    prints 1/3 of the page again. It keeps doing this until I cancell the print
    job. But It will print a single A4 page with no problems.

    any ideas ?
    David Butler, Jul 3, 2004

  2. On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:00:13 +1200, David Butler wrote:

    > Hi guys, I have a HP 8500n Colour laser printer with a Directjet card it it,
    > if I print a large A3 picture or document it takes about an hour to sool the
    > job, but now it's only printing 1/3 of each page, Win XP times out, and then
    > restarts the print job and then it times out says that was an error and
    > prints 1/3 of the page again. It keeps doing this until I cancell the print
    > job. But It will print a single A4 page with no problems.
    >
    > any ideas ?

    Sounds to me like an "insufficient printer memory" problem ... but I'm
    very likely wrong. Can you print an A-3 page successfully if you print
    direct without spooling?
    --

    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
    E-Mail me for details.

    - I may have been born at night ... but it sure wasn't LAST night!!!
    Nicolaas Hawkins, Jul 3, 2004

  3. In article <cc5ei6$np4$>, says...
    > Hi guys, I have a HP 8500n Colour laser printer with a Directjet card it it,
    > if I print a large A3 picture or document it takes about an hour to sool the
    > job, but now it's only printing 1/3 of each page, Win XP times out, and then
    > restarts the print job and then it times out says that was an error and
    > prints 1/3 of the page again. It keeps doing this until I cancell the print
    > job. But It will print a single A4 page with no problems.
    >
    > any ideas ?

    insufficient memory
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 3, 2004
  4. In article <1qygi1y40uog4$.1k67ed942aycw$>,
    says...
    > On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:00:13 +1200, David Butler wrote:
    >
    > > Hi guys, I have a HP 8500n Colour laser printer with a Directjet card it it,
    > > if I print a large A3 picture or document it takes about an hour to sool the
    > > job, but now it's only printing 1/3 of each page, Win XP times out, and then
    > > restarts the print job and then it times out says that was an error and
    > > prints 1/3 of the page again. It keeps doing this until I cancell the print
    > > job. But It will print a single A4 page with no problems.
    > >
    > > any ideas ?

    > Sounds to me like an "insufficient printer memory" problem ... but I'm
    > very likely wrong. Can you print an A-3 page successfully if you print
    > direct without spooling?

    Insufficient memory is a good guess. If there is not enough then only
    part of a page is printed. This happens with my laserjet 4L which has
    only 1 MB memory, but generally it only happens printing complex pages
    from MS Publisher.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 3, 2004
  5. David Butler

    David Butler Guest

    It's Got 160MB Memory and a 2Gb Hard Disk, the document is only 25MB, I will
    tell it to format th's HDD and see what happens.

    It seems to be a windows XP problem, as it instantly says that there is a
    problem and it cannot be printed.

    David Butler, Jul 3, 2004
  6. In article <cc5pld$vcd$>, says...
    > It's Got 160MB Memory and a 2Gb Hard Disk, the document is only 25MB, I will
    > tell it to format th's HDD and see what happens.
    >
    > It seems to be a windows XP problem, as it instantly says that there is a
    > problem and it cannot be printed.

    Try a driver update?
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 3, 2004
  7. David Butler

    David Butler Guest

    O.K. so it's Directjet card's IP is 169.254.139.68,

    how can I change it or set it to get an address from the DHCP server ?
    as the server's range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

    David Butler, Jul 3, 2004
  8. In article <cc5s53$1mm$>, says...
    > O.K. so it's Directjet card's IP is 169.254.139.68,
    >
    > how can I change it or set it to get an address from the DHCP server ?
    > as the server's range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

    Why the hell would you want to do this?

    How does every workstation know what IP address to print to if it is not
    a fixed address?

    Have your server reserve a small range of addresses at the top of the
    range as fixed addresses and assign one of these to the printer.

