    Do I have defective sound, or is that the way HP is building them
    these days?
    , Jul 23, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dont know if this is the right forum for this question but... I
    > recently purchased an HP m8120n Media Center desktop computer. My only
    > complaint is the audio output. Its feeble to say the least. When using
    > headphones and listening to music with the volume all the way up, its
    > not loud enough and the audio quality isnt that great. When watching a
    > DVD with headphones, the sound is not even close to being loud enough.
    > Do I have defective sound, or is that the way HP is building them
    > these days?

    One thing to check would be ALL the audio settings, not just the one speaker
    control. You should have a speaker in the system tray, right? Double-click
    that. You should see a whole row of sliders for different devices in the PC.
    If those are low, then then master volume won't help much at all. Typically,
    I run all the individual items at 70 or 80 percent, then run the master much
    lower - that gives me room to crank it up when I want to.

    Then again, many modern PCs have limited output built in, since most users
    have powered speakers. The computer's audio output is low so it doesn't
    over-drive the input on the powered speakers.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 23, 2007

  3. JANA Guest

    Make sure that the audio is properly set up.

    You can get to the volume control set-up by clicking on Start - Programs -
    Accessories - Entertainment - Volume Control.

    To start, make sure that the sliders are pushed up, and no check marks are
    in place to mute the sound.

    If you are plugging headphones directly in to the audio output of the sound
    card, or non amplified speakers, the sound will be very low. You must use an
    amplifier device to drive any types of speakers, and any type of standard
    headphones.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 23, 2007
  4. Guest

    Yeah, ive cranked the slider all the way up. Its bad enough that the
    computers speaker outputs arent powered, but when the headphone output
    also has no power, its basically unusable for listening to music or
    watching a DVD. I just cant believe that you now need to use some
    kind of external amplifier to get good sound from a brand new
    computer. 10 yrs ago, the audio power was in the computer itself.

    > One thing to check would be ALL the audio settings, not just the one speaker
    > control. You should have a speaker in the system tray, right? Double-click
    > that. You should see a whole row of sliders for different devices in the PC.
    > If those are low, then then master volume won't help much at all. Typically,
    > I run all the individual items at 70 or 80 percent, then run the master much
    > lower - that gives me room to crank it up when I want to.
    >
    > Then again, many modern PCs have limited output built in, since most users
    > have powered speakers. The computer's audio output is low so it doesn't
    > over-drive the input on the powered speakers.
    >
    > --
    > I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    , Jul 23, 2007
  5. Mr. Arnold Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dont know if this is the right forum for this question but... I
    > recently purchased an HP m8120n Media Center desktop computer. My only
    > complaint is the audio output. Its feeble to say the least. When using
    > headphones and listening to music with the volume all the way up, its
    > not loud enough and the audio quality isnt that great. When watching a
    > DVD with headphones, the sound is not even close to being loud enough.
    > Do I have defective sound, or is that the way HP is building them
    > these days?

    I got an HP dv9000 Entertainment laptop. I noticed too that the sound coming
    out of the speakers or the headphones, not like it was with my old laptop
    that was Compaq that bit the died.

    So, I went in the Sound off of Control/Sound/Playback/Properties/Adv and set
    it 2 channel 24 bit, 48000 Hz Studio Quality and it kicks in pretty good
    when adjusting volume control higher.
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 23, 2007
  6. Guest

    Thanks all for replying. I've looked into all the proper settings. It
    looks like there is no getting around it, this brand new so called
    "Media Center" HP m8120n computer, can't be properly used for any kind
    of audio, including watching DVDs, without hooking it up to an
    external amplifier. I guess its buyer beware. I just think its
    ridiculous considering that my old HP from 6 yrs ago, didn't even have
    a sound card... just an audio chip on the motherboard, and you could
    plug unpowered speakers in and/or headphones, and get more than enough
    dbs of sound. I rarely even turned it up half way, because it would be
    too loud.