HP Laserjet x64 Drivers..... not!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mark Reis, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Mark Reis

    Mark Reis Guest

    I was wondering if anyone has been able to find HP laserjet 9050 printer
    drivers for XP x64. While browsing HPs site, I found the following driver:

    Listed as: Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition
    file name: lj9040-9050psxp64-200364-en.exe

    Now this driver fails to install and if you dig into the printer driver
    inf you see that it is only for the IA64.

    [HPC9050S.PPD.NTia64]

    Now according to the MS requirements page, IA64 bit is not supported by
    XP x64 (however the tech on HP live chat attempted to say that the HP
    driver only supported IA64).....

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/sysreqs.mspx

    We'll have to see if they still keep the link up.... All I have to say
    is Argh!

    -Mark
    Mark Reis, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Well, there are persons or company's that might just happen to be running
    Windows XP 64-Bit for IA64, who might just happen to have a HP laserjet 9050
    printer.

    I consider Itanium 64 bit to be true 64 bit, x64 is just an extension (a
    powerful one) added to the x86 line of processors from AMD and Intel.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005

  3. Mark -- well, technically, that listing is correct. The "XP 64-bit Edition"
    is the old ia64 version. Nice that the did a driver for it, but useless for
    those of us running XP x64 Edition. They are two very different products, and
    the x64 Edition is the only one currently available. Microsoft has decided
    (correctly, IMHO) that they will not release further versions of the client
    (ie, XP) that support the Itanium architecture.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2005
  4. But wouldn't that Printer driver for XP IA64 also work with Server 2003 IA64
    too Charlie?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  5. Mark Reis

    Mark Reis Guest

    Hello Andre,

    I understand the semantics between the IA64 and x64 architectures.

    My point is that IA64 is not supported in the official Windows XP 64
    launch. The last version of XP for IA64 I found on the MSDN download
    site was a beta build listed in 2003 (MS also confirmed that they nix'd
    IA64 support in XP back in January). My point was that HP recently
    released (April 1 2005) a driver for Windows XP 64 bit version that only
    contained IA64 support. It just seems silly that HP would release a
    driver on April 1 that it would contain the IA64 drivers for a old and
    unsupported beta OS.

    -Mark

    Mark Reis, Jun 1, 2005
  6. yes, it should, though there are some differences between the two. And that's
    why it should remain available for ia64 customers. But nothing will make it
    work on x64, I'm reasonably sure -- VERY different architectures.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Mark Reis

    Rick Guest

    Perhaps it's only partially illogical. Don't forget there is an Itanium
    version of Windows Server 2003 and that driver would be useful on that
    system.

    You can download a Trial version at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

    Trial CD
    The following trial versions of Windows Server 2003 are available on CD:

    • Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition with SP1 (32-bit)

    • Windows Server 2003, Enterprise x64 Edition (64-bit)

    • Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition with SP1 for Itanium-based
    Systems (64-bit)

    Rick, Jun 1, 2005
  8. So, you are saying then IA64 will forever be relegated to the Server and
    never come back to the desktop not even as an evolution of Intels processor
    line.

    I'm thinking of IA64 more like what NT was at one time, only for businesses
    but eventually it slowly began to creep into even home environments because
    people realized it was a reliable OS and soon Microsoft standardized it with
    XP by making it the default architecture for all future versions of Windows.

    Wouldn't you see a similar approach happening at Intel maybe? Yes,
    application performance and support has to be there, but don't you think
    Intel might say 5 to 10 years from now start promoting it as the true 64 bit
    platform heralded in performance on the Server?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  9. Well, its HP, they help co-develop the processor with Intel, so its probably
    a hidden evangelism for the virtues of IA64. ;-)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  10. Frankly, no, I don't see a client future for ia64. I may be wrong, but
    certainly MS has backed off it and shows no inclination to return to ia64 for
    the client any time soon.

    5-10 years? You must be joking. I would never presume to speculate on what
    might be used in that time frame. But I rather doubt the Itanium is the
    solution even in that time frame. There is still a LOT of headroom on the x64
    architecture, and additional ways they can go with it. Plus you have both AMD
    and Intel driving it, as opposed to Intel on their own.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2005
  11. Mark Reis

    Alan Morris Guest

    I think Mark Reis is more concerned with getting a dang driver for the
    printer. HP has been working on making x64 drivers available. I think they
    will start with the high end business need devices first but they realize
    that x64 is a growing consumer market and know they need compatiblity in
    that market. In the mean time use an inbox HP driver. The tray selection
    will be off but the job language will be the same. Let HP know that you
    have the x64 OS installed and await print driver availablity on this
    platform.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    Alan Morris, Jun 1, 2005
  12. Sounds good to me, but how do I know, what Driver to choose for my HP 1012
    Laser Printer?

    Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus der Stadt des Euro
    With Regards from the City of the Euro

    Holger Pfister

    Internet: www.holger-pfister.de

    Holger Pfister, Jun 4, 2005
  13. To get the HP 1012 working, select the HP LaserJet 1100 (MS) printer driver.

    David Scheidt, Jun 5, 2005
  14. Thanks for your help! It works without Problems...

    Holger Pfister

    Holger Pfister, Jun 5, 2005
  15. Mark Reis

    Phydeux Guest

    You might have better luck trying an older driver. A lot of HP laser
    printers use similar driver bases, its the "extras" that differ most. So if
    you find a driver for the 4000 series in there it may work. I personally
    have an ancient 5L and a DJ932C and there were native drivers.

    Phydeux, Sep 18, 2005