    Anybody able to help.

    Thanks
    Liz
    lizzieb, Jul 9, 2005

  2. lizzieb

    rainman Guest

    rainman, Jul 9, 2005

  3. lizzieb

    lizzieb Guest

    Thanks Rainman - I expected Laserjet III to come before Laserjet 4 in the
    list of printers!!! And of course it comes after the 8000 series.

    Liz

    "rainman" <> wrote in message
    lizzieb, Jul 10, 2005
  4. On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:06:03 +0000 (UTC), "lizzieb"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks Rainman - I expected Laserjet III to come before Laserjet 4 in the
    >list of printers!!! And of course it comes after the 8000 series.
    >
    >Liz

    On a related note...I had an old Dexxa scanner that XP and Dexxa
    didn't provide a driver for (it was older than XP), and a Google
    search found one that some individual had coded for his own use, then
    posted.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 10, 2005
  5. lizzieb

    MeTech Guest

    The HP-III doesn't support USB. Unless you have a JetDirect card
    for networking (10mb/s) the only connections are serial or parallel to the
    PC. If you can't find the drivers on HP's website or anywhere else
    then it's going to be difficult to install that printer on the customers PC.
    JetDirect network interface cards are a dime a dozen and can be found
    on the internet. However, be aware, they only run at 10BaseT (10MB/S)
    not 100BaseT (100MB/S). However, on a home network that shouldn't
    be a problem.

    The HP-III is, along with the HP-4, old technology and drivers/support
    is not easy to find. When installing did you set the printer for PostScript?
    If you did, turn that off, it's not needed. The HP-4, however, is supported
    in Windows XP as you have noticed. What you might try is a generic laser
    printer driver in Windows XP and see how that works for you.

    An alternative is to buy an HP-4, if you want to stick with similiar
    technology,
    noting wrong with that. Try looking on eBay. I bought a used HP-4 in
    excellent
    condition for $19.00 (Buy it now) price on eBay. It has the JetDirect
    printer NIC and
    does a nice job on my home network. Who cares about speed on a home
    network,
    it's simply not necessary to have 100BaseT printer NICs. Too many people
    get wrapped
    up with "speed" but with printing, who really cares except the "purest".

    Both the HP-III and 4 print 8 PPM B/W. The only downside to these printers,
    other
    than drivers being hard to find, is the toner cartridges, they're expensive.
    If I were chosing
    between the III or 4 I would pick the 4 since the drum is in the cartridge
    where the III has
    the drum internal to the printer.

    MeTech

    "rainman" <> wrote in message