    to do a system restore because of a virus. I am running WinXP.
    Happy New Year!
    , Jan 1, 2005

  2. Hammerer Guest

    Just tell it to SHUT THE **** UP! It's the only language it understands.
    Hammerer, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Jerry G. Guest

    A fan may be failing. It would be advisable to have the fault checked out,
    and serviced.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Jan 1, 2005
  4. recruit2112 Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:41:01 GMT, wrote:

    > I have an HP m380n and recently it has gotten to be really noisy. 30
    > minutes after I boot up it starts a loud motor/fan sound then it goes
    > away and comes back an hour or so later then goes again. Is something
    > broken inside? It's operating fine though, just noisy. I recently had
    > to do a system restore because of a virus. I am running WinXP.
    > Happy New Year!

    If you can, *one drop* of a light machine oil on the offending fan motor
    might do the trick.
    recruit2112, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Wayne Guest

    How old is it and have you taken it outside and blown out (using canned
    compressed air) the insides of the case to remove dust and cobwebs that
    might have built up?

    Wayne, Jan 2, 2005
  6. PC Guest

    "recruit2112" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:41:01 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >> I have an HP m380n and recently it has gotten to be really noisy. 30
    >> minutes after I boot up it starts a loud motor/fan sound then it goes
    >> away and comes back an hour or so later then goes again. Is something
    >> broken inside? It's operating fine though, just noisy. I recently had
    >> to do a system restore because of a virus. I am running WinXP.
    >> Happy New Year!

    > If you can, *one drop* of a light machine oil on the offending fan motor
    > might do the trick.

    Your description generally means the fan's sintered bronze bearing has dried
    out and the shaft is chattering in the (now worn) bearing.

    Open the case and determine which fan the noise is coming from.

    If your'e not a hands on type, send it in for a new fan.

    If you're reasonably competent with plugs & screws and the fan plugs in
    change it yourself for new.

    If you are technically competent with a soldering Iron etc, remove the fan
    (power supply, CPU, Case whichever) remove the sticky label and plug (if
    present) over the bearing shaft and lubricate it with new engine oil.
    I usually fill all available space, running the fan in a position that
    encourages oil to seep into the bearing before replacing it.
    Replace the plug/sticky label as appropriate.

    'Unplug' from the mains before delving inside when appropriate.

    Note 'new engine oil' (20/50 or similar) not CRC 556, WD 40 or any
    of the other 'light' lubricants. These 'light' oils suggested by many
    posters simply don't last.

    I have found engine oil will extend the life of the fan about 100% ie if the
    fan is two years old when it chatters, oiling it will make it last at least
    another two years.

    Having said all that if the fan has a ball bearing it'll most likely need
    replacing completely.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Jan 2, 2005