Hp Netbook Win 7 Starter Upgrade

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Possible, Jun 1, 2011.

  1. Possible

    Possible Guest

    From what I have found out its not possible here to up date a Netbook
    with Windows 7 starter to Home Premium using a purchased DVD.

    You can if you use the online up date but that does not apply here in NZ
    and then again no backup DVD's.

    Seems that you can only do a Clean install from my searches on the net.

    Any one have any clues..?

    Thanks
    Possible, Jun 1, 2011

  2. Possible

    PeeCee Guest

    On 1/06/2011 2:05 p.m., Possible wrote:

    > From what I have found out its not possible here to up date a Netbook
    > with Windows 7 starter to Home Premium using a purchased DVD.
    >

    > You can if you use the online up date but that does not apply here in NZ
    > and then again no backup DVD's.
    >
    > Seems that you can only do a Clean install from my searches on the net.
    >
    > Any one have any clues..?
    >

    > Thanks

    The only comment I would make is most netbooks would bog down with Home
    Premium on them...so not a viable option.

    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 2, 2011

  3. Possible

    Possible Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:24:27 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:

    >On 1/06/2011 2:05 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>

    >> From what I have found out its not possible here to up date a Netbook
    >> with Windows 7 starter to Home Premium using a purchased DVD.
    >>

    >> You can if you use the online up date but that does not apply here in NZ
    >> and then again no backup DVD's.
    >>
    >> Seems that you can only do a Clean install from my searches on the net.
    >>
    >> Any one have any clues..?
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >The only comment I would make is most netbooks would bog down with Home
    >Premium on them...so not a viable option.
    >
    >Paul.

    Thanks for your feed back

    The MS Compatibility tool gives it a good OK and capable of running Home
    Premium, but you need to update the Ram.

    I would like to be abele to change wallpapers etc plus a few other minor
    things that have been removed that don't need a i7 to run.

    Some of the better Netbooks have HDMI sockets but these use the AMD
    chipset that is far better than the Intel by some 2000% for graphics
    use, have a look at the benchmarks you will be amazed, even then this HP
    Netbooks has a better bench mark than my P4 3.2G.

    Have a look at these bench marks.

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel Atom N570 @ 1.66GHz

    The better Netbook CPU are he AMD C-50 and the very fast AMD E-350, this
    one is fitted to the Sony 11" Netbooks, the AMD's have a decent VPU's
    fitted.

    Intel has never ever made a decent Video chip, even after they took over
    the Lockheed Martin graphic chips company, I see now they have gone into
    bed with Nvidia.

    http://news.cnet.com/Short-Take-Lockheed-Martin-sells-Real-3D-stake-to-Intel/2110-1001_3-207100.html
    Possible, Jun 2, 2011
  4. Possible

    PeeCee Guest

    On 2/06/2011 9:54 p.m., Possible wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 11:24:27 +1200, PeeCee<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 1/06/2011 2:05 p.m., Possible wrote:
    >>>

    >>> From what I have found out its not possible here to up date a Netbook
    >>> with Windows 7 starter to Home Premium using a purchased DVD.
    >>>

    >>> You can if you use the online up date but that does not apply here in NZ
    >>> and then again no backup DVD's.
    >>>
    >>> Seems that you can only do a Clean install from my searches on the net.
    >>>
    >>> Any one have any clues..?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> The only comment I would make is most netbooks would bog down with Home
    >> Premium on them...so not a viable option.
    >>
    >> Paul.

    > Thanks for your feed back
    >
    > The MS Compatibility tool gives it a good OK and capable of running Home
    > Premium, but you need to update the Ram.
    >
    > I would like to be abele to change wallpapers etc plus a few other minor
    > things that have been removed that don't need a i7 to run.
    >
    > Some of the better Netbooks have HDMI sockets but these use the AMD
    > chipset that is far better than the Intel by some 2000% for graphics
    > use, have a look at the benchmarks you will be amazed, even then this HP
    > Netbooks has a better bench mark than my P4 3.2G.
    >

    > Have a look at these bench marks.
    >
    > http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel Atom N570 @ 1.66GHz
    >

    > The better Netbook CPU are he AMD C-50 and the very fast AMD E-350, this
    > one is fitted to the Sony 11" Netbooks, the AMD's have a decent VPU's
    > fitted.
    >

    > Intel has never ever made a decent Video chip, even after they took over
    > the Lockheed Martin graphic chips company, I see now they have gone into
    > bed with Nvidia.
    >

    > http://news.cnet.com/Short-Take-Lockheed-Martin-sells-Real-3D-stake-to-Intel/2110-1001_3-207100.html

    There is a big difference between 'Capable' and 'Usable'
    Just look at the Laptops that came out with the 'Vista Capable' stickers.

    No doubt there are utilities out there that will enable you to change W7
    Starter's Desktop image etc, but at the end of the day if you want to
    use Home Premium features you are better of getting a Notebook with Home
    Premium on it in the first place.

    i.e. you gets what you pay for.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Jun 2, 2011
  5. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    [snip]
    > There is a big difference between 'Capable' and 'Usable'
    > Just look at the Laptops that came out with the 'Vista Capable'
    > stickers.

    Yep, this T60 ThinkPad that I use, for instance:

    T7400 C2D CPU w 4MB L2, 64-bit
    3GB DDR2-667
    500GB 7K2 HDD
    DVD-multi (RAM capable) drive
    ATI X1400 / 128MB
    15" 4:3 1400 x 1050 IPS screen
    Awesome keyboard
    etc.

    :)
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
    ~misfit~, Jun 3, 2011
  6. Possible

    Possible Guest

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:20:38 +1200, PeeCee <> wrote:

    >On 2/06/2011 9:54 p.m., Possible wrote:

    >>> The only comment I would make is most netbooks would bog down with Home
    >>> Premium on them...so not a viable option.
    >>>
    >>> Paul.

    >> Thanks for your feed back
    >>
    >> The MS Compatibility tool gives it a good OK and capable of running Home
    >> Premium, but you need to update the Ram.
    >>
    >> I would like to be abele to change wallpapers etc plus a few other minor
    >> things that have been removed that don't need a i7 to run.
    >>
    >> Some of the better Netbooks have HDMI sockets but these use the AMD
    >> chipset that is far better than the Intel by some 2000% for graphics
    >> use, have a look at the benchmarks you will be amazed, even then this HP
    >> Netbooks has a better bench mark than my P4 3.2G.
    >>

    >> Have a look at these bench marks.
    >>
    >> http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel Atom N570 @ 1.66GHz
    >>

    >> The better Netbook CPU are he AMD C-50 and the very fast AMD E-350, this
    >> one is fitted to the Sony 11" Netbooks, the AMD's have a decent VPU's
    >> fitted.
    >>

    >> Intel has never ever made a decent Video chip, even after they took over
    >> the Lockheed Martin graphic chips company, I see now they have gone into
    >> bed with Nvidia.
    >>

    >> http://news.cnet.com/Short-Take-Lockheed-Martin-sells-Real-3D-stake-to-Intel/2110-1001_3-207100.html
    >>

    >There is a big difference between 'Capable' and 'Usable'
    >Just look at the Laptops that came out with the 'Vista Capable' stickers.
    >
    >No doubt there are utilities out there that will enable you to change W7
    >Starter's Desktop image etc, but at the end of the day if you want to
    >use Home Premium features you are better of getting a Notebook with Home
    >Premium on it in the first place.
    >
    >i.e. you gets what you pay for.
    >
    >Best
    >Paul.

    I have been in 3 shops here all the Notebooks and all but one of the
    Netbooks have shiny screens, this I cant stand, but the Netbook I
    brought for my Wife has a Mat screen, a very big +

    Every monitor and TV's in this house all have mat screens..

    I don't think that any Notebooks come with Home Premium.
    Possible, Jun 3, 2011
  7. Possible

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs PeeCee wrote:
    > [snip]
    >> There is a big difference between 'Capable' and 'Usable'
    >> Just look at the Laptops that came out with the 'Vista Capable'
    >> stickers.

    > Yep, this T60 ThinkPad that I use, for instance:
    >
    > T7400 C2D CPU w 4MB L2, 64-bit
    > 3GB DDR2-667
    > 500GB 7K2 HDD
    > DVD-multi (RAM capable) drive
    > ATI X1400 / 128MB
    > 15" 4:3 1400 x 1050 IPS screen
    > Awesome keyboard
    > etc.
    >
    > :)

    Shite! Forgot to reply to the bit that was my whole point!

    > i.e. you gets what you pay for.

    Yep, for what I paid for this T60 second-hand a couple of years ago I could
    have got *three* new netbooks. I wonder if I'd bought those netbooks, if any
    of them would still be going? Y'all can ask me how my T60 is going in five
    years time. Probably in ten years too.

    (I have Win 7 Ultimate installed on another HDD. For now I prefer XP
    although W7/U *appears* to be much faster on the same hardware. I put the W7
    HDD in now-and-then and update etc.)

    ~misfit~, Jun 3, 2011
  8. Re: HP Netbook Win 7 Starter Upgrade

    In message <is92bp$8g6$>, PeeCee wrote:

    > No doubt there are utilities out there that will enable you to change W7
    > Starter's Desktop image etc, but at the end of the day if you want to
    > use Home Premium features you are better of getting a Notebook with Home
    > Premium on it in the first place.
    >
    > i.e. you gets what you pay for.

    Linux seems to be the only option for future upgrades on hardware like this.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 3, 2011
  9. Possible

    PeeCee Guest

    On 3/06/2011 1:09 p.m., Possible wrote:
    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2011 10:20:38 +1200, PeeCee<> wrote:

    > I don't think that any >>>>>>>> Notebooks <<<<<<< come with Home Premium.

    er I think you mean 'Netbook' don't you?

    Agree about the shiny screens, a triumph of marketing over engineering.

    P.
    PeeCee, Jun 4, 2011