    I work on a small network and we have two printers sitting on
    192.168.0.201 and 192.168.0.202, addresses in this range having been
    reserved. Windows XP can print to either a TCP/IP port (built in) or in
    this case a local port monitor using software provided by the printer
    manufacturer, that prints over TCP/IP.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 3, 2004
  9. David Butler

    Steve Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <cc5s53$1mm$>, says...
    >
    >>O.K. so it's Directjet card's IP is 169.254.139.68,
    >>
    >>how can I change it or set it to get an address from the DHCP server ?
    >>as the server's range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

    > Why the hell would you want to do this?
    >
    > How does every workstation know what IP address to print to if it is not
    > a fixed address?

    It uses a little known ( to some obviously ) service called dns.

    > Have your server reserve a small range of addresses at the top of the
    > range as fixed addresses and assign one of these to the printer.
    >
    > I work on a small network and we have two printers sitting on
    > 192.168.0.201 and 192.168.0.202, addresses in this range having been
    > reserved. Windows XP can print to either a TCP/IP port (built in) or in
    > this case a local port monitor using software provided by the printer
    > manufacturer, that prints over TCP/IP.

    Set up dhcp to manage all of your IP addresses... not to propagate a
    hosts file to every pc in the network. DHCP is perfectly capable of
    assigning the same IP address to the same mac address if you want it
    static, but keeping the name the same is all you need.

    Why manage your printers differently to the rest of your network when
    you don't have to?

    Steve
    Steve, Jul 3, 2004
  10. David Butler

    a Guest

    In article <cc5ei6$np4$>, says...
    > Hi guys, I have a HP 8500n Colour laser printer with a Directjet card it it,
    > if I print a large A3 picture or document it takes about an hour to sool the
    > job, but now it's only printing 1/3 of each page, Win XP times out, and then
    > restarts the print job and then it times out says that was an error and
    > prints 1/3 of the page again. It keeps doing this until I cancell the print
    > job. But It will print a single A4 page with no problems.
    >
    > any ideas ?

    I'm guessing that you are using Postscript rather than PCL.
    You could try printing via LPR if not already doing so.

    Check out the user support forums on HP as well, they have the low down
    on such issues.
    a, Jul 3, 2004
  11. David Butler

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 20:52:10 +1200, "David Butler" <>
    wrote:

    >O.K. so it's Directjet card's IP is 169.254.139.68,
    >
    >how can I change it or set it to get an address from the DHCP server ?
    >as the server's range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

    Use the Menu button to scroll thru the menus until you get to the MIO
    menu. Scroll thru the MIO options using the Item button & change
    "Configure Network" to "Yes" instead of "No" using the Select button.
    From there it's straightforward.

    In XP you then need to install a standard TCP/IP port, giving it the
    IP you've set up.

    You can also download the HP network printer installer which does it
    all for you.

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Jul 3, 2004
  12. David Butler

    David Butler Guest

    Yes, I can do that, but you select the configure yes option, but it defaults
    back to no next time that you look at it and will not stay on yes. Maybe
    there is something wrong with the card or the printer.

    David Butler, Jul 4, 2004
  13. David Butler

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 11:06:07 +1200, "David Butler" <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, I can do that, but you select the configure yes option, but it defaults
    >back to no next time that you look at it and will not stay on yes. Maybe
    >there is something wrong with the card or the printer.

    It will always default back to 'no' after you've exited the MIO menu.
    When you change it 'yes' you have to then keep scrolling thru the item
    options & it will let you change the IP address etc....if it's set to
    'no' you don't see those options. It will save the changes you make.

    GT
    Gavin Tunney, Jul 4, 2004
  14. David Butler

    David Butler Guest

    Yes, I've found that out now.

    I've changed the IP address to something in the range on my DHCP server, but
    it still doesnot appear on the DHCP routing table. But it does spool at
    rocket speed now.

    The only other problem is that it seems to screw up the character spacing,
    sometimes and it prints letters on top of each other and then it leaves gaps
    where the letters shoild have been - if you can unserstand this.

