    <http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49296425,00.htm>
    <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=652>
    <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/107817,hps-mininote-best-laptop-under-1000.aspx>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 29, 2008

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    RL Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > What do folks think of HP's entry into the budget ultralight market? Yes,
    > it's got better specs than the Asus Eee, but it also costs more.
    >
    > <http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39030092,49296425,00.htm>
    > <http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/hiner/?p=652>
    > <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/107817,hps-mininote-best-laptop-under-1000.aspx>

    Over the years there have been numerous products in the ultra-portable
    category. Most have offered comparitively poor performance, although
    usually with low-voltage CPUs, these targeted a different market from
    other systems. Many of these have been reasonably priced as well. For
    some reason these models never seem to survive.

    Sony had the C1 Picturebook, Toshiba the Libretto. Other than the
    Libretto making a brief over-priced return a few years ago, these
    ultra-portable systems just didn't seem to attract big sales.

    It is the ultra portable market that interests me most, so I hope these,
    and better models featuring higher-end CPUs are here to stay, but I
    suspect they will be short-lived in popularity, and most people will
    still opt to buy the similarly priced 15.4" desktop replacement model.

    I'm amazed how many people think a 17" laptop is practical, or even
    think a 19" LCD is better than a 17" one with otherwise the same
    specifications, just because it is bigger.

    RL

    RL, Apr 29, 2008

  3. In article <fv6m37$pp2$>, RL did write:

    > ... these ultra-portable systems just didn't seem to attract big sales.

    You haven't heard then, that the Asus Eee has sold over a million units in
    the six months it's been on the market. Which is why vendors like HP,
    Everex, MSi and others are rushing to enter the market.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 29, 2008