  1. It seems HP dont want to sell parts for some of its MFC scanner/printer fax
    Parts not available in NZ.
    They claim to get around the CGA by saying a $400 MFC is like a consumable
    Steve Robertson, Aug 8, 2004

  2. On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 04:16:44 GMT, (Steve Robertson) wrote:

    >It seems HP dont want to sell parts for some of its MFC scanner/printer fax
    >Parts not available in NZ.
    >They claim to get around the CGA by saying a $400 MFC is like a consumable

    Why not prove them Wrong..
    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 8, 2004

  3. Steve Robertson

    Tim Guest

    Hi,

    One one side of the fence, it is absolutely absurd to argue that a scanner
    or printer is itself a consumable item. The IRD won't wear it, why should
    you? It is not up to HP to rewrite NZ's taxation and specifically asset
    depreciation schedule rules to suit them. Where is the gauge on the side of
    the printer that indicates the remaining life? Is there a software tool that
    tells you how many pages the printer will print before it dies? What
    resource is it that is consumed? Ink Yes, Ink is a consumable item,
    otherwise the printer, scanner, or MFC is not.

    Tell them it is illegal to attempt to opt out of the CGA and that there are
    very heavy fines for companies that attempt to do so. There are write ups
    about it over at the consumer web site. Just remember the old lines: The
    product must be fit for the purpose it is intended for. And. That the
    warranted life of a product is the reasonably expected life one should have
    of a product with normal use. If they don't have parts then I would think
    that they would then be obliged to either get them or replace the product.

    Better yet, get a written response from them echo these claims and lay a
    complaint with the commerce commission.

    - Tim

    Tim, Aug 8, 2004
  4. On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 20:38:53 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >One one side of the fence, it is absolutely absurd to argue that a scanner
    >or printer is itself a consumable item. The IRD won't wear it, why should
    >you? It is not up to HP to rewrite NZ's taxation and specifically asset
    >depreciation schedule rules to suit them. Where is the gauge on the side of
    >the printer that indicates the remaining life? Is there a software tool that
    >tells you how many pages the printer will print before it dies? What
    >resource is it that is consumed? Ink Yes, Ink is a consumable item,
    >otherwise the printer, scanner, or MFC is not.
    >
    >Tell them it is illegal to attempt to opt out of the CGA and that there are
    >very heavy fines for companies that attempt to do so. There are write ups
    >about it over at the consumer web site. Just remember the old lines: The
    >product must be fit for the purpose it is intended for. And. That the
    >warranted life of a product is the reasonably expected life one should have
    >of a product with normal use. If they don't have parts then I would think
    >that they would then be obliged to either get them or replace the product.
    >
    >Better yet, get a written response from them echo these claims and lay a
    >complaint with the commerce commission.
    >
    >- Tim

    HP has no spares for most of there products even if it new..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 8, 2004
  5. Steve Robertson

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 20:51:15 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER.
    <> wrote:

    >HP has no spares for most of there products even if it new..

    Obviously they have accepted that there products are not economically
    viable to repair, and hope to offset the loss from replacing the
    product,with the savings from the "spares department" which doesn't
    exist anymore.
    Bret, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Steve Robertson

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 20:38:53 +1200, Tim wrote:

    > Just remember the old lines:
    > The product must be fit for the purpose it is intended for. And. That the
    > warranted life of a product is the reasonably expected life one should
    > have of a product with normal use.

    Surely a TV or VCR should last for longer than one year with normal use!

    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"
    Divine, Aug 8, 2004
  7. In article <pan.2004.08.08.09.22.52.691820@TRACKER>,
    says...
    > On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 20:38:53 +1200, Tim wrote:
    >
    > > Just remember the old lines:
    > > The product must be fit for the purpose it is intended for. And. That the
    > > warranted life of a product is the reasonably expected life one should
    > > have of a product with normal use.

    > Surely a TV or VCR should last for longer than one year with normal use!

    Should be worth 10 years or more. A printer / MFC should have a life of
    at least five years.

    I've heard similar claims made about HP monitors, that seems to back up
    the claims.
    Patrick Dunford, Aug 8, 2004
  8. Steve Robertson

    Harry Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:

    > It seems HP dont want to sell parts for some of its MFC scanner/printer
    > fax Parts not available in NZ.
    > They claim to get around the CGA by saying a $400 MFC is like a consumable

    When it breaks under warranty down ask them for a total replacement.
    Just like you would for a disk drive.
    When it is out of warranty I guess you are stuffed.
    Best to buy an other make - HP isn't the good company it used to be.
    Harry, Aug 8, 2004
  9. Steve Robertson

    Tim Guest

    Rubbish.

    Tim, Aug 8, 2004
  10. On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:03:48 +1200, "Tim" <> wrote:

    >Rubbish.

    NO FACT..

    We do service stuff do you..?

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 9, 2004
  11. In article <KmoRc.10612$>, Harry <> wrote:
    >Steve Robertson wrote:
    >
    >> It seems HP dont want to sell parts for some of its MFC scanner/printer
    >> fax Parts not available in NZ.
    >> They claim to get around the CGA by saying a $400 MFC is like a consumable

    >When it breaks under warranty down ask them for a total replacement.
    >Just like you would for a disk drive.
    >When it is out of warranty I guess you are stuffed.
    >Best to buy an other make - HP isn't the good company it used to be.

    How many people would by these things if they knew it would have NO
    spare parts backup after warranty expires.
    Many inkjet printers arnt worth the cost of repairs but what if $400
    units could be fixed with a 5c piece of plastic.
    Steve Robertson, Aug 9, 2004
  12. Steve Robertson

    Howard Guest

    Steve Robertson wrote:

    > How many people would by these things if they knew it would have NO
    > spare parts backup after warranty expires.
    > Many inkjet printers arnt worth the cost of repairs but what if $400
    > units could be fixed with a 5c piece of plastic.

    While not necessarily condoning HP's apparent practice of not
    maintaining spares, I do note that most of my recent repairs have had
    very low parts costs, even those ordered in from overseas, while the
    service component of the repair bill is always sizeable, typically a
    minimum of 2 hours @ $60 per hour +GST.

    It puts the question of repairing a $400 item outside of its (assumed
    3 year) warranty period into perspective. Certainly I wouldn't repair
    such an item...

    -H
    Howard, Aug 9, 2004

  13. >It puts the question of repairing a $400 item outside of its (assumed
    >3 year) warranty period into perspective. Certainly I wouldn't repair
    >such an item...

    Unfortunately some employers dont give the option of turning away
    work, even if its obvious that it wont be repairable.
    Steve Robertson, Aug 10, 2004