    Thanks for all of your help guys.

    David Butler, Jul 4, 2004
  15. In article <cc60f5$555$>, d says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > In article <cc5s53$1mm$>, says...
    > >
    > >>O.K. so it's Directjet card's IP is 169.254.139.68,
    > >>
    > >>how can I change it or set it to get an address from the DHCP server ?
    > >>as the server's range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

    > > Why the hell would you want to do this?
    > >
    > > How does every workstation know what IP address to print to if it is not
    > > a fixed address?

    > It uses a little known ( to some obviously ) service called dns.

    The printer doesn't have a name. It has an IP address.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 4, 2004
  16. In article <cc60f5$555$>, d says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > > In article <cc5s53$1mm$>, says...
    > >
    > >>O.K. so it's Directjet card's IP is 169.254.139.68,
    > >>
    > >>how can I change it or set it to get an address from the DHCP server ?
    > >>as the server's range is 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.255

    > > Why the hell would you want to do this?
    > >
    > > How does every workstation know what IP address to print to if it is not
    > > a fixed address?

    > It uses a little known ( to some obviously ) service called dns.

    Maybe to you. The printer has a fixed IP address, which has to be
    reserved from the general pool of addresses allocatable by DHCP.
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 4, 2004
  17. David Butler wrote:
    > Hi guys, I have a HP 8500n Colour laser printer with a Directjet card it it,
    > if I print a large A3 picture or document it takes about an hour to sool the
    > job, but now it's only printing 1/3 of each page, Win XP times out, and then
    > restarts the print job and then it times out says that was an error and
    > prints 1/3 of the page again. It keeps doing this until I cancell the print
    > job. But It will print a single A4 page with no problems.

    An hour to spool?
    whats the network speed/duplex set to, hope they're matching.

    only other time I've seen this is when you have driver issues on the Pc
    that your printing from.

    At work the workstations grab the latest driver from the server at
    logon, but occassionally it fucks up and the workstations end up with
    multiple versions of the driver, pita to say the least.

    basically we just remove all drivers, and then let them(the users) logon
    again.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 4, 2004
  18. David Butler

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    Dave - Dave.net.nz <Dave@_no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> expelled:

    > An hour to spool?
    > whats the network speed/duplex set to, hope they're matching.
    >
    > only other time I've seen this is when you have driver issues on the
    > Pc that your printing from.

    I've found that with the Xerox Docucolour's slow spooling (30 minutes)
    happens if you use a standard TCP/IP printer port from Win2K. If you
    install print services for unix and use an LPR port the spooling works ok
    (<2 minutes for the same job). Maybe something like this is going on??

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Jul 5, 2004
  19. David Butler

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 12:16:09 +1200, "David Butler" <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, I've found that out now.
    >
    >I've changed the IP address to something in the range on my DHCP server, but
    >it still doesnot appear on the DHCP routing table. But it does spool at
    >rocket speed now.
    >
    >The only other problem is that it seems to screw up the character spacing,
    >sometimes and it prints letters on top of each other and then it leaves gaps
    >where the letters shoild have been - if you can unserstand this.
    >
    >Thanks for all of your help guys.

    That will likely be a driver problem David. HP are notorious for buggy
    early-release drivers, try updating to the latest driver for XP.
    Alternatively if you're using postscript try the PCL driver... or
    vice-versa.

    Cheers

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Jul 5, 2004
  20. Gavin Tunney wrote:
    >>The only other problem is that it seems to screw up the character spacing,
    >>sometimes and it prints letters on top of each other and then it leaves gaps
    >>where the letters shoild have been - if you can unserstand this.

    > That will likely be a driver problem David. HP are notorious for buggy
    > early-release drivers, try updating to the latest driver for XP.
    > Alternatively if you're using postscript try the PCL driver... or
    > vice-versa.

    Also, PCL5e drivers seem to have less issues than CPL6 drivers. but this
    is just personal experience, I have no stats or anything else to back it up.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 5, 2004