pretty pissed about the 2 HP printers my mom (win 98) has had -- the
    > > last one started printing purple 3/4" color bands at random times and
    > > now prints all photos with a purple cast, although text printing in b+w
    > > and colors comes out fine. She's printed 1500 pages, which sure doesn't
    > > seem like a proper lifetime for a printer.

    > It sounds like she has a cartridge that is running out of yellow. Text is a
    > very low duty cycle of printing compared to photo printing. A cartridge that
    > still ahs a bit of yellow ink left could print colored text OK but fail to
    > deliver enough yellow when trying to print graphics.

    It's an 882C. When printing a photo it chugs along properly for 3" and
    then prints a 3/4" band of photograph with a distinct purple cast. Then
    it goes along properly for another few inches (these distances are
    pretty much random) and then prints another 3/4" band. Sometimes it
    will print a whole photo properly, sometimes with one band, sometimes
    with two or three. Occasionally it will print an entire page with one
    of the rows of dots lagging behind, which really looks cheesy. This may
    have stopped when the cartridges were replaced last time, but perhaps
    not.

    A third failure mode: consider a photo of a flat wall lit from one
    end. The wall will shade evenly from light to dark across the picture,
    right? That's what happens most of the time. Every once in a while,
    such a picture will exhibit stair-stepped blocks of color, as if the
    resolution were suddenly cut to 1/4 or 1/8 the proper value. Especially
    annoying when it's a person's face instead of a smooth wall or the sky.
    A second attempt at printing the same picture may or may not print
    properly. Likewise with the purple banding. All intermittent.

    > What is the mode of the printer? Most likely a fresh color cartridge would
    > solve the problem.

    This happened both before and after replacing the cartridges. I doubt
    if the new one (third set of cartridges, possibly) has printed more than
    100 pages. Went through the test process, cleaned the print surfaces
    with a damp Q-tip per instructions. No difference.

    What do you mean 'mode'? If you mean draft/ordinary/high-res, she
    prints 'ordinary' because 'high-res' takes longer but makes no
    difference discernible under 10x magnification.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    The Real Bev, Jul 10, 2004
  18. Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printingwill stop.

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > A third failure mode: consider a photo of a flat wall lit from one
    > end. The wall will shade evenly from light to dark across the picture,
    > right? That's what happens most of the time. Every once in a while,
    > such a picture will exhibit stair-stepped blocks of color, as if the
    > resolution were suddenly cut to 1/4 or 1/8 the proper value. Especially
    > annoying when it's a person's face instead of a smooth wall or the sky.
    > A second attempt at printing the same picture may or may not print
    > properly. Likewise with the purple banding. All intermittent.

    It's called posterization. It happens when you decrease the number of
    colors. Sounds like time to write the printer off as a lost cause and
    find something that works reliably.

    Anthony
    Anthony Matonak, Jul 10, 2004
  19. Orak Listalavostok

    Anthony Matonak wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    > > A third failure mode: consider a photo of a flat wall lit from one
    > > end. The wall will shade evenly from light to dark across the picture,
    > > right? That's what happens most of the time. Every once in a while,
    > > such a picture will exhibit stair-stepped blocks of color, as if the
    > > resolution were suddenly cut to 1/4 or 1/8 the proper value. Especially
    > > annoying when it's a person's face instead of a smooth wall or the sky.
    > > A second attempt at printing the same picture may or may not print
    > > properly. Likewise with the purple banding. All intermittent.

    > It's called posterization. It happens when you decrease the number of
    > colors. Sounds like time to write the printer off as a lost cause and
    > find something that works reliably.

    What really bothers me is that HP is supposed to be the gold standard.
    This printer was $300 or so when she bought it a couple of years ago.
    Everybody is always happy with HP and says they're reliable. So how
    come she got so unlucky? The previous one just stopped working a few
    months out of warranty.

    --
    Cheers,
    Bev
    The Real Bev, Jul 10, 2004
  20. Orak Listalavostok

    Steve J Guest

    Re: HP OfficeJet 145 Black/color ink old. 8 days to expire. Printingwill stop.

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:54:23 -0700, The Real Bev
    <> wrote:

    >What really bothers me is that HP is supposed to be the gold standard.
    >This printer was $300 or so when she bought it a couple of years ago.
    >Everybody is always happy with HP and says they're reliable. So how
    >come she got so unlucky? The previous one just stopped working a few
    >months out of warranty.

    Sometimes you get a 'dog' as it were. Perfectly good manufacturers
    make a batch of machines that fail. I have noticed however, that HP's
    manufacturing quality has been declining over the last few years.

    What are you choices? Brother, Canon, Epson, Lexmark and one or two
    others? I have had misery with Epson (besides their truly irritating
    tendancy to spend a whole minute clunking and whirring when switched
    on), and Lexmark.

    The ink running out thing is a pshychological ruse to make you go and
    buy more ink. I have a deskjet 960c and it bitched at me for 6 months!
    before the ink ran out, and it worked 100% all that time with moderate
    use.

    Use BLACKLIST to automatically shut down the error message window.

    SteveJ :)
    Steve J, Jul 10, 2004