HP mini with XP Pro

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by - Bobb -, Dec 24, 2008.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    - Bobb -, Dec 24, 2008

  2. On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, - Bobb - wrote:

    > http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=1549&CatId=4182
    > I've been browsing various sites and maybe someone knows ...
    > Why is the PC almost twice the price with Vista business or XP Pro ? ( vs.
    > Vista Home or XP Home)
    > It wouldn't cost that much extra to buy off the shelf

    They've decided one is standard, so they buy in mass quantities and
    install in a very assembly line fashion.

    The other they've decided to offer, but only to those who want it. Thus
    it's a "custom" install, and they charge more for that effort.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Dec 24, 2008

  3. - Bobb -

    Baron Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=1549&CatId=4182
    > I've been browsing various sites and maybe someone knows ...
    > Why is the PC almost twice the price with Vista business or XP Pro ? (
    > vs. Vista Home or XP Home)
    > It wouldn't cost that much extra to buy off the shelf

    Profit making. There are people still daft enough to want Vista !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Dec 25, 2008
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >

    > http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=1549&CatId=4182
    >> I've been browsing various sites and maybe someone knows ...
    >> Why is the PC almost twice the price with Vista business or XP Pro ? (
    >> vs. Vista Home or XP Home)
    >> It wouldn't cost that much extra to buy off the shelf

    > Profit making. There are people still daft enough to want Vista !
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    I want XP Pro on it ( not xp Home nor any Vista) and figured if I can buy
    online for $200, why charge $350 ? Because they can, I know - but just
    seems nutty. Maybe small business owners who can write it off are the
    buyers ???
    http://www.officemax.com/omax/catal...ms&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=23-15308287-2

    - Bobb -, Dec 25, 2008
  5. - Bobb -

    Robert Miles Guest

    "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >

    > http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=1549&CatId=4182
    >> I've been browsing various sites and maybe someone knows ...
    >> Why is the PC almost twice the price with Vista business or XP Pro ? (
    >> vs. Vista Home or XP Home)
    >> It wouldn't cost that much extra to buy off the shelf

    > Profit making. There are people still daft enough to want Vista !
    >
    > --
    > Best Regards:
    > Baron.

    ..
    There are also people with hardware new enough that the only
    drivers available are for Vista only. Computer hardware
    manufacturers don't want to keep providing drivers to fit
    all the possible versions of Windows.

    Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the software included with the
    Vista business and XP Pro packages includes Outlook, but
    the software included with the Vista Home and XP Home
    packages does not.

    Robert

    Robert Miles, Dec 26, 2008
  6. - Bobb -

    Neil Green Guest

    "Robert Miles" <> wrote
    in message

    > "Baron" <> wrote
    > in message news:givub6$tbo$...
    >>- Bobb - wrote:
    >>

    >> http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=1549&CatId=4182
    >>> I've been browsing various sites and maybe someone
    >>> knows ...
    >>> Why is the PC almost twice the price with Vista
    >>> business or XP Pro ? (
    >>> vs. Vista Home or XP Home)
    >>> It wouldn't cost that much extra to buy off the
    >>> shelf

    >> Profit making. There are people still daft enough
    >> to want Vista !
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > .
    > There are also people with hardware new enough that
    > the only
    > drivers available are for Vista only. Computer
    > hardware
    > manufacturers don't want to keep providing drivers
    > to fit
    > all the possible versions of Windows.

    That's not the case yet.
    All new hardware currently available ships with XP
    drivers.

    Neil Green, Dec 26, 2008
  7. - Bobb -

    Baron Guest

    Robert Miles wrote:

    > "Baron" <> wrote in message
    >>- Bobb - wrote:

    http://www.compusa.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?MfrId=1549&CatId=4182
    >>> I've been browsing various sites and maybe someone knows ...
    >>> Why is the PC almost twice the price with Vista business or XP Pro ?
    >>> ( vs. Vista Home or XP Home)
    >>> It wouldn't cost that much extra to buy off the shelf

    >> Profit making. There are people still daft enough to want Vista !
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards:
    >> Baron.

    > .
    > There are also people with hardware new enough that the only
    > drivers available are for Vista only. Computer hardware
    > manufacturers don't want to keep providing drivers to fit
    > all the possible versions of Windows.

    I've not seen any hardware with Vista only drivers yet !

    > Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the software included with the
    > Vista business and XP Pro packages includes Outlook, but
    > the software included with the Vista Home and XP Home
    > packages does not.
    >
    > Robert

    I bought the Acer 1, Linux version ! It works just great out of the
    box. However its a bit naughty on the entertainment side when it keeps
    wanting to sell you un-crippled versions of stuff that you can download
    and install for free !